Home Game Gun Etiquette And Other Decisions

how about the fact that i wouldn't want to play in a game if i knew that somebody there had a gun? while not a legal right, i feel its one that should be respected given the nature of the game and the consequences of what could happen.
Frankly, your desire to be informed or play in a gun-free zone would be irrelevant to me - you can feel that your desire should be respected, I just don't agree. Now if it was agreed upon standard among the players, then fine - I'd comply with that. Sort of like part of the Home Rules.
  • Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GODDAMNIT POT ODDS!All this does is give the anti-gun movement legs.You should have zero reason to carry a handgun or any other type of weapon to a poker game. If this is a game of mostly friends and low to medium stakes this is just asinine. If you are going to a home game either in a shady area, with shady people, or complete unknowns and you feel you need to carry a gun to play, YOU SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING! Your not Doyle Brunson breaking the law and running across Texas because this is the only way you can make a living.Man, this thread is pissing me off so much I am completely ignoring a conference call I am on now to type this.

Yeah. I'm just a cowboy looking for a gun fight.lol @ the Canadian stereotype
lol at you thinking that I think this way cause I'm Canadian :rolleyes:Oh, and BTW, the NRA can kiss my Canadian ass......

pot odds... some of your posts really just make me hate citizens of the United States even more than I already do. If all the gun owners in this country think the way you do, its amazing there are'nt more murders and shootings than there already are. People in extreme situations like... being in the presence of a store robbery or in a heated situation at a bar.. CARRYING A GUN!!! will make the situation 10x worse than it already is. I know you'll say that you are a responsible gun owner and a good shot... and you took a class etc. etc. etc. but all that doesnt mean shit in a real life situation like one of those... ALot of innocent people are gonna die when people like you decide to be the hero.

I think individuals carrying handguns is ridiculous. That being said, it's very efficient. For the most part it's just idiots picking off other idiots. You get the occasional 8 year old caught in the crossfire, but for the most part it's clean. If you want to carry a gun, legally or illegally, go for it. You're just that much more likely to get shot.

GODDAMNIT POT ODDS!All this does is give the anti-gun movement legs.You should have zero reason to carry a handgun or any other type of weapon to a poker game. If this is a game of mostly friends and low to medium stakes this is just asinine. If you are going to a home game either in a shady area, with shady people, or complete unknowns and you feel you need to carry a gun to play, YOU SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING! Your not Doyle Brunson breaking the law and running across Texas because this is the only way you can make a living.Man, this thread is pissing me off so much I am completely ignoring a conference call I am on now to type this.
Sorry man - I was feeling a little provocative. I guess I knew it would get polarized pretty quickly. I do think it is an interesting topic and I haven't carried into anyone's home game.
pot odds... some of your posts really just make me hate citizens of the United States even more than I already do. If all the gun owners in this country think the way you do, its amazing there are'nt more murders and shootings than there already are. People in extreme situations like... being in the presence of a store robbery or in a heated situation at a bar.. CARRYING A GUN!!! will make the situation 10x worse than it already is. I know you'll say that you are a responsible gun owner and a good shot... and you took a class etc. etc. etc. but all that doesnt mean shit in a real life situation like one of those... ALot of innocent people are gonna die when people like you decide to be the hero.
I have crazy hick cowboy buddies who have like 50 guns each, and none of them would bring an unannounced concealed hand gun to a home poker game, ever!EL G: Hey Pott Odds lean over here for a minute.Pott Odds: Why?EL G: So I can smack you in you fucking mouth!
I know dozens of people with Carry Permits - and not one has been forced to draw their weapon, much less fire it anywhere other than the range. But each knows it is there as a LAST resort.
kind of like those idiots in Virginia who think that if students were packing heat.....the Va Tech tragedy would have been averted.yes, turning a school into the OK Corral is a great idea (rolls eyes).Sorry El Guapo, but it too often seems that the majority of pro-gun people in this country think like Pot Odds and not like you. And that is dangerous.
I know dozens of people with Carry Permits - and not one has been forced to draw their weapon, much less fire it anywhere other than the range. But each knows it is there as a LAST resort.
THEN WHY BOTHER??? All you have done is make it easier for anyone (re: criminals!) to get a gun (by opposing gun control).....while all you have afforded yourself is the right to carry around something no one you know has ever had to use!
I have crazy hick cowboy buddies who have like 50 guns each, and none of them would bring an unannounced concealed hand gun to a home poker game, ever!EL G: Hey Pott Odds lean over here for a minute.Pott Odds: Why?EL G: So I can smack you in you fucking mouth!
Yeah. I know. I probably deserve it.
pot odds... some of your posts really just make me hate citizens of the United States even more than I already do.
Vtlaxter, some of your posts make me hate black people even more than I already do.You're black, right?
Sorry El Guapo, but it too often seems that the majority of pro-gun people in this country think like Pot Odds and not like you. And that is dangerous.
The same logic that all Liberals are hippy tree huggers applies here. It is just not true.Most gun ownersa: enjoy guns for various reasonsb: huntc: want it for emergency situations and protectionUsually in that order.
The same logic that all Liberals are hippy tree huggers applies here. It is just not true.Most gun ownersa: enjoy guns for various reasonsb: huntc: want it for emergency situations and protectionUsually in that order.
I think that reason a being first is a sad commentary. I also am not really a strict gun control proponent. I would just like to see the NRA support a blanket ban on automatic weapons. That would be enough of a compromise for me.
THEN WHY BOTHER??? All you have done is make it easier for anyone to get a gun.....while all you have afforded yourself is the right to carry around something no one you know has ever had to use!
OK... I'll allow myself to get sucked into the wider debate. Guess it was inevitable.Because of the thousands of times a year where it has served as a successful Last Resort for other individuals.An incident is only "Media Worthy" if it is controversial or extreme. You NEVER read about the mundane incidents that happen daily where someone used their weapon to successfully defend themselves.
I think that reason a being first is a sad commentary. I also am not really a strict gun control proponent. I would just like to see the NRA support a blanket ban on automatic weapons. That would be enough of a compromise for me.
Even if you don't like guns at all, can you not see the enjoyment of shooting a gun, whether it be a targets, beer cans, a hill, or whatever?Its fun.But whatever that is not the point of this thread, we have a few of those you can bump.This thread is about the asinine reasoning of carrying a concealed weapon into a friendly poker game.
OK... I'll allow myself to get sucked into the wider debate. Guess it was inevitable.Because of the thousands of times a year where it has served as a successful Last Resort for other individuals.An incident is only "Media Worthy" if it is controversial or extreme. You NEVER read about the mundane incidents that happen daily where someone used their weapon to successfully defend themselves.
you're right I rarely if ever read about those incidents.....but I am not willing to just assume that is because the media wont talk about them. " incidents that happen daily" strikes me as extreme hyperbole. and perhaps if it was harder for everyone to get guns there would be fewer incidents in the first place? As FCP Bob pointed out, the only people in Canada who have concealed weapons are criminals and yet they manage to have so much less gun violence that we do.I would bet for every person who successfully fended off an armed robber with a gun there is another person who got themselves shot when they could have just lost some valuables or hit an innocent bystander.if you dont want to do this all day I understand....I doubt either of us is going to change their mind.
I'm not a big "Assault" or "Automatic" Weapon guy. But I agree with the argument that a ban on them is a "slippery slope" especially since Assault/Automatic Weapons are used in such a small percentage of crimes.
Even if you don't like guns at all, can you not see the enjoyment of shooting a gun, whether it be a targets, beer cans, a hill, or whatever?Its fun.But whatever that is not the point of this thread, we have a few of those you can bump.This thread is about the asinine reasoning of carrying a concealed weapon into a friendly poker game.
sure. and you can go to a range and borrow a gun and shoot til your heart is content. you dont have to own 50 guns to enjoy guns. and I still think my proposal for a compromise is fair. you dont need automatic weapons to hit targets, hunt deer, etc.also while I like fun that is not a strong argument. there are lots of "fun" things we are not allowed to do like get into a high speed chase with police or throw bricks through windows or whatever.and yeah obv we agree about your last line.I wont post anymore on this because it is pointless. We know where we stand....
you're right I rarely if ever read about those incidents.....but I am not willing to just assume that is because the media wont talk about them. " incidents that happen daily" strikes me as extreme hyperbole. and perhaps if it was harder for everyone to get guns there would be fewer incidents in the first place? As FCP Bob pointed out, the only people in Canada who have concealed weapons are criminals and yet they manage to have so much less gun violence that we do.I would bet for every person who successfully fended off an armed robber with a gun there is another person who got themselves shot when they could have just lost some valuables or hit an innocent bystander.if you dont want to do this all day I understand....I doubt either of us is going to change their mind.
Do some research on this. Seriously. I'd cite some statistics, but you're not going to change your mind and likely not believe them and I really didn't want to have this be the debate.I really was interested in people's opinions about guns at Home Games. I guess you can't really have that debate without touching on the wider gun issues.
This guy, this guy right here, he hit the nail on the head.
I think that anybody who enters another person's home at any time while armed without getting specific permission of the homeowner should be shot.
Hell yeah!
boy a lot of you motherfuckers are stupid.
i know right!!! every time there is a thread about guns all these liberal crazy canadians come out of the cracks and get all up in arms!!!