What Books Are You Guys Reading?

If you like Gibson, you will probably like Neil Stephenson. Cryptonomicon was excellent.
I read Anathem and really enjoyed it. I have to put that on the list.I guess I'll check out Gibson as well as Infinate Jest.Currently on Scarpetta (reading) and Pillars of the Earth by Follett (audio).
  • Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's fun to look up that race and see how they all turned out.

I finally started reading Moneyball yesterday. I'm about halfway through and so far it's great. I'm really happy I'm finally reading it.   It's fun to insta lookup all the players they talk about

Done and done. Man, that was epic.

I like Sedaris a bunch in the right doses. His Esquire columns were intermittently hysterical.
I like nearly all of his work. "SantaLand Diaries" and the story where they tried to get their youngest sister ran over were pretty hilarious.
McGee turned me on to some graphic novels, with mostly fantastic results. Most nobably:- The Preacher- Transmetropolitan - Sandman
The graphic novel series I'm loving is Fables, by Bill Willingham. Recommend highly.

Preacher graphic novels are very good.My wife picked up "God is not great" by Christopher Hitchens. I am sure Crow, VB, LLY et al could give me a good synopsis but I am looking forward to reading it.

posting of graphic novels, I read 100 Bullets a few weeks ago. =thumbs up=, of course.as I said elsewhere, I read the latest Psych book (no not a textbook sillies) called Mind Over Magic. the author is quite good at capturing the spirit of the show. it really feels like an episode which is seemingly quite a difficult task.I'm just starting Seinfeld's Seinlanguage book (I've read it before).

The graphic novel series I'm loving is Fables, by Bill Willingham. Recommend highly.
I love Fables a whole lot
posting of graphic novels, I read 100 Bullets a few weeks ago. =thumbs up=, of course.as I said elsewhere, I read the latest Psych book (no not a textbook sillies) called Mind Over Magic. the author is quite good at capturing the spirit of the show. it really feels like an episode which is seemingly quite a difficult task.I'm just starting Seinfeld's Seinlanguage book (I've read it before).
100 bullets, not so much. I liked the way it started off, but I lost interest in it quickly when it didnt' seem to go anywhere.
I love Fables a whole lot
I'll add it to the queue.
100 bullets, not so much. I liked the way it started off, but I lost interest in it quickly when it didnt' seem to go anywhere.
It sounds interesting to me as a man of revenge, so I'm still adding it to the queue.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
great book, as is kesey's other classic 'sometimes a great notion'.been into dostoevsky lately: 'memoirs from the house of the dead'<'notes from underground'<'crime and punishment''brothers karazamov' is probably next in my "serious reading" queue.also read a lil vonnegut to split up the heaviness mentioned above- 'slapstick'it was okay but certainly not near 'slaugherhouse 5'/'cats cradle'/'breakfast of champions' level.just started 'new orleans, mon amour' by andrei cordescu, which is basically a series of vignettes about new orleans. he calls himself a surrealist, and the style lends itself well to that crazy place.
Anybody have any suggestions for reading on Linguistics or Stylistics or something?.
jacques derrida- 'of grammatology'probably one of the most influential books of the past half-century (within the field at least)

also, i would delve into infinite jest but the hardcover copy i have (recently stolen from a beach house where its absence will go unknown among the orgy of romance/action/spy novels) is currently maintaining my tv in an upright position.also, a little intimidated by the sheer size of it.i did read a collection of DFW's essays, consider the lobster and really enjoyed it (although if pretension had a voice, his would be in the running).there are worse things than pretension after all. idiocy, for one.

I just finished "The Sound and the Fury." It was insanely difficult to read, and I had to reread parts several times when I felt myself getting lost in the stream of consciousness. I'm going to have to reread it before I can say that I understand the book in any meaningful way. In case you haven't read it before, it's narrated by several different characters throughout the book and by an external narrator at the end. The characters freely (without warning) jump around throughout time, make references to events that haven't yet taken place for the reader, and focus more on what they're thinking than what they're doing. This makes it a real challenge.I think my next book will be "Sons and Lovers" by D.H. Lawrence. The only Lawrence I've read before is "The Fox," and I really enjoyed that at the time. And "Sons and Lovers" is supposed to be insanely good. Anyone read it?

Just finished the graphic novel adaptation of Fahrenheit 451. I thought it was extremely well made and really enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the original book. Other comic stuff I'm starting to get into right now are DMZ and the Surrogates.

I feel like such a teenage girl right now, but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. So I am reading the Twilight series now. Finished book 1 and while there was a ton of stupid teenage girl drama it was still an okay book overall. I am 225 pages in to New Moon and it started off terrible, but is starting to make some headway into the storyline so we'll see ...