• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me start by saying that I think I understand where you are coming from. Someone was a hurtful person who seemed to do a lot of negative things, generating lots of anger, then that person dies and all of the sudden is the beneficiary of positive words and feelings. It seems wrong. I do not intend to invalidate this feeling, in fact I share it with you to some extent. I'm just gonna ask you to make an effort to see another point of view. With regards to mental illness, it seems to me that the suicide is evidence enough. However, even before the suicide it would not have taken a Ph.D. in psychology to determine that Brandi was mentally ill (although I do happen to have one of those if that has any bearing on this discussion). She had a pattern of suicide attempts and threats, impulsive, manipulative behavior in her relationships, self-image issues (note the sudden change of her name to Naami Dea), etc. etc. This characterization is not intended to shift blame. You are right that most of us have a conscience. But the issue is much more complex than you are making it to be. For example, the majority of people with BPD were the victims of childhood sexual abuse. This is not a situation that is easily dealt with by simply "going to a doctor and straighten your life out". It's a constant struggle, and some people fair better than others when faced with those circumstances. We really know very little about Brandi's life to be in the position of condemning her. She most certainly led a painful life. I think it is important that we keep this thread open, and naive of us to think that the only acceptable response is some kind of condolence or "RIP" given the background here. This wasn't an accident, it was a suicide; it's going to bring up some complicated reactions. Let's just use the opportunity to discuss the issue rather than being rude to each other.
Good post.The main thing is that whether you feel bad that this happened or not, this shouldn't really be the place to badmouth someone. Hub, I'm sure there's a ton of people who agree with you, at least to some extent, but they just decided to let it be at this point. I think that's what most of the people are trying to say. At this point everyone has argued themselves in circles, and it's pretty pointless right now.Sad that she died, especially in that manner, and especially for her family..... Whether you liked her or really care that she is gone is another story altogether though.
You don't go to a funeral and air out the dead persons dirty laundry.Same thing for an RIP thread. A RIP thread should be for people to express their condolences. If you don't wish to participate, you shouldn't post in the the thread.
One could also make the argument that if you don't wish to hear uncensored opinions on a certain topic you probably shouldn't be discussing it on an internet forum. The internet is a vehicle for free speech and if a person's opinion is offensive to you then you should simply choose to ignore it.
One could also make the argument that if you don't wish to hear uncensored opinions on a certain topic you probably shouldn't be discussing it on an internet forum. The internet is a vehicle for free speech and if a person's opinion is offensive to you then you should simply choose to ignore it.
Unless you're on 2+2, then they just ban you.
Unless you're on 2+2, then they just ban you.
HAHA true and true.
Meh, so much for my attempt at sarcasm. In no way did I think you were attacking me whatsoever, in fact I lol'd at the fact that you thought I did. It takes waaaaaaaay more than that to make me feel attacked or threatened. I probably wouldn't post on here if I was that easily offended lol.What was going through my mind however was the thought of one of my favorite players dying this past year. Granted he didn't commit suicide, but it was sad nonetheless. That's the only reason I brought up the players thing.Anyway, sorry about the misunderstanding man...and uhhhhh, can we all just put this behind us and move on? Just sayin.
It's all good. Carry on.:carryingonface
talking shit about mentally ill people that have passed on makes you an asshole.please, unless you like the idea of people calling you an asshole after you pass on or enjoy hypocrisy, keep negative thoughts to yourselves on the off chance that someone close to her might actually read this thread.
I like boats, but I don't ever want to be reffered to as a boating enthusiast. When I die, I hope they just remember me as guy who liked boats.

You motorboatin' SOB. You old sailor you!

At this point everyone has argued themselves in circles, and it's pretty pointless right now.
Tru Dat
Sad that she died, especially in that manner, and especially for her family..... Whether you liked her or really care that she is gone is another story altogether though.
06070701hd6.jpg

I always saw Brandi as a personification of the degeneracy of the poker world, where many people feel that money trumps morality and the way greed can make a normally decent person do indecent things.Brandi was a victim of being an attractive young woman in a world that eats them up and spits them out. Not one of us would want our sister, daughter or wife involved in that world.But the true character of a person is shown by their reaction to her death.At least the people that had dealings with her. Not so much people on this board who never met her.

I always saw Brandi as a personification of the degeneracy of the poker world, where many people feel that money trumps morality and the way greed can make a normally decent person do indecent things.Brandi was a victim of being an attractive young woman in a world that eats them up and spits them out. Not one of us would want our sister, daughter or wife involved in that world.But the true character of a person is shown by their reaction to her death.At least the people that had dealings with her. Not so much people on this board who never met her.
Look at this guy, waxing philosophical.