Home Game Gun Etiquette And Other Decisions

i know right!!! every time there is a thread about guns all these liberal crazy canadians come out of the cracks and get all up in arms!!!
Actually, it's more Americans that seem to be opposed here.
  • Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooo....is it worth my time to actually read this thread?
Cliff's Notes:- Pot Odds asked what are the rules of Etiquette concerning carrying a weapon to a home game- Most began by agreeing it is not appropriate to bring a gun into someone's home without permission - the host should be informed- The Canadians and German laughed at American Gun Culture- Some Americans agreed that carrying a gun is bad- Not much else
Cliff's Notes:- Pot Odds asked what are the rules of Etiquette concerning carrying a weapon to a home game- Most began by agreeing it is not appropriate to bring a gun into someone's home without permission - the host should be informed- The Canadians and German laughed at American Gun Culture- Some Americans agreed that carrying a gun is bad- Not much else
Ty for the help

bring a gun but leave it in the glove box . if its a "friendly" game then there shldnt be any problem. although if it were my home game i wldnt care if you brought a peice as long as you were a close friend of mine . in canada there is no concelaed carrying permit for guns so i carry a knife always .

bring a gun but leave it in the glove box . if its a "friendly" game then there shldnt be any problem. although if it were my home game i wldnt care if you brought a peice as long as you were a close friend of mine . in canada there is no concelaed carrying permit for guns so i carry a knife always .
What good is leaving it in the glove box going to do? :club:

i dont know how it is in the states that allow it, but I have played in two home games that were robbed. I think if someone in the game would have had a gun then things could have gotten bad. I think maybe the host could have one, but I definately would not allow them in my game and wouldnt play in one if I knew they were allowed.

I own three hand guns and five rifles and shotguns.I have had a concealed carry permit in the past.I have never carried a concealed hand gun.Guns are not allowed at my home games.I would never go to a game where a gun may be required.

ok, so calling people "stupid motherfuckers", while calming my nerves, probably didn't convey exactly what I wanted to say, so here's my opinion on a lot of this.first off, carrying a gun to a home game is more than mildly retarded because the absolute FIRST tenant of defending oneself is to avoid situations that you would need to use a gun. if you are at a home game that is so large and unstable that you think you would need a gun to protect yourself, you are already putting yourself into a situation that indicates you aren't making good decisions, so bringing a gun into the picture ain't gonna help. now obviously any situation can turn bad under the proper circumstances, I mean granny's nursing home could get taken hostage while you're there, but when you put yourself into a situation where you specifically feel violence could erupt at any minute, there are quite a few more things you need to look at before you figure out which type of cartridge you're going to be carrying that evening.on a similar note, almost all of my friends are very pro-gun (I can't think of anybody off hand who is anti-gun that I hang out with) and I'm pretty sure any of them would feel fairly uncomfortable sitting at the poker table with another one of us carrying a pistol. its just a bit odd is all. and like someone else said, it can be a very emotional game. we (as in gun advocates) certainly don't need another anger induced shooting spree to deal with. doesn't really help our cause so much.on the other hand, one of my biggest pet peeves in the gun debate is when people bring up anecdotal evidence or even "I'm guessing more people do this than that" evidence to try to say that guns are evil and people that have them are stupid. you're so quick to point out the lack of evidence of incidence of guns actually saving lives but are more than willing to make baseless claims to the contrary to say that law abiding citizens are the reason for the majority of gun crimes (be it by carelessness or the simple abundance of guns). and sure, both sides can spout off statistics a mile long about gun deaths, crime rates, and homicide statistics, but please keep in mind how horribly statistics can be skewed. I did a pretty extensive project on the subject a number of years ago, and while I don't have the data anymore (hell, I don't think I even have the report anymore), I do remember one specific example from the anti-gun side that made me chuckle. the statistic stated something about the millions of "children" that were killed by gun "violence" each year. first of all, there's no standard definition to what "violence" is technically, and the study included any death by a gun, including suicide (which was the leading cause if I remember correctly). now would the person have still killed themselves if they didn't have access to the gun? who the hell knows, thats debatable and I won't really argue that point much more than that. but the real kicker? the "children" mentioned in the study? they were any person killed by a gun between the ages of 0 and 32. mark twain was absolutely correct.

ok, so calling people "stupid motherfuckers", while calming my nerves, probably didn't convey exactly what I wanted to say, so here's my opinion on a lot of this.first off, carrying a gun to a home game is more than mildly retarded because the absolute FIRST tenant of defending oneself is to avoid situations that you would need to use a gun. if you are at a home game that is so large and unstable that you think you would need a gun to protect yourself, you are already putting yourself into a situation that indicates you aren't making good decisions, so bringing a gun into the picture ain't gonna help. now obviously any situation can turn bad under the proper circumstances, I mean granny's nursing home could get taken hostage while you're there, but when you put yourself into a situation where you specifically feel violence could erupt at any minute, there are quite a few more things you need to look at before you figure out which type of cartridge you're going to be carrying that evening.on a similar note, almost all of my friends are very pro-gun (I can't think of anybody off hand who is anti-gun that I hang out with) and I'm pretty sure any of them would feel fairly uncomfortable sitting at the poker table with another one of us carrying a pistol. its just a bit odd is all. and like someone else said, it can be a very emotional game. we (as in gun advocates) certainly don't need another anger induced shooting spree to deal with. doesn't really help our cause so much.on the other hand, one of my biggest pet peeves in the gun debate is when people bring up anecdotal evidence or even "I'm guessing more people do this than that" evidence to try to say that guns are evil and people that have them are stupid. you're so quick to point out the lack of evidence of incidence of guns actually saving lives but are more than willing to make baseless claims to the contrary to say that law abiding citizens are the reason for the majority of gun crimes (be it by carelessness or the simple abundance of guns). and sure, both sides can spout off statistics a mile long about gun deaths, crime rates, and homicide statistics, but please keep in mind how horribly statistics can be skewed. I did a pretty extensive project on the subject a number of years ago, and while I don't have the data anymore (hell, I don't think I even have the report anymore), I do remember one specific example from the anti-gun side that made me chuckle. the statistic stated something about the millions of "children" that were killed by gun "violence" each year. first of all, there's no standard definition to what "violence" is technically, and the study included any death by a gun, including suicide (which was the leading cause if I remember correctly). now would the person have still killed themselves if they didn't have access to the gun? who the hell knows, thats debatable and I won't really argue that point much more than that. but the real kicker? the "children" mentioned in the study? they were any person killed by a gun between the ages of 0 and 32. mark twain was absolutely correct.
Then you must not advocate a person carrying in general. Because the same reason that someone would carry to the Gas Station is why they'd carry to a "safe" Home Game. People carry in general because they want to be prepared to defend themselves - with a weapon as a Last Resort. Yes - the first line of defense is situational awareness and avoidance of a conflict. But people who carry responsibly know they are doing it to be prepared to use their weapon as a last resort. To say as a blanket statement that you shouldn't need a gun because you shouldn't be playing where you don't feel safe is like gun control proponents saying that you shouldn't need a gun if you just avoid potential trouble situations. I am certain most times anyone who has been robbed at a Home Game or otherwise wished they'd had a gun for last resort protection didn't enter thinking: "I shouldn't be here - it doesn't feel safe"
Then you must not advocate a person carrying in general. Because the same reason that someone would carry to the Gas Station is why they'd carry to a "safe" Home Game. People carry in general because they want to be prepared to defend themselves - with a weapon as a Last Resort. Yes - the first line of defense is situational awareness and avoidance of a conflict. But people who carry responsibly know they are doing it to be prepared to use their weapon as a last resort. To say as a blanket statement that you shouldn't need a gun because you shouldn't be playing where you don't feel safe is like gun control proponents saying that you shouldn't need a gun if you just avoid potential trouble situations. I am certain most times anyone who has been robbed at a Home Game or otherwise wished they'd had a gun for last resort protection didn't enter thinking: "I shouldn't be here - it doesn't feel safe"
as a person who thinks that people can and should be able to own guns, the fact that you feel this is such a holy idea it deserves capitalization scares me. then again you did capitalize home game so who knows.....
sure. and you can go to a range and borrow a gun and shoot til your heart is content. you dont have to own 50 guns to enjoy guns. and I still think my proposal for a compromise is fair. you dont need automatic weapons to hit targets, hunt deer, etc.also while I like fun that is not a strong argument. there are lots of "fun" things we are not allowed to do like get into a high speed chase with police or throw bricks through windows or whatever.
I would not consider getting into a high speed chase with police or throwing bricks through windows fun at all. Different people find different activities fun. Some people like shooting guns, some like playing sports, others like to read. What is fun for one isn't always fun for everyone. Because you don't find shooting guns fun doesn't mean it is wrong for others to enjoy that activity.
as a person who thinks that people can and should be able to own guns, the fact that you feel this is such a holy idea it deserves capitalization scares me. then again you did capitalize home game so who knows.....
I am pretty Random about my Capitalization rules....that's just how I roll.
You don't carry a gun into a poker game. If you feel you need a gun for a poker game, you shouldn't be there. You carry a gun in dark parking lots, down at the docks, whatever.

very interesting topic I myself wouldn't feel comfortable at a game where any weapon is there period. I don't own a gun, I don't want a gun nor do I think I need a gun. When I was younger I thought yeah I should get a gun to protect myself ( i am 30 right now younger meaning after highschool). But my biggest fear was I would use it and that scared the crap out of me. I have been out at a club before and noticed a guy carrying a gun and needless to say I left that club shortly there after. It's just not something I am comfortable being around in public places. I will say I have gone to a gun range once with my grandpa and really enjoyed and would actually like to do it again. But would rather not see guns out in public that is just my personal views.

Since we're talking about guns - Texas has an interesting law on its books. You can not only protect your own house but your neighbor's house as well. I think this guy crossed the line as I'm surprised this guy wasn't charged with something because the two burglars were shot in the back according to the Police Captain.Man cleared for killing neighbor's burglars

lemme ask this of the people who say they wouldn't feel comfortable at a poker game where somebody is strapped - do you feel as if you have a right of some sorts to know if somebody at the table has a gun on them? just asking cuz potoddsrac felt that you don't but i think it would be rude (for lack of a better word) for you not to be informed.

If you want to be prepared to defend yourself... How about this?Don't be such a fucking pussy and use your hands like most everyone else. Carrying a gun 24/7 just incase you need to defend yourself it the most asinine thing I've heard in a long long time. How ****ing paranoid can you be? How many times have you gotten into a gunfight and been like, god dammit, If only I had my gun with me? Really, how many?

Since we're talking about guns - Texas has an interesting law on its books. You can not only protect your own house but your neighbor's house as well. I think this guy crossed the line as I'm surprised this guy wasn't charged with something because the two burglars were shot in the back according to the Police Captain.Man cleared for killing neighbor's burglars
It was completely ridiculous, that was straight up murder. I heard it on the news the other day. They played the 911 tape where the operator was telling him to stay in his house, and he's like... screw this, i'm gonna go out there, i'm not letting them do this. WTF? So you say, I have a gun, I'm gonna go stop them... someone says... don't do that, stay in your house, you say no, i'm gonna go kill them.... and that's somehow self defense? He was in no danger at all. Fucking ludicrous!
If you want to be prepared to defend yourself... How about this?Don't be such a fucking pussy and use your hands like most everyone else. Carrying a gun 24/7 just incase you need to defend yourself it the most asinine thing I've heard in a long long time. How ****ing paranoid can you be? How many times have you gotten into a gunfight and been like, god dammit, If only I had my gun with me? Really, how many?
i agree that its paranoid and insane. the reason i think people should be allowed to own guns has nothing to do with this. unfortunately, with the right to own them comes the ability to walk around with them and use them. besides the fact that you are very unlikely to ever get into such a situation, i can't imagine that you aren't more likely to get shot in a situation where somebody pulls a gun on you by pulling one out yourself.