Random Basketball Observations

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

can't you go five minutes without putting black people down?

Jeff Stotts ‏@RotowireATC Hear me out. Mavs sign Seth Curry, Jason Thompson, & Gerald Green. Then roll out a lineup of Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes, & Bogut.

have to love JR Smith   J.R. Smith apparently drives a $450,000 armored truck around New York City now    

Nobody sends me to espn.com more than Poppy.I love Jamison; I think he'll fit in well with Lebron.
Much better fit than Amare (who the Heat should have an easier time prying loose from Phoenix now that the main competitor is out of the race).Of course, this makes the Cavs unstoppable (on paper).
Much better fit than Amare (who the Heat should have an easier time prying loose from Phoenix now that the main competitor is out of the race).Of course, this makes the Cavs unstoppable (on paper).
We'll see how they use him. If they plan on spotting him up to "spread the floor" for Lebron and shoot 3's, it won't make them any better. He's an average 3-pt shooter who certainly doesn't help them defensively. Most minutes they've got three shooters on the court with Lebron, whether it be Mo Williams, West, Parker, or Gibson, who are all substantially better shooters than Jamison. So if he's taking perimeter shots from those guys, opponents will welcome that.If they're exclusively putting him on the block and making him a finisher off pick and rolls, I can see that helping them and Lebron a lot more, which is absolutely necessary since they're going to have matchup problems against teams with bigger frontlines, i.e. Celtics, Lakers.
We'll see how they use him. If they plan on spotting him up to "spread the floor" for Lebron and shoot 3's, it won't make them any better. He's an average 3-pt shooter who certainly doesn't help them defensively. Most minutes they've got three shooters on the court with Lebron, whether it be Mo Williams, West, Parker, or Gibson, who are all substantially better shooters than Jamison. So if he's taking perimeter shots from those guys, opponents will welcome that.If they're exclusively putting him on the block and making him a finisher off pick and rolls, I can see that helping them and Lebron a lot more, which is absolutely necessary since they're going to have matchup problems against teams with bigger frontlines, i.e. Celtics, Lakers.
He doesn't need to be a spot up guy. He's good at working without the basketball and nobody can get a shot off in traffic faster than he can. I think he's a great complement to Lebron when he drives; if everybody collapses on him, he can just dump it off to Jamison for a near-the-basket shot, which is better than always kicking it out for a long-range shot.Now, I haven't really seen Jamison play much in a couple years, so I might be way off on this.

Tracy McGrady and Sergio Rodriguez to Knicks.Kevin Martin, Hilton Armstrong, Jordan Hill, and Jared Jeffries to Houston.Carl Landry, Joey Dorsey, and Larry Hughes to Sacramento.I don't know who Hilton or Dorsey are.Separate deal:The Knicks send Nate Robinson and a second player to Boston for Eddie House, Bill Walker and J.R. Giddens.The Knicks now probably have enough cap space to make two max contract offers.

Tracy McGrady and Sergio Rodriguez to Knicks.Kevin Martin, Hilton Armstrong, Jordan Hill, and Jared Jeffries to Houston.Carl Landry, Joey Dorsey, and Larry Hughes to Sacramento.I don't know who Hilton or Dorsey are.Separate deal:The Knicks send Nate Robinson and a second player to Boston for Eddie House, Bill Walker and J.R. Giddens.The Knicks now probably have enough cap space to make two max contract offers.
Here's the fleshed out deal including the draft picks that the Knicks are giving up which are a bigger part of the deal than most of the players involved.I love Carl Landry, great pick up for Sac at only $3 million next year.
The Houston Rockets, Sacramento Kings and New York Knicks have reached agreement on a three-team trade that sends Tracy McGrady(notes) to New York.The Rockets had struck a deal with the Kings late Wednesday to acquire Kevin Martin(notes), but expanded the trade to include the Knicks at the urging of McGrady’s agent Arn Tellem.The completed trade will send McGrady and Kings point guard Sergio Rodriguez(notes) to New York. Houston lands Martin, Knicks forwards Jordan Hill(notes) and Jarred Jeffries and draft picks to the Rockets. The Kings will receive Rockets forward Carl Landry(notes) and center Joey Dorsey(notes) and Knicks guard Larry Hughes(notes).By trading Hill and Jeffries, the Knicks clear enough salary-cap space to potentially allow them to sign two star free agents this summer. In return, the Knicks will swap 2011 draft picks with the Rockets and send them their 2012 first-round selection.McGrady’s agent, Arn Tellem, helped broker the trade. He also represents several Kings, including rookie star Tyreke Evans(notes). Tellem was involved with Houston and New York in discussions about a two-team trade between them, and sources say he was upset with Wednesday’s deal to Sacramento and worked diligently to include the Knicks in the trade

I am STUNNED the Heat ended up doing nothing. And the Knicks now might have enough cap room to sign two max guys. This was a horrible, horrible day. I have no idea why they never offered much for Amare and I have no idea why they ended up fixated on Boozer (who is hurt a lot and overrated imo). Almost glad they lost out on Boozer.It is just a lot easier to imagine Wade leaving for Chicago or NY after today.

He doesn't need to be a spot up guy. He's good at working without the basketball and nobody can get a shot off in traffic faster than he can. I think he's a great complement to Lebron when he drives; if everybody collapses on him, he can just dump it off to Jamison for a near-the-basket shot, which is better than always kicking it out for a long-range shot.Now, I haven't really seen Jamison play much in a couple years, so I might be way off on this.
You're absolutely right, if they let Jamison do what he do, they'll be alright.
I am STUNNED the Heat ended up doing nothing. And the Knicks now might have enough cap room to sign two max guys. This was a horrible, horrible day. I have no idea why they never offered much for Amare and I have no idea why they ended up fixated on Boozer (who is hurt a lot and overrated imo). Almost glad they lost out on Boozer.It is just a lot easier to imagine Wade leaving for Chicago or NY after today.
Supposedly they offered what they could for Stoudemire, but the package centered around Beasley, whom Phoenix had little interest in.
You're absolutely right, if they let Jamison do what he do, they'll be alright.Supposedly they offered what they could for Stoudemire, but the package centered around Beasley, whom Phoenix had little interest in.
I heard they were loathe to even offer Beasley but yeah I had heard Phoenix does not like Beasley much. Still, I am surprised Miami could not swing a deal that offered that cheapskate Sarver a lot of cap relief. Oh well.
I heard they were loathe to even offer Beasley but yeah I had heard Phoenix does not like Beasley much. Still, I am surprised Miami could not swing a deal that offered that cheapskate Sarver a lot of cap relief. Oh well.
One of the ESPN Twitter guys made the comment that Miami sure was holding onto their draft picks tightly for a team who are unlikely to draft anyone who's going to make a big difference anyway.

Also loving the Bulls moves today!!!We'll have close to 25mil under the cap next year. That's at least a max and a half. Not sure how much Joe Johnson is going to command, but rumor was they wanted a Bosh/Johnson combo, or Wade. I'd be ecstatic over either one. Plus sign and trades are possible after the season, maybe to move Hinrich finally.

One of the ESPN Twitter guys made the comment that Miami sure was holding onto their draft picks tightly for a team who are unlikely to draft anyone who's going to make a big difference anyway.
Seriously, they have two first rounders next year and tons of expiring guys. If they really wanted to get something done, they could have. Wade should/could be livid.Palm Beach Post is reporting that the Heat refused to include Beasley in ANY trade offers. Guess Riley likes him now. I would have packaged him and a 1st rounder and Jermaine's expiring contract and Chalmers to phoenix for Stoudamire and Barbosa.
Not sure how much Joe Johnson is going to command, but rumor was they wanted a Bosh/Johnson combo, or Wade. I'd be ecstatic over either one. Plus sign and trades are possible after the season, maybe to move Hinrich finally.
I think Johnson will end up being overpaid by a team that goes after Lebron and/or Wade and doesn't get either. Like the Knicks. Getting both Johnson and Bosh would be a nice consolation prize for missing out on the big two, but getting just one of them would be disappointing.
I think Johnson will end up being overpaid by a team that goes after Lebron and/or Wade and doesn't get either. Like the Knicks. Getting both Johnson and Bosh would be a nice consolation prize for missing out on the big two, but getting just one of them would be disappointing.
This off season is going to be a train wreck for the Knicks and many teams. There are going to be a lot of players signed longterm for big money that they just aren't worth simply because teams have the cap space and have to do something. They are going to follow the Pistons sign Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva model of screwing your team for years with bad contracts on players who don't deserve them.There are two players this off season who are worth max money in LeBron and Wade. You sign them you win. You sign anybody else and pretty good chance you'll end up regretting it in 2011.The Knicks now basically have Danilo Gallinari, a few back ups and cap space. They've traded away their 2011 First Round pick and flipped picks with Houston for 2010 unless it's first overall.Why would either LeBron or D Wade want to go there ?
http://disciplesofclyde.com/?p=867
Is Donnie Walsh Too Old For Us to Change His Nickname to “Zeke”Who likes sausage? Well, you won’t after i reveal how they make it, kids. Let me walk you through this delightful scenario:» Last year the Knicks decline Sacramento’s insanely stupid offer to take Jared Jeffries for Kenny Thomas if the Knicks also sent Nate Robinson because the Knicks need Robinson for their “playoff run” that ends up netting 33 wins.» Meanwhile, the Knicks fail to sign David Lee to a reasonable contract extension over the previous two years in hopes of landing a second “marquee” free agent to pair with, ya know, Lebron or Wade . . . because signing one of those two was always a given.» So . . . the Knicks miss ample opportunities to pay David Lee something like 7-9 million dollars a year even as they watch him constantly improve his jump shot and post game to the point that he is going to average 21 and 12 if he ever plays with a decent point guard, making him worth something like 12-13 million dollars to one of the dozen teams that will have cap space this summer.» In anticipation of this conundrum, they draft a raw but promising but raw power forward to build up their frontcourt depth and possibly replace Lee if he signs elsewhere.» They never play the raw but promising power forward and instead give his minutes to Al Harrington and Jonathan Bender’s corpse. Nobody has any idea how good the raw but promising power forward is even though it looks like he can shoot and rebound at a very good per minute clip.» The Knicks are so happy that they held on to Nate Robinson that they celebrate by benching his ass for 14 games during a period of sustained success and then re-inserting Robinson into the lineup just before they [coincidentally] start losing lots of games again.» Then they dump Nate Robinson to Boston for . . . stuff.» Still in posession of Jared Jeffries thanks to turning down the Sacramento offer, the team must include the raw but promising rookie power forward and draft picks as incentive for the Rockets to take Jaffries. Why not include Eddy Curry, since this is all about salary anyway and Jeffries could actually contribute next year to a stripped roster? Shut up, that’s why not.» In theory, the Knicks are in a good position because, without Jeffries’ salary they can “slide two max contracts across the table to Wade and Lebron” this summer. Or one of those two and Chris Bosh. And then all the planning will have worked to perfection if . . . two of those players decide to leave their teams. Because the one thing that both Wade and Lebron have learned throughout the years is that you don’t need point guards, depth or big men to win in the playoffs.» Humble podcaster Ken Drews wonders aloud to nobody if the fact that Darryl Morey, the stat-geek GM who finds undervalued players that contribute insane value, likes Jordan Hill means that Jordan Hill might just be MUCH BETTER than Mike D’Antoni thought.» Of course, wIth nobody on the team to replace him, the Knicks have to take it up the ass from Lee’s agent this summer if the other free agents decide not to come to NY, leaving them with a 9 million dollar a year player who is signed for five years and 65 million.So there you have it. If you don’t care how the sausage is made then this is a good day to be a Knick fan. They have lots of cap space for a deep free agent class, Eddy Curry’s expiring contract (for next year) to trade, two young quality rotation players (Chandler, Gallo), threetalented young wild cards (Sergio Rodriguez, Toney Douglas, Bill Walker), and a top tier coach (Mr. Pringles). For the first time in a decade, the Knicks are in good (if precarious) shape.Hey, I’d feel even worse if I was Sacto fan (sorry, Ziller). They get a little cap relief for a major NBA talent, yet somehow Franscisco Garcia and Nocioni are still on their team until the next ice age. Lovely.And I’d be tripping balls right now if the Knicks had a GM like Morey. Jeez, he played Walsh and Geoff Petrie like hand puppets. Talk about making something out of nothing. He turns the franchise-killing McGrady injury last year into one of the most efficient perimeter scorers in the NBA, and all it cost him was former second round pick Carl Landry (which is a tough loss mitigated by the fact that they just got Jordan freaking Hill). Not only that, kids, but the salary albatross that he absorbed for all his trouble is a decent player who will contribute to Houston for the next year and a half with his good defense and unselfish play, making him a valuable expiring contract next year.
Why would either LeBron or D Wade want to go there ?
This is exactly what I'm hoping!With NY in shambles, the Bulls look like prime real estate right now. We cleared all that space and didn't even get rid of a starter.

How 'bout those games tonight?-I don't like Lebron. It may be just his face expression, but when something doesn't go his way he looks like a spoiled child pouting.-I love Carmelo Anthony. Always have. His J is so sexy.-I wish I could hear Larry David's inner monologue while sitting courtside at an NBA game.-I wish Kobe would have come out of the locker room with his jersey on for the last 2.2 seconds.

I don't think we can grade him just yet. Their whole game plan has been to clear cap space to bring in Lebron (and hopefully +1). If he can do that (and I certainly wouldn't rate is as likely), then all the criticisms go away. Somebody on Bill Simmons twitter said, "Either we (NYK) get Lebron or we are an epic fail. There is no in-between." This I can agree with.
-I don't like Lebron. It may be just his face expression, but when something doesn't go his way he looks like a spoiled child pouting.-I love Carmelo Anthony. Always have. His J is so sexy.
I agree with this too.How often can you put up a 40/6/7 with a steal and 2 blocks and be outdone in each category?Check out these lines from that game:Denver: C. Anthony 40 Pts, 6 Reb, 7 Ast, 1 Stl, 2 BlkCleveland: L. James 43 Pts, 13 Reb, 15 Ast, 2 Stl, 4 Blk