This movie was fantastic. I just got back from seeing it, but it could possibly be the Coen Brothers' best film. Yes, I know, that's a big statement, but it was really, really great. Basically no other directors could have pulled off this movie.It's just so entertaining, thrilling, and scary from start to finish. Thematically, it's incredibly rich. The direction is amazing (as one would expect). The acting is darn near perfect. I expect to see a best supporting actor win come out of this movie. It's quite violent, for the record. But if you're able to handle that sort of thing, go out and see this movie. SERIOUSLY! Do it now!(Will probably be my favorite movie of the year until I see THERE WILL BE BLOOD)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have trouble mustering up the motivation to see movies like this in theatres. Its not because I don't enjoy them thoroughly, but because I actually enjoy watching them more in the privacy of my own home as opposed to sitting next to a 300lb guy who chews with his mouth open.

I have trouble mustering up the motivation to see movies like this in theatres. Its not because I don't enjoy them thoroughly, but because I actually enjoy watching them more in the privacy of my own home as opposed to sitting next to a 300lb guy who chews with his mouth open.
the High-Def super sick TV has completely revamped how/when I see movies.basically I only go see something in theatres anymore if I just HAVE to see it right away or I think it is the kind of movie that will benefit from being around other people (like a Rocky movie or something).it also doesnt help that my wife has a poor attention span and really cant enjoy any movie that isnt a 90 minute comedy/animation.
the High-Def super sick TV has completely revamped how/when I see movies.basically I only go see something in theatres anymore if I just HAVE to see it right away or I think it is the kind of movie that will benefit from being around other people (like a Rocky movie or something).it also doesnt help that my wife has a poor attention span and really cant enjoy any movie that isnt a 90 minute comedy/animation.
I mostly can't stand when anyone around me is making any kind of noise at all when I'm trying to watch a scene with a lot of dialogue. I suppose this is why the majority of the movies I see in the theatre are action movies.
Well we don't like you either.And as I've made appreant in other threads the Coens are the best in the business. As soon as this movie comes to our town, I will be there. Multiple times I'm sure.I dare you to name a better writer in the business. (hint: Charlie Kaufmann is not better)
This movie was fantastic. I just got back from seeing it, but it could possibly be the Coen Brothers' best film. Yes, I know, that's a big statement, but it was really, really great. Basically no other directors could have pulled off this movie.It's just so entertaining, thrilling, and scary from start to finish. Thematically, it's incredibly rich. The direction is amazing (as one would expect). The acting is darn near perfect. I expect to see a best supporting actor win come out of this movie. It's quite violent, for the record. But if you're able to handle that sort of thing, go out and see this movie. SERIOUSLY! Do it now!(Will probably be my favorite movie of the year until I see THERE WILL BE BLOOD)
Seeing NCFOM Friday. CANNOT wait for There Will Be Blood.
  • 2 weeks later...
Saw the trailer before Lars and the Real Girl, which was excellent by the way, and it looks awesome. Whoever they cast as the bad guy is one scary looking dude. And Woody Harrelson is in it, so it has to be good.
Javier Bardem, unless I'm mistaken...Still haven't seen it, but it's at the top of my list. Maybe this weekend.Thanks for not posting spoilers, people!
Well we don't like you either.And as I've made appreant in other threads the Coens are the best in the business. As soon as this movie comes to our town, I will be there. Multiple times I'm sure.I dare you to name a better writer in the business. (hint: Charlie Kaufmann is not better)
Wrong, but so close to not being wrong, I'll let it slide.THis movie has restored my faith in the Coen brothers. This, to me, was their test movie, the movie that had to hit for me to see all their future movies, no questions asked ( a position they pretty much share only with movies with scripts written by Kauffman). And this movie was so unbelievably good. I need to see it a few more times to properly digest it. THe best part was I saw this in Nebraska, and at the end, the theatre groaned. Not cheered, not applauded , but groaned. That made me smile.

Didn't like it.Think that anyone else besides Cohen Brothers writes this script, noone would like it.I guess I am in the minority, but the purpose of movies is not to make you want to know what the heck happened.Andy Kaufman would have liked this film.

Didn't like it.Think that anyone else besides Cohen Brothers writes this script, noone would like it.I guess I am in the minority, but the purpose of movies is not to make you want to know what the heck happened.Andy Kaufman would have liked this film.
I don't agree with this. If it wasn't the Coen bros making it, it wouldn't have been made period. It takes someone with some clout to get a movie like this made by a major stuidio. I think it's a fantastic movie, and I was engaged and entertained the whole way through. Not every movie needs to be wrapped up in a neat bow.It's the classic argument about the role of Cinema, is it there to give you something to think about or is it there to give you an escape from thinking all together. I've always preferred movies that engage the audience. And Kauffman was a genius.
I don't agree with this. If it wasn't the Coen bros making it, it wouldn't have been made period. It takes someone with some clout to get a movie like this made by a major stuidio. I think it's a fantastic movie, and I was engaged and entertained the whole way through. Not every movie needs to be wrapped up in a neat bow.It's the classic argument about the role of Cinema, is it there to give you something to think about or is it there to give you an escape from thinking all together. I've always preferred movies that engage the audience.
Obviously both have their place, and I've probably made it clear that I really like trippie shit, but I'm not so sure it's a bad thing that every ******* can't get the shitty avant-grade screenplay he wrote while in English grad school made. Because not only is there very little more horrible than a whiffed attempted at an ironic or intellectual movie, but once the racks were full of that kind of that aesthetic, if would take the bite out of even the competent examples.

I recognize I am of the more shallow viewership of movies, I am a consumer that expects to be entertained.If I want to be preached too, I go to church. or is it to?If I want to learn, I read a book.If I want to relax I watch TV.If I want to be inspired, I see a playAnd if I want to be entertained without having to think, I go to a movie.Film makers that try to make the case that the character is the movie and normal story telling guidelines be damned..well they will be forever regulated to being misunderstood. It's the wrong medium.Kaufman was a funny 20 minute joke that got carried out for 10 years. He wore on me. Although Taxi was a great TV show, Kaufman was not missed. But funny is subjective, just as everything is. My being right is only a small part of the picture.

I recognize I am of the more shallow viewership of movies, I am a consumer that expects to be entertained.If I want to be preached too, I go to church. or is it to?If I want to learn, I read a book.If I want to relax I watch TV.If I want to be inspired, I see a playAnd if I want to be entertained without having to think, I go to a movie.Film makers that try to make the case that the character is the movie and normal story telling guidelines be damned..well they will be forever regulated to being misunderstood. It's the wrong medium.Kaufman was a funny 20 minute joke that got carried out for 10 years. He wore on me. Although Taxi was a great TV show, Kaufman was not missed. But funny is subjective, just as everything is. My being right is only a small part of the picture.
all of this is fair... like I said, it's a classic debate.. and fortunately for you, there are many, many more mindless entertainment movies than movies like No Country. The Customer is always right.
Obviously both have their place, and I've probably made it clear that I really like trippie shit, but I'm not so sure it's a bad thing that every ******* can't get the shitty avant-grade screenplay he wrote while in English grad school made. Because not only is there very little more horrible than a whiffed attempted at an ironic or intellectual movie, but once the racks were full of that kind of that aesthetic, if would take the bite out of even the competent examples.
It's true. The way things are now, it's very Darwinistic, so if you want to get your trippy, avant garde movie made, you basically have to be Charlie Kauffman good.
It's true. The way things are now, it's very Darwinistic, so if you want to get your trippy, avant garde movie made, you basically have to be Charlie Kauffman good.
I was going to reply by saying that's probably a good thing, but then I realized that you were replying to a post that was basically what I was going to reply to......I just lost myself. Let's try this again:To Dutch's quote that you quoted: QFT.Was this the worst post ever? Yes. Yes it was.p.s. I would very much like to see this movie.