Random Hockey Observations

FWIW, this happened last night in the Sabres-Pens game...Tyler Ennis knew exactly where he was and exactly what was about to happen and avoided the injury.

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

FWIW, this happened last night in the Sabres-Pens game...Tyler Ennis knew exactly where he was and exactly what was about to happen and avoided the injury.
Well he is a superstar in the making. <wink>
As much as I like making fun of Kyprios there is a commercial where he says "the players are too big and the game is too fast".This sucks and watching that play once was enough. Max's speed plus Chara's force equals bad news, I think the rules need big time changes like the NFL.A defenseless reciever rule, the new quarterback rule, helmut to helmut hit rule, for those that don't watch the NFL they change rules every year and enforce them better than any other league. The NHL can't even change the no touch icing rule which is available in plenty of different leagues. The NHL really needs a major facelift because the players are faster and stronger.
whats funny is that fans of both sports know the NFLPA has next to no bargaining power, yet its their constituents that are protected so well in a violent sport.at what point do we start pointing the finger at the NHLPA?
That might be the bigger discussion, and where the fault truly lies:Players might make split second decisions, but they are still decisions. The hit might end up being harmless, it might break a guys neck. Players dont consider the OUTCOME, just the act. So you have to make the punishment for the ACT so severe that the only decision is 'is this a good hit or a bad hit'. Unfortunately, the NHL is never going to do it. They aren't going to suspend Chara for 30 games. They don't suspend worthless plugs like Gillies for anything substantial. But if they DID.... then guys just wouldnt hit someone in those touchy spots. And would that hurt the game? Doubtful...
IMHO if they don't make decisions it's even worse -- that the bad "behaviour" is so ingrained that they no longer have to think about it. If this was in the general public we'd be scared... rather it's applauded here.
whats funny is that fans of both sports know the NFLPA has next to no bargaining power, yet its their constituents that are protected so well in a violent sport.at what point do we start pointing the finger at the NHLPA?
Except that the NFL players don't want those changes. They want to be manly men and think the game is becoming sissified. The league basically says, "Fuck you we're doing it anyway."
Except that the NFL players don't want those changes. They want to be manly men and think the game is becoming sissified. The league basically says, "Fuck you we're doing it anyway."
Well in the short run players get their salary whether they are on the IR or not...
Chara gets no suspension....
At this point a suspension or no suspension really doesn't mean anything too me. Its like big deal he got 5 games its the bigger picture that Iam more concerned about.
I heard Colin doesn't judge on this one because his son works for the Bruins. Any Boston related discplinary is done by someone else.
Yes, Mike Murphy handles anything to do with the Bruins.
I honestly have no idea what that has to do with this.
Just that it's easier to be macho if the money is in the bank either way. Owners (per the NFL example are the ones that are pushing for the rules) have to put butts in the seats and pay for replacement players.

You know what the NHL needs? They need a truly respected hockey ambassador to step up and take a stand, make a bold statement that this type of behaviour should not be tolerated. It should be somebody who has played the game, and is still involved with the game in some capacity. Most importantly it should be a figure that is universally respected across the game of hockey. I bet something like that could really make a difference on the way things are done in the NHL.....

You know what the NHL needs? They need a truly respected hockey ambassador to step up and take a stand, make a bold statement that this type of behaviour should not be tolerated. It should be somebody who has played the game, and is still involved with the game in some capacity. Most importantly it should be a figure that is universally respected across the game of hockey. I bet something like that could really make a difference on the way things are done in the NHL.....
I dont know why, but the first name I thought of while reading this was.....Brendan Shanahan.There's a guy who played it hard, and quite dirty at times too, so its not like he is arguing for his way of play. And by all accounts, hes very respected by old school and the new powers that be.Dale's mentioned him a few times as someone who could/should have more powers.
I was being Facetious, but Brendan Shanahan is a good suggestion!
ya, I guess I should have caught onto the Mario thing, but I was really taking it seriously. oops. :)And in that vain, I think its harder for the Don Cherry crowd to bash a guy like Shanahan, then say a guy like Mario. Style of play, roles after playing the game, sacrifices...and on and on.
This is how I'd do it:15x35v9.jpgEdit: "Penalty" should be "Penalty/fine," but I'm not going back to change it.
It appears I was wrong about the bank robbery issue. Blows my mind.I still like my flow chart though. :(
That flow chart is incomplete, cannot compute.can't those insanely dangerous partitions be made less dangerous?board.jpg

I don't think pacioretty could have protected himself in this situation. he got hit before the red line when the puck was already at the blue line. In the Ennis video, he has control of the puck and instinctively protects himself as he enters the zone. Paccioretty couldn't have expected to get smashed like that when he didn't even have the puck.I think Chara knew exactly what he was doing. He didn't intend to injure, but he knew it would hurt if he hit him into the partition. I think if it was Gionta or Gomez beating him with speed there, he doesn't smash their face into the partition. But the had an opportunity with Pacioretty at his mercy and made a split second bone head decision to go full tilt on him. Unfortunately Chara suffers zero consequence and Pacioretty is potentially starting a life long battle.

I don't think pacioretty could have protected himself in this situation. he got hit before the red line when the puck was already at the blue line. In the Ennis video, he has control of the puck and instinctively protects himself as he enters the zone. Paccioretty couldn't have expected to get smashed like that when he didn't even have the puck.I think Chara knew exactly what he was doing. He didn't intend to injure, but he knew it would hurt if he hit him into the partition. I think if it was Gionta of Gomez beating him with speed there, he doesn't smash their face into the partition. But the had an opportunity with Pacioretty at his mercy and made a split second bone head decision to go full tilt on him. Unfortunately Chara suffers zero consequence and Pacioretty is potentially starting a life long battle.
Exactly! But we only think that way because we're Habs fans, eh Bob?

Didn't target the head.Just a hockey play.The stanchion's fault.Chara was unaware the stanchion was there.Pacioretty should have protected himself.charabs.jpg

Exactly! But we only think that way because we're Habs fans, eh Bob?
I'm a leafs fan and I hate the stinky habs ( :club: ), but I agree 100% with you guys on this one.

I don't want to minimize how brutal the result of this is but the best way to see what happened is in the video replays that show the play from the opposite angle.Those replays show that the picture that Dale posted isn't really indicative of what happened. Chara shoved him in the shoulder 5 or 6 feet away from the "turnbuckle" and that launched him into the stanchion. He didn't ram his head into it.There was no way for Pacioretty to defend himself in any way.It was an irresponsible play and I think he should have been suspended but it does nobody good to focus on a picture like that which doesn't really show what happened. There's no way to know what exactly Chara's intent was beyond saying his intent was to hit Pacioretty into the boards/bench area which is a very dangerous thing to do.I don't personally think that Chara intended to ram his head into the "turnbuckle" based on his history as a player. I don't blame Montreal fans and others for being emotional and thinking the worst of Chara.