Random Hockey Observations

My strategy is to use the first few games to weed out the weaker players. Then I'll play the stronger players for the majority of the time and alternate a weaker player in there every now and then. We're allowed one coach on the playing field so I'm gonna run around and keep them hustling whether they like it or not. First one who cries or complains about anything will be used as an example and prohibited from partaking in the Mr. Freezie halftime ceremonies.Seriously though...we have two goals.1. Have fun. I want the kids to have a good time and enjoy coming to soccer and socializing with other kids.2. I'd like to introduce them to kicking with the inside of their feet or their instep.
Which one of your rules covers the usage of a Tazer on kids that won't run fast enough to be a winner?Don't be a WUSSSSSSSSY!!!! BZZZZZZZT.
  • Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

It's funny, even though my attention and interest has waned a bit as the playoffs have progressed, I've still been followin all the scores closely and watching whatever games I can. On Saturday I actually completely forgot there was a game, and didn't even know the score, or remember about the game, until I was surfing the net on Sunday afternoon. It felt weird. I felt like a non-hardcore, casual fan for about 5 minutes.

OMGMe: Okay buddy, you can pick the ball up in this area right here. Anywhere else and you can only use your feet like everyone else. Got it? This area you can pick the ball up. This area right here.Him: I can cross my eyes.

i heard there is a hockey game tonight..anyone watching?
Went out to the bar to watch it, saw exactly the game I expected to (low scoring/shutdown). Philly's going to win the next one, then Chicago steals one on the road and wins Game 5 at home for the hoist.
Went out to the bar to watch it, saw exactly the game I expected to (low scoring/shutdown). Philly's going to win the next one, then Chicago steals one on the road and wins Game 5 at home for the hoist.
I honestly didnt watch more than 5 minutes...There was a riveting Blue Jays game, who by the way are awesome.Also after the game we watched the Bacholerette..YUP I SAID IT..Great show..Two guys from Toronto..One is a pretty boy wrestler the other is a trouble maker..WEEEE I LOVE THE BACHOLERETTE...And I am proud to admit it
I honestly didnt watch more than 5 minutes...There was a riveting Blue Jays game, who by the way are awesome.Also after the game we watched the Bacholerette..YUP I SAID IT..Great show..Two guys from Toronto..One is a pretty boy wrestler the other is a trouble maker..WEEEE I LOVE THE BACHOLERETTE...And I am proud to admit it
sick thing is, your not kidding.I didnt watch much hockey either, but Bacholerette? thats terrible.(lovin the Jays run too, hope it keeps up, or at least the youngsters continue to build, esp the pitching)
Not watching your Philadelphia Flyers?

From MyESPN Today email...

Did you know?The Chicago Blackhawks beat the Philadelphia Flyers 2-1 Monday night in Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals, moving them two wins away from their first Stanley Cup since 1961. The Blackhawks are now 5-0 in these playoffs in games decided by one goal and have a 2-0 lead in the series. Since the NHL went to best-of-7 in the Cup final in 1939, teams winning Games 1 and 2 have won the Cup 41 of the 45 previous occurrences.
Hopefully this series goes the same way as 91% of the others.

1. Regarding coaching soccer. So you Canucks don't have zone soccer for 6 and under? Best game in the world for that age. The field is broken into squares. Each square has one kid from each team. They cannot leave the square under any circumstances or play stops. This forces them to learn to pass to teammates, teaches them position, and eliminates the always enjoyable, 22 players in a pile around the ball. That is what I played 5 - 6 years old and then once 7 we started to play full field soccer.2. I told myself to root for the Hawks because I think it would make the Det/Chi rivalry better and if some team in our division won the Cup then it would help urge Holland to put a great team toghether. While that all sounds good on paper, watching the game is different. I just could not root for them last night and kept rooting for the Flyers. I thought I could do it but I can't. Go flyers.

1. Regarding coaching soccer. So you Canucks don't have zone soccer for 6 and under? Best game in the world for that age. The field is broken into squares. Each square has one kid from each team. They cannot leave the square under any circumstances or play stops. This forces them to learn to pass to teammates, teaches them position, and eliminates the always enjoyable, 22 players in a pile around the ball. That is what I played 5 - 6 years old and then once 7 we started to play full field soccer.
Never heard/seen of this, weird. P.S. I have more time now that summer is upon us, we should play some BFBC. I'll send you a message when I'm finally free from prep stuff at work.
Never heard/seen of this, weird. P.S. I have more time now that summer is upon us, we should play some BFBC. I'll send you a message when I'm finally free from prep stuff at work.
Yeah it is an awesome way to teach the game to the little kids. Hell I played on some teams in my teens that would have benefited with a season of zone soccer. lolDefinately.
Yeah it is an awesome way to teach the game to the little kids. Hell I played on some teams in my teens that would have benefited with a season of zone soccer. lolDefinately.
Awesome stuff..Our kids dont practice, but it might even be a cool practice exercise...
Steve, you should patent that idea.

Jonathan Toews reminds me of Bryan Trottier. A lot! If Kane comes anywhere close to being like Mike Bossy then the Hawks are in good shape for a few years.

Steve Yzerman the new GM of the Lightning, was the one responsible for leaving Lecavalier off Team Canada for the Olympics..

That's how gym hockey (deck hockey, floor hockey, whatever you call it) is played in youth leagues around here. Only the centers are allowed to roam anywhere on the floor, the defensemen and wings have to stay in their own zone. Basically just divide the floor into quarters, defensemen and wingers aren't allowed to cross their side of the center lines. I played gym hockey every Saturday for like 10 years, loved it.

Speaking of floor hockey...I just joined a pick up midweek ball hockey game. Tues and Thursday lunch hour..Very excited.

Steve Yzerman the new GM of the Lightning, was the one responsible for leaving Lecavalier St. Louis and Stamkos off Team Canada for the Olympics..
Lecavalier didn't deserve to be on there.
Lecavalier didn't deserve to be on there.
Yes but the rumoured movement of Lecavalier should pick up more steam IMO
Steve Yzerman the new GM of the Lightning, was the one responsible for leaving Lecavalier off Team Canada for the Olympics..
I thought it was stamkos and st louis who got screwed on the lightning, lecav was third in line on that team imo.

Theory being thrown around on a talk show yesterday....I believe by Steve Ludzig..The NHL totally changes the way they call penalties in the playoffs, therefore changes the style of play.Therefore skilled teams who were succesful in the regular season this year ie Capital, Sharks and Penguins have no shot at going deep. Teams like the Flyers who get away with calls (see Pronger on every play) are more succesful...While Chicago deserves everything they have had, the style that Byfuglien plays would not work in the regular season as he would be in the box all game.The referreing in the playoffs is a joke, and is the only sport(maybe basketball too) that changes the rules in the playoffs.

I'm sure Serge will take some crap for this, but I don't think the above is totally crazy.I don't think a few penalties here or there make up for the difference between the Flyers and Penguins/Caps, but it's still something.p.s. Chris Pronger is probably my most hated player in the NHL today. Roenick passed the title to Tucker. While still technically in the NHL, Tucker doesn't really count any more. This whole stealing the game puck thing isn't funny to me, more like something a shortsighted teenager or mentally stunted grownup would do.

I'm sure Serge will take some crap for this, but I don't think the above is totally crazy.I don't think a few penalties here or there make up for the difference between the Flyers and Penguins/Caps, but it's still something.p.s. Chris Pronger is probably my most hated player in the NHL today. Roenick passed the title to Tucker. While still technically in the NHL, Tucker doesn't really count any more. This whole stealing the game puck thing isn't funny to me, more like something a shortsighted teenager or mentally stunted grownup would do.
Well its not my theory so crap away.. :club: I totally agree with it FWIW..Regarding Pronger..You have to give me the man some props...He has made the Stanley Cup Finals 3 of the last 5 years with Anaheim, Edmonton and now Philly.We all know about Hossa's streak of 3 in a row, however Pronger is a huge part of the reason for the success of his teams. His play is questionable to some, but the man is a difference maker on every team he plays on.