Semi-pro Poker Player On The Job Market

This is an issue that I have been struggling with as I prepare to enter the job market. If I was an employer, I would definitely consider it a relevant fact, but not all employers view poker players so favorably.My situation: - Through playing poker 10 - 15 hours a week online and occasionally live, I have built a roll close to 6k from 600 in the past 10 months.- I will be graduating from school in March with a double major in Finance and Accounting.- I will likely be interviewing with my current company for which I've been working for 30+ hours / week during school, as well as other investment type companies.Given the field of risk management, do you think it is worth listing on a resume? If not, is it something you would mention in an interview?Risks include : Eliminating yourself from job contention due to views an employer has on gamblingBenefits include: Showing analytical skills, intelligence required to win at a very difficult game, and possibly gaining a leg up on competition if employer views gamblers favorably (former or current poker player themselves).Maybe a "read" is required on the interviewer to determine whether to mention it?What have other people done?Thanks! Good luck at the tables.

I'm not sure about this one... Going into finance and accounting, you'd think the employer would see this as a skill since it is good money management and also means you're probably good with numbers/calculations on the spot. So many people play poker today (whether serious or recreational) so there's probably a decent chance that he/she has played or likes poker. With all that being said, I'm still not sure I would mention it as a skill on your resume, although I may mention it in person during an interview.

Given that you were attending school at the same time you're fine just listing school as what you were doing with your time, e.g. concentrating on getting your degree. If you want, list poker as a hobby/interest at the bottom of the resume. If the interviewer is a poker player also he might ask you about it, or if he asks you a question about your analytical/logic skills you can talk about your education and tell him how you also play poker as a hobby and how you think that has helped you further develop analytical skills.

I interview and recruit for my current company, don't mention it on your resume. However I'd mention it as a hobby and skill during the interview.
I agree with this. Poker does not belong on a resume because it is not a skill set for the job you are applying for. It may be permissible to bring it up in the interview, but you can spin it. Refer to poker as "strategic investment" as Phil Gordon puts it. Maybe that will show it in a positive light that your interviewer may see as a talent.

Err on the side of caution and do not mention it. Not everybody views poker as a game of skill and most think of it as gambling. However, after you get hired, try to run a game in the board room with all the higher ups!

Err on the side of caution and do not mention it. Not everybody views poker as a game of skill and most think of it as gambling. However, after you get hired, try to run a game in the board room with all the higher ups!
Tell your avatar to hike the skirt, please.

in general i wouldn't mention it, but given your exact field, and the fact that you have a positive work experience at that company (i.e. they won't think you're a degenerate or anything), it seems beneficial and relevant. i'd strongly consider mentioning it on the resume - probably not under work experience, but maybe if you list skills, hobbies, interests or anything like that. i'd definitely think of some solid points about why it would be beneficial to your field, and try to bring it up in interviews.

Absolutely do not mention poker in written form at all. You have to realize that you do not know how many people will be seeing your resume or cover letter at any given employment attempt. The person who interviews you will not be the only one. It's likely that it will be a group decision. Chances are the more people who see poker on your materials, the more likely you are going to find someone who doesn't trust you because of it. It is very unlikely that poker is going to be a factor in tipping the scales in your favor. However, there is a high chance it could be a factor in you not getting the job. Merely mentioning poker or other gambling enterprise in the field of finance or money management is going to be a red flag. Everyone has heard stories of an addict raiding the funds of their clients to pay off debts. You don't hear a lot of stories about poker/gambling benefiting clients. If they ask you what your hobbies or interests are you might verbally mention it. Even then, unless you have nothing else to offer as an answer for that, I would be wary of bringing it up. You may think the poker boom legitimized the game. It didn't. It just made it a little more socially acceptable. Think about how many people still have no clue about poker -- the intricacies, the mathematics, how much luck does or does not play in it -- the uneducated far outnumber those in the know.I think it is a risk that is -ev.

I've got to agree with don't mention it all. Very small upside, very large downside. -EV all the way.
Seriously.Upside: shows you might have a handle on risk management, but you probably have a bunch of other ways to show that.Downside: "He's a gambler, he's going to siphon off our money to pay off his debts to the mob. Probably a drunk too." - runs through their mind.

Yeah, I have to agree with most of the resonses here. I wouldn't put it on the resume. If they ask about hobbies you should mention it and see how the interviewer responds. If the interviewer is also a poker player it will be a nice piece of common ground, but if the interviewer isn't a poker player then you can just drop it.I graduated 2 years ago with a double major in finance and economics, so I am familiar with your situation. Good luck.

I would never put that on your resume.. too controversial...I did mention it in an interview I had yesterday when they asked about my hobbies/etc.. he said, "that is good, we like card players, we hold a holdem tournament once a month here"... sweet!

Yeah, I have to agree with most of the resonses here. I wouldn't put it on the resume. If they ask about hobbies you should mention it and see how the interviewer responds. If the interviewer is also a poker player it will be a nice piece of common ground, but if the interviewer isn't a poker player then you can just drop it.I graduated 2 years ago with a double major in finance and economics, so I am familiar with your situation. Good luck.
How's that working out for you AlexR?I didn't really think about the stigma attached to the 'typical' gambler. Thanks for all the input so far

Wow, that question should have been a no-brainer but at least you had the presence of mind to ask for opinions. There is 0% that HR anywhere would look at poker on a resume and attribute anything positive to it.

I would list it on the resume but not as poker. List it under experience as . . .Successfully analyzed random data to determine optimal timing of entry or exit from a financial market based on predetermined risk tolerance models; allowing for maximum capital gain in a constricted time period.

When I applied to law firms, I listed it under interests, right next to Harry Potter (no, I'm not ashamed). But I wouldn't try to play it up as a skillset, because for all the discipline that bankroll management requires, the desire to play poker rather than get a "real job" is typical of many people who are restless, lazy, unrealistic, or just not honest with themselves. I'm going to go out on a limb and generalize that most semi-pro poker players do not have the characteristics that make good 9-5 cogs in the corporate wheel.Also, let's not forget that the recent poker craze belongs to the younger generation, and unless you're in a young field, the people in charge aren't likely to see it as anything more than degenerates wasting valuable human capital.

Recruiters and Hiring Managers don't usually make it to the bottom of your resume anyway. And if they do, they are just looking to find you're degree's and certifications. It honestly wouldn't make much of a difference either way.

I would list it on the resume but not as poker. List it under experience as . . .Successfully analyzed random data to determine optimal timing of entry or exit from a financial market based on predetermined risk tolerance models; allowing for maximum capital gain in a constricted time period.
Wow - thats awesome hahahaha. Pretty much how most resumes read isn't it? lol

Don't even mention it, ever.Even after you get the job don't talk about it, that's how I handle it. Some people that I've worked with for years have no clue that I play poker. It's like living a double life but that can be a good thing.

Don't even mention it, ever.Even after you get the job don't talk about it, that's how I handle it. Some people that I've worked with for years have no clue that I play poker. It's like living a double life but that can be a good thing.
That's a little bit drastic? You make poker out to be like dealing heroin.

By the way, having interviewed for a fair number of jobs in finance I can tell you that all they really care about is that you aren't a moron and that you're ok with the fact that they are about to work you to the bone and suck out your soul and everything that makes you a person. But no, I'm not bitter or anything.

My advice to aspiring poker pros is to change aspirations. Poker seems much more glamorous than it actually is, and for every player who is living the dream, there are dozens who aren't. If you're smart enough to succeed at this game, you're smart enough to succeed in the real world, with much greater satisfaction. If you don't want to work for "the man", then start your own company and put your efforts into that.I think poker is a great hobby but a very poor choice of profession. I'm concerned that the current poker craze is going to leave us with legions who eventually discover that poker isn't all it's cracked up to be,but who have also rendered themselves largely unemployable. --Paul Phillips
This is good advice. With most employers if you even mention poker in a favourable light they will fire you on the spot, unless they are also degenerate scumbags and even if they are just degens they may still fire you thinking that if they dont people will notice and find out what a low life poker player they really are.swI wouldnt mention it on the resume, but once you get a job I would think it would be something good to bring up in conversation to see if your co-workers have similar interests, maybe even leading to playing during breaks and lunchtime.