Random Basketball Observations

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

can't you go five minutes without putting black people down?

Jeff Stotts ‏@RotowireATC Hear me out. Mavs sign Seth Curry, Jason Thompson, & Gerald Green. Then roll out a lineup of Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes, & Bogut.

have to love JR Smith   J.R. Smith apparently drives a $450,000 armored truck around New York City now    

I was flipping through channels the other day and I came across an AAU game on one of the ESPN channels. I don't know if this is normal or if it was just because Doc Rivers' son was playing. But I stopped to watch for a little bit and what I saw from Austin Rivers was the most atrocious display of defense I have ever seen. Now, it was only four plays, but it was four plays in a row. They were playing a 2-3 and he was one of the 2. He moved maybe five feet from his spot on one play, just enough to pretend that he was guarding the guy taking the wide open mid range jumper. He just sort of stuck his arm out waist high. Any effort at all could've made it a contested shot. Then he stood there as another guy took a wide open shot right in front of him. Then he stood there as a guy just dribbled right past him for the layup. The fourth play was just him standing and watching the play away from him.He gave zero effort on defense. It was so bad it was offensive to me as a basketball fan to the point where I kind of actively dislike him now. (I swear this isn't a Celtic bias thing.)You could definitely see his offensive skills though.So has anybody else watched any of these AAU games? Or know anything about Austin Rivers?

And his defensive role model is Gilbert Arenas
i won't judge him by those AAU games. all they are is a showcase for athletic talent. the coaches have no power to bench him for not playing d, and so he won't. if he shows up to Duke, my money is on Coach K getting him to use that athleticism to play some D.

2010 NBA Christmas Day ScheduleMatchup Coverage Time Bulls vs. Knicks ESPN, Noon ET Celtics vs. Magic ABC 2:30 ET Heat vs. Lakers ABC, 5 ET Nuggets vs. Thunder ESPN, 8 ET Blazers vs. Warriors ESPN, 10:30 ET Christmas basketball > Thanksgiving football

Isiah Thomas to serve as Knicks’ consultanthttp://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A...p-knicks-thomasI mean what does he have to do for Dolan to not want him around ?
uh turn them into a perennial loser thru bad draft picks and contracts that crippled them for yearssexually harrass a woman and cost them millionsuhh ok you got me
2010 NBA Christmas Day ScheduleMatchup Coverage Time Bulls vs. Knicks ESPN, Noon ET Celtics vs. Magic ABC 2:30 ET Heat vs. Lakers ABC, 5 ET Nuggets vs. Thunder ESPN, 8 ET Blazers vs. Warriors ESPN, 10:30 ET Christmas basketball > Thanksgiving football
wait i thought Cavs basketball was the new christmas tradition - where are the cavs?

isiah thomas hired as a consultant with the knicks.ummm, are they retarded. he has to be one of the worst GM's in nba history. reports out that this is just a precursor to donnie walsh getting the boot and isiah back running the team. i mean, no one could be that stupid. not even james dolan, right?

NBA commissioner David Stern announced Monday that the Toronto Raptors and New Jersey Nets will play a pair of regular-season games in London this season.Dear London,If this is a success, we'll even consider sending a couple of real teams over next year.David SternNBA Commissioner

NBA commissioner David Stern announced Monday that the Toronto Raptors and New Jersey Nets will play a pair of regular-season games in London this season.Dear London,If this is a success, we'll even consider sending a couple of real teams over next year.David SternNBA Commissioner
YES, a team the Raptors can beat!I was in Brooklyn last week, saw the new arena going up. I've decided to become a Nets fan. (I just wanna root for Brooklyn)Thats right, Raptors+Nets for me baby! 2031 here I come!
For what it's worth (hint: not much), ESPN had Toronto last in their Eastern Conference predictions.
well, to be fair, they are TIED for 14th.How about those Nets though, improving by 15wins!

NBA schedule is out. TV highlights:ABC - six appearances by the Lakers, five appearances by the Celtics, Heat and Magic, and multiple appearances by the Bulls, Thunder, Suns and San Antonio Spurs.ESPN - 10 appearances – the most permitted – by the Celtics, Heat, Lakers, Mavericks, Nuggets and Suns; nine appearances by the Bulls, Spurs, Thunder and Trail Blazers; eight appearances by the Utah Jazz, Knicks and Magic; six appearances by the Warriors; and four appearance by the Atlanta Hawks, Clippers and Milwaukee Bucks; First Lakers-Celtics game is January 30th (on ABC of course).Lakers at Miami is March 10th and not nationally televised (Miami at Lakers is one of the Christmas games).

Original Dream Teamers gather and talk.Some highlights for me:Wilkens: "Coach Daly was a little worried about our intensity after the Tournament of the Americas. So I went to Magic and told him, and he said, 'Don't worry. I'll take care of it.'"Magic: "So I went to Michael and said, 'I'm coming at you, so we can get this going, but don't turn into Michael Jordan on me.' Of course, that's what he did."Barkley: "The first day at Monte Carlo a couple of us went to the pool and found out, 'Whoa, a couple of women don't have shirts on.' So we started calling up guys. 'Hey, man, they don't have shirts on down here.' So every day after practice it was, 'Hey, man, where we going?' And the answer was: 'To the pool.'"
i won't judge him by those AAU games. all they are is a showcase for athletic talent. the coaches have no power to bench him for not playing d, and so he won't. if he shows up to Duke, my money is on Coach K getting him to use that athleticism to play some D.
100 % correct. My step-son played AAU basketball last summer....saw about 12 games. NOBODY plays D. They also play 5-7 games in 2 days so effort is not always 100%.Rivals and Scouts have him as the #1 Shooting Guard. And #3 and #2 overall respectively, so he's pretty highly thought of.Duke, Florida, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky are all on his interest list.I was at MU when his dad played and he was in my BLaw class. He's no dummy and acually went to class.Saw him on ESPN and he looks like a solid player.Dream Team Article - Bird: "Believe it or not, Scottie, I remember the first time you tried to guard me. [He meant in an NBA game.] I ain't gonna say what happened but ... Scottie came a looooong way."Is Pippen the most improved top 50 Player?
WOW :club:

this seems random so also appropriate in this thread. Anybody know when you can start setting up fantasy leagues on Yahoo? this international league thru 7 cities is a real pain so I want to give as much lead time as possible.

Blog article that tries to quantify chemistry.Basically it's comparing 5-man unit values versus the sum of their individual values to see which units outperform or underperform.
somewhat interesting but kind of meh for all intents and purposes. GMs can never quantify chemistry so they'll just stock up on talent and pray. Chemistry is a magic word we associate to winning. Kobe had no chemistry with his teammates in those crap years and all of a sudden had great chemistry with the single addition of Pau Gasol.
somewhat interesting but kind of meh for all intents and purposes. GMs can never quantify chemistry so they'll just stock up on talent and pray. Chemistry is a magic word we associate to winning. Kobe had no chemistry with his teammates in those crap years and all of a sudden had great chemistry with the single addition of Pau Gasol.
Two words... Ron Artest.