• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=358001Excerpt: "The first step involves former NHL All-Star and current NHL vice-president of hockey and business development Brendan Shanahan working with the NHL Players' Association on equipment reforms."About ****ing time!
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=358001Excerpt: "The first step involves former NHL All-Star and current NHL vice-president of hockey and business development Brendan Shanahan working with the NHL Players' Association on equipment reforms."About ****ing time!
I'm not well versed on the argument about equipment, what do you think should change about it?Better helmets and smaller pads that can't be used as weapons, that sort of thing?
I'm not well versed on the argument about equipment, what do you think should change about it?Better helmets and smaller pads that can't be used as weapons, that sort of thing?
This for sure. Elbow pads have become beyond ridiculous.
This for sure. Elbow pads have become beyond ridiculous.
I watched Slapshot on Saturday...and during the striptease scene at the end it was jarringly apparent just how much bigger hockey equipment (specifically the armor portion) has gotten over the years. I doubt very much that anything is going to be done, other than maybe some token efforts to bring better helmets in and maybe penalize guys more for targeting the head. That, and watching the goalie doing his best to cover the net in equipment that only served the purpose of protecting him rather than filling gaps...it's a very different game now, no wonder scoring was up so much in the past eras. I don't know what else you can really do, is there any possible way to make the boards more forgiving when a guy is put into them?

Are football helmets better? I see quite a few hard hits and players just get right back up. Is this a matter of football helmets being safer for one reason or another (ex/ roundness)?

Are football helmets better? I see quite a few hard hits and players just get right back up. Is this a matter of football helmets being safer for one reason or another (ex/ roundness)?
I've worn both (albeit, 15-18 years ago), and to me the difference was pretty negligible. I think the difference in football is that there's less of the "blindside" type hits and also no boards to put anyone into. Both types of helmet are just hard plastic over foam padding. I might give the edge to a football helmet for having a bit thicker of a shell to it, but I would think if anything that would make it "give" less.
Morrow and Riberio should join a female hockey team.
Heh, this post of mine was pretty much about this equipment issue. Riberio got in a scuffle during the Stars/Wings game and if I remember right hit someone from the blindside with his shoulder. No biggie except after the scuffle he was shirtless and he had the largest shoulder pads I have ever seen on a player. Sure the shoulder hit is legal except the guy had two hard plastic barrels as shoulder pads. Then they showed Bertuzzi in his pads and he had two little tea cup saucer sized shoulder pads. Ribby looked like a robot with all his pads on. It's ridiculous. I guess you need all the padding to protect you from all the padding the other guy is wearing. You limit the size of the padding and then maybe, just maybe, people will think twice about delivering certain hits because they won''t be as protected themselves.IMO
Heh, this post of mine was pretty much about this equipment issue. Riberio got in a scuffle during the Stars/Wings game and if I remember right hit someone from the blindside with his shoulder. No biggie except after the scuffle he was shirtless and he had the largest shoulder pads I have ever seen on a player. Sure the shoulder hit is legal except the guy had two hard plastic barrels as shoulder pads. Then they showed Bertuzzi in his pads and he had two little tea cup saucer sized shoulder pads. Ribby looked like a robot with all his pads on. It's ridiculous. I guess you need all the padding to protect you from all the padding the other guy is wearing. You limit the size of the padding and then maybe, just maybe, people will think twice about delivering certain hits because they won''t be as protected themselves.IMO
Heh, someone posted this picture...it's the second result of a "Ribeiro pads" image search. snapshot_2011-02-24_21-34-28.jpgThat looks like goalie equipment...I wonder if it actually is.

I saw a documentary on the 1987 Canada Cup(called Mario, Mike and the Great one). First of all you guys should see it, its pretty cool looking back almost 25 years and how the players were then.The main thing that relates to this is the padding they wore was ridicolously different...

I still can't get over that armor setup of Ribeiro's...that's insanely huge. I wish I could make out the badging on it because I'd love to know if it's supposed to be goalie pads.

I really think the appointment of Shanahan to look at the equipment will result in some changes. I'm not sure if anyone has seen the shoulder pads he wore when he played, but they were even smaller and rattier looking than those Bertuzzi ones.

I still can't get over that armor setup of Ribeiro's...that's insanely huge. I wish I could make out the badging on it because I'd love to know if it's supposed to be goalie pads.
I'm almost certain they are NOT goalie pads.
I'm almost certain they are NOT goalie pads.
Definitely not goalie pads.My shoulder pads look pretty similar to the ones Ribiero is wearing. Goalie stuff looks even more like body armour.chest-protector.jpg

So, up until now, there wasnt any rule in place that said a player showing concussion symptoms should be checked out by a doctor? wow.I dont whats worse, that we need a rule to make sure the player gets checked out, or that it wasnt already in place anyway.

So, up until now, there wasnt any rule in place that said a player showing concussion symptoms should be checked out by a doctor? wow.I dont whats worse, that we need a rule to make sure the player gets checked out, or that it wasnt already in place anyway.
I imagine they were checked out, but one of the issues being addressed is that they were checked out by those who may have been more interested in getting them back onto the ice. Now they will be checked out by someone not on the team's payroll.

The Devils are 30-1 to win the cup on bet365..I wonder what they were in December..250-1...??I think at 30-1 they are a good bet still.

The Devils are 30-1 to win the cup on bet365..I wonder what they were in December..250-1...??I think at 30-1 they are a good bet still.
yesterday was the first time in 17 games they had given up a goal in the first period. thats unreal!

Anyone have a roku? Gamecenter and it don't mix too well in my experience so far. The roku works great with Netflix but gamecenter ends up buffering constantly and from time to time I have to fast forward back to live gameplay.

http://www.sportspickle.com/news/5622/nhl-...ry-bettman-only
NHL GMs Vote To Allow Head Shots On Gary Bettman OnlyMarch 16, 20115a43d4bdaeae36510aea4d11d7ba363c.jpgAfter two days of meetings, NHL general managers have decided that all shots to the head on anyone other than league commissioner Gary Bettman will result in a steep fine and suspension. Also, anyone who hits Bettman in the head will receive a large bonus.“For the health of our players and especially the long-term health of our sport, we thought this was the smartest decision,” said Montreal general manager Pierre Gauthier. “We will revisit everything once the commissioner is forced to resign due to severe head trauma.”The unanimous decision by the league’s general managers has been met with great enthusiasm by NHL fans. A line outside of the NHL’s Toronto headquarters spreads eight blocks as fans from all over the world queue for a chance to hit Bettman in the head.“I’m not even a very big hockey fan,” said one person in line who flew in from New Zealand. “I just appreciate competent leadership. So I felt like the least I could do is fly across the world for the chance to hit Gary Bettman in the head.”Bettman has not commented so far on the decision.“I don’t really expect him to comment anytime soon,” said Penguins general manager Ray Shero. “He was knocked out quickly after the vote when we started hitting him. He’s been unconscious ever since.”
Anyone have a roku? Gamecenter and it don't mix too well in my experience so far. The roku works great with Netflix but gamecenter ends up buffering constantly and from time to time I have to fast forward back to live gameplay.
Not to be a smart ass, but isnt it just better to get a television?