Home Game Gun Etiquette And Other Decisions

i agree that its paranoid and insane. the reason i think people should be allowed to own guns has nothing to do with this. unfortunately, with the right to own them comes the ability to walk around with them and use them. besides the fact that you are very unlikely to ever get into such a situation, i can't imagine that you aren't more likely to get shot in a situation where somebody pulls a gun on you by pulling one out yourself.
Exactly.
  • Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to be prepared to defend yourself... How about this?Don't be such a fucking pussy and use your hands like most everyone else. Carrying a gun 24/7 just incase you need to defend yourself it the most asinine thing I've heard in a long long time. How ****ing paranoid can you be? How many times have you gotten into a gunfight and been like, god dammit, If only I had my gun with me? Really, how many?
I feel I have to point this out...If you don't have a gun, it's not a gun fight, its called getting shot at.
I feel I have to point this out...If you don't have a gun, it's not a gun fight, its called getting shot at.
Well, implying there was more than one person with a gun. I suppose it can be either though.
I would not consider getting into a high speed chase with police or throwing bricks through windows fun at all. Different people find different activities fun. Some people like shooting guns, some like playing sports, others like to read. What is fun for one isn't always fun for everyone. Because you don't find shooting guns fun doesn't mean it is wrong for others to enjoy that activity.
you assume too much. I actually enjoy shooting guns at a local range. I started going once or twice a year when I was 22.you really missed my point I think. and how the hell would a high speed chase not be fun?
if you just give them your money its called not that big of a deal compared to dying. i wish there was a way to figure out - lets say somebody pulls a gun out and demands that you give them all your moneywhat are your chances of being shot if you a) give it to themb) pull out a guni really don't think there is a way to answer it without it being pure speculation but i wish there was.

Pot Odds RAC can bring a gun to my home game.Sometimes a gun can make the situation worse, to be sure. But it's also a deterrent.Soldiers and police carry guns with my implicit approval. I certainly don't trust my friends less.

I have not and likely will not play in a homegame where I might feel it necessary to carry a gun with me. However, assuming other people just should not be in that situation is only useful for setting up strawman arguments.So, for the purposes of disucssion, we'll assume we are going to this type of game. What reasoning would we have for wanting to carry a gun? First for me would be protection from robbers. As others have said, actually using the gun would be the last option. Hopefully just having it would be a sufficient deterrent. For this situation I'd likely also feel better if I wasn't the only one at the game who was armed. Second would be protection from others at the game, ie the big guy from the other thread who was ready to flip his shit over the big pot. I would be even more hesitant to actually use the gun here. I'm going to be as diplomatic as possible first, and hopefully the gun will serve as an effective deterrent to the guy who's heading towards something physical.After reading the responses, and thinking about it for a little bit, it seems very reasonable check with the host first. "I have a concealed weapon permit (if this is required where you live) and generally carry a pistol. Is this going to be a problem?" You can reevaluate if host says it's a problem. If I'm actually going to the game, armed or not, I'm going to recommend the host hire some security, rather than depend on the players to protect themselves. I wouldn't feel compelled to inform the other players at the game, as it really serves no purpose during an uneventful game. But if the host is going to let me carry, I would ask if there may be other players doing the same. I wouldn't need them to be identified, but it's useful information to have. If a situation arises where you do need to make it know you are carrying, you're going to have a better idea what kind of responses you'll get.As an interesting side note, I recently read and article about an "open carry" movement. Some places don't have rules against carrying an exposed weapon, like how cops have their pistols holstered on their hip. I think the guy the article focused on lives in Utah. But the hip holster on a civilian looks pretty gay. I'd go for one of the suspender style holsters, like detectives on tv shows wear.

I have not and likely will not play in a homegame where I might feel it necessary to carry a gun with me. However, assuming other people just should not be in that situation is only useful for setting up strawman arguments.So, for the purposes of disucssion, we'll assume we are going to this type of game. What reasoning would we have for wanting to carry a gun? First for me would be protection from robbers. As others have said, actually using the gun would be the last option. Hopefully just having it would be a sufficient deterrent. For this situation I'd likely also feel better if I wasn't the only one at the game who was armed. Second would be protection from others at the game, ie the big guy from the other thread who was ready to flip his shit over the big pot. I would be even more hesitant to actually use the gun here. I'm going to be as diplomatic as possible first, and hopefully the gun will serve as an effective deterrent to the guy who's heading towards something physical.After reading the responses, and thinking about it for a little bit, it seems very reasonable check with the host first. "I have a concealed weapon permit (if this is required where you live) and generally carry a pistol. Is this going to be a problem?" You can reevaluate if host says it's a problem. If I'm actually going to the game, armed or not, I'm going to recommend the host hire some security, rather than depend on the players to protect themselves. I wouldn't feel compelled to inform the other players at the game, as it really serves no purpose during an uneventful game. But if the host is going to let me carry, I would ask if there may be other players doing the same. I wouldn't need them to be identified, but it's useful information to have. If a situation arises where you do need to make it know you are carrying, you're going to have a better idea what kind of responses you'll get.As an interesting side note, I recently read and article about an "open carry" movement. Some places don't have rules against carrying an exposed weapon, like how cops have their pistols holstered on their hip. I think the guy the article focused on lives in Utah. But the hip holster on a civilian looks pretty gay. I'd go for one of the suspender style holsters, like detectives on tv shows wear.
Excellent reply. Agree with pretty much all of it.

If you want a first-hand perspective on the dangers of guns and poker games, ask David Nicoson...

Some people need killing...And if they're at the home game and you didn't bring your gun, you have to drive all the way home. Gas prices are high.Better to be ready just in case.

Who said they are anti-gun?It's just stupid to bring one to a poker game. It's also stupid to carry one around 24/7... for what purpose? Just because you can doesn't mean it makes any sense.
I've been carrying one to the FCP Chicago home games FWIW. :club::ts I've been waiting to use it. :D
Very reasonable post.

Also it should be noted that there is a thing in this country called 'being a man'. Part of being a man is stopping scumbags who do bad things.So if some loser wants to rob me, it is my duty to my neighbor to make sure he doesn't do it again.So I will not let him have my money or my car etc.Because next time it might be my daughter, or a single mom with 2 kids who doesn't need some loser stealing her life savings because no real men stepped up and stopped him when they had a chance.As the great Kenny Rogers said: "Sometimes you gotta fight, when you're a man"

Also it should be noted that there is a thing in this country called 'being a man'. Part of being a man is stopping scumbags who do bad things.So if some loser wants to rob me, it is my duty to my neighbor to make sure he doesn't do it again.So I will not let him have my money or my car etc.Because next time it might be my daughter, or a single mom with 2 kids who doesn't need some loser stealing her life savings because no real men stepped up and stopped him when they had a chance.As the great Kenny Rogers said: "Sometimes you gotta fight, when you're a man"
i agree with this post alot and the end quote is so true .
i agree with this post alot and the end quote is so true .
That's because you're from Winnipeg -- the Chicago of the north.
That's because you're from Winnipeg -- the Chicago of the north.
I don't know if my city background has anything to do with it, but I agree with it as well. If you wanna be the pansy and bust out a weapon of some sort, more power to ya, it makes you the jackass, not me. If I'm gonna get jumped by guys with guns and they happen to kill me, that's the way it goes. I could get killed by a drunk driver or a bolt of lightning tonight too...I'll take my chances. I'm not living my life paranoid like that.When a man is down, the fight is over. When the fight is over, you buy eah other a beer.
When a man is down, the fight is over. When the fight is over, you buy eah other a beer.
Some people didn't get that memo.
I don't know if my city background has anything to do with it, but I agree with it as well. If you wanna be the pansy and bust out a weapon of some sort, more power to ya, it makes you the jackass, not me. If I'm gonna get jumped by guys with guns and they happen to kill me, that's the way it goes. I could get killed by a drunk driver or a bolt of lightning tonight too...I'll take my chances. I'm not living my life paranoid like that.When a man is down, the fight is over. When the fight is over, you buy eah other a beer.
Sucks getting jumped. j/s

To Dave Nicoson:I read about your "incident." I am glad you made it through alive. I have a couple of questions for you:What do you think would have happened if one or more of the players had a gun? I ask this in all seriousness. You having experienced what the point of this thread is. Would more guns have made the situation better or worse?Thanks for any reply.

To Dave Nicoson:I read about your "incident." I am glad you made it through alive. I have a couple of questions for you:What do you think would have happened if one or more of the players had a gun? I ask this in all seriousness. You having experienced what the point of this thread is. Would more guns have made the situation better or worse?Thanks for any reply.
I don't think any of us would have ended up drawing a weapon if we had one. I'm sure I wouldn't have had enough time to react since my back was to the door they came through. If the door was locked, it would have been a whole different ballgame.The device we really could have used is a phone in the bedroom.
I don't think any of us would have ended up drawing a weapon if we had one. I'm sure I wouldn't have had enough time to react since my back was to the door they came through. If the door was locked, it would have been a whole different ballgame.The device we really could have used is a phone in the bedroom.
I actually didn't know about this until today... pretty messed up, but glad you made it out alive. I do commend you for trying your best to not take that shit though. I mean in hindsight it might have worked better the other way, but I think in that situation I might flip out and literally rip someones throat out if I had to... so I see why you reacted that way. Glad you're alright.
I think you all know where I stand on this issue from my earlier posts in this thread, and this right here (chgocubs99's post) sums up pretty much how I feel about guns...... The day I will need a gun to go walk my dog or to go to the grocerie store is the day I'll be moving from wherever I live, cause to me, that is not freedom......