• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

The character Gretchen Mol played in Rounders was supposed(<--all caps?) to be the rake. She's a pretty darn good actress. That's pretty as in the adverb not the adjective even though both could be applied in this instance.

halfway through somewhere. blurb had it as a comedy/drama. bahstids better start being funny. the long, meditative shots don't work so much when the characters have no character, thus making the drama merely directorial navel-gazing. guess i should watch the rest. pretty sure i'll be disappointed.well, if i'm expecting disappointment then i won't be disappointed, right? i'll have to be like, 'fuck yeah, disappointment!'
I think Somewhere is a great, quiet Hollywood movie. I don't know how enjoyable it would be if you haven't been to those types of parties, seen the constant churn of the Never Gonna Make It economy, etc.But, yeah, Sofia's really interested in the static shot, watching an image for so long, that it kind of becomes something else.

I did like the beginning shot of the movie, of the protagonist going in circles. And that's pretty much the movie, right?

p.s. I only said The Human Centipede so I could seamlessly segue into talking about The Human Centipede 2. Here's the plot summary:

Martin is a mentally disturbed loner who lives with his mother in a bleak housing project. He works the night shift as a security guard in an equally grim and foreboding underground parking complex. To escape his dreary existence, Martin loses himself in the fantasy world of the cult horror film
The Human Centipede (First Sequence)
, fetishizing the meticulous surgical skills of the gifted Dr. Heiter, whose knowledge of the human gastrointestinal system inspires Martin to attempt the unthinkable.

Everything about The Human Centipede and its sequel makes me laugh, but I will never ever watch it.

I've only heard bad, bad things about HC2, and these are people (like me) who liked the first segment.
I'm guessing you haven't seen Betty Page or the HBO series Boardwalk Empire.
I saw Betty Page. I thought it was alright, but it relied on Mol being a pretty pretty object. Yes, she's beautiful on screen, and the performance was passable to good, but there weren't fireworks for me. I haven't seen any Boardwalk Emprire, though.
I think Somewhere is a great, quiet Hollywood movie. I don't know how enjoyable it would be if you haven't been to those types of parties, seen the constant churn of the Never Gonna Make It economy, etc.But, yeah, Sofia's really interested in the static shot, watching an image for so long, that it kind of becomes something else.

I did like the beginning shot of the movie, of the protagonist going in circles. And that's pretty much the movie, right?

yeah, that's pretty much the movie. but if we're going to meditate on a character i need something compelling about them, even just an interesting face. he... was not interesting."but that's the point, q!"bleah.
insidious.spirits haunting the living. i liked it well enough. they seriously needed to seriously tone done the music over the title. seriously. bonus marks for getting to see barbara hershey in a movie, albeit a small role.74/100.
  • 2 weeks later...

In Time.I thought it was a cool concept. The movie obviously has tons of problems, but it was still decent. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

UnknownLiam Neeson plays a guy who gets in a car accident. When he gets out of his coma, he finds his wife who says she doesn't know him, and there's another guy who claims to be her husband.It was pretty good.Finally going to watch Black Swan today.

In the last week I have seenPuss In Boots: Pretty good. Better than Shrek. Lots of not so subtle adult humor.Footloose: I thought it was going to be crap, and it sorta was, but they had fun with it, kept to the original pretty well and didn't make it like step it up to the streets while drinking your juice in the hood.Rum Diary: Fell asleep at the end, but it was pretty terrible. I really don't know what the plot was except newspaper and cuba and drinking.

Crazy Stupid LoveReally liked it. Ridiculous cast, and they all did a very good job with the material. Not an all-time movie by any stretch, but it certainly beats the hell out of most romcom-ish movies.

The "twist" at the end was great. These days it's hard to be truly surprised, but my jaw dropped a little. First of all, it's rare to not know beforehand that there's going to be a twist, but I guess because it wasn't key to the plot it wasn't mentioned in many reviews, which is nice. Also, it was a good "shit, I should've seen that coming" twist as opposed to a "what the hell is that" twist.

Rum Diary: I really don't know what the plot was except newspaper and cuba and drinking.
Sounds about right for Hunter.
Rum Diary: Fell asleep at the end, but it was pretty terrible. I really don't know what the plot was except newspaper and cuba and drinking.
did you like fear and loathing?
did you like fear and loathing?
I can't really remember, but I am thinking I did not.
Looking into some older Robin Williams movies and I saw two on Netflix that looked interesting.Moscow on the Hudson and Awakenings. Are either worth watching?
Awakenings is a great movie. And if you are looking for strictly Robin Williams, you have to go with Good Morning Vietnam.
Looking into some older Robin Williams movies and I saw two on Netflix that looked interesting.Moscow on the Hudson and Awakenings. Are either worth watching?
Awakenings is really good, but it's not a comedy. Think Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting, except even more drama filled. It's also a slower movie than Hunting. That being said... it's fantastic.

The Rum Diary's is very much worth seeing if you like Hunter Thompson. I do...so I did. The movie had tons of Hunters writing and phrases lifted directly from his work that was recognizable. I really liked the Nixon rant along with the foreshadowing. I only remember one line from the movie that's truly poetic, "your tongue is like an accusatory giblet". The scene was silly but that's quite a line right there. The person I went with laughed during the entire movie. Uncontrollable laughing during scenes that weren't funny to me in the least. It was a bit distracting because at first I thought I was missing something but it turns out, she just likes to and was in the mood to laugh.Also, the movie Captain America was fun!

Tower HeistWife and I had movie passes that we had bought from our air miles that were going to expire this week, so we took advantage when my parents were up to look after the kid and got out. I think we've had them for a year, so it shows you how much we needed a night out.It was a fun movie, not the funniest, a billion plot holes but it didn't matter. It doesn't take itself serious enough for that to matter. Eddie Murphy was great even though his role was small I think that worked better for him. Sometimes his movies have too much of him.7/10

Crazy Stupid LoveIt was good and enjoyable. I liked the relationship of Gosling and Carel the best of all the different pairings. Also Goaling and Stone are great at giving the impression that child actors can be functioning adults.

I did not see the twist coming, and that was nice. At the end, what do you think is going to happen with Carel and Moore's characters? Stay broken up and amicable, or getting back together?

Harry Potter 7.2It's the second time I've seen it, the first was in the theater. I still really liked the movie, and thought the home video conversion went very well. With all the destruction of the world, and all the pops of the color blue, it reminded me of Dark Knight. I was surprised to realize at this late date the ghost of the Grey Lady is played by the actress from Trainspotting.

Crazy Stupid LoveIt was good and enjoyable. I liked the relationship of Gosling and Carel the best of all the different pairings. Also Goaling and Stone are great at giving the impression that child actors can be functioning adults.

I did not see the twist coming, and that was nice. At the end, what do you think is going to happen with Carel and Moore's characters? Stay broken up and amicable, or getting back together?

Harry Potter 7.2It's the second time I've seen it, the first was in the theater. I still really liked the movie, and thought the home video conversion went very well. With all the destruction of the world, and all the pops of the color blue, it reminded me of Dark Knight. I was surprised to realize at this late date the ghost of the Grey Lady is played by the actress from Trainspotting.

Did you also have a "fuck, the red hair, I totally should have seen that coming" moment?

finally saw paranormal activity 3i'll start by saying if you want to go see the movie that you saw in the trailers then you will not be seeing the same movie. I dont believe there is one single scene from the previews that actually made it into the movie, very very strange.second, yes it is pretty much the same exact movie as the first 2 except some storylines are filled and new ones are created.third, this was by far the best of the 3 movies from a suspense standpoint. the producers and director have absolutely mastered the ability to create and build suspense through cameras, corners, panning, etc. I believe I spent half the movie cringing cause I kept waiting for what was going to be around the corner or what was going to come into the cameras frame.a lot of the same ole same ole scares and some scenes seemed to be rehashed in nearly the same exact fashion as the first 2 movies, but it still works and still scared the living piss out of me on multiple occasions.I don't think I liked the storyline that much, but these movies are never about that for me.Looking forward to PA4!