Random Hockey Observations

Well its not my theory so crap away.. :club: I totally agree with it FWIW..Regarding Pronger..You have to give me the man some props...He has made the Stanley Cup Finals 3 of the last 5 years with Anaheim, Edmonton and now Philly.We all know about Hossa's streak of 3 in a row, however Pronger is a huge part of the reason for the success of his teams. His play is questionable to some, but the man is a difference maker on every team he plays on.
agree completely about Pronger.and I would also agree that part of his success is based on the fact that the referees dont call the games the same as they do in the reg. season.PS- WHALERS DRAFT PICK!
  • Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

Pronger is a very good hockey player, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. So was Roenick. Tucker...less so, but still contributed for most of his years. Still loser dbags though : )

Pronger is a very good hockey player, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. So was Roenick. Tucker...less so, but still contributed for most of his years. Still loser dbags though : )
I never got the hate for Tucker, i loved him obviously...Of course I am biased in that area..He was such a gritty , tough hockey player...Made for the playoffs....

Lol @ the Pronger hate.I would almost guarantee that Pronger will hand those pucks over to Niemi when the series is over. It's nothing more than gamesmanship and no different than all the yapping that goes on. Anyone here hating on Sharp for yapping at Leightin when h was pulled in game 1?

Theory being thrown around on a talk show yesterday....I believe by Steve Ludzig..The NHL totally changes the way they call penalties in the playoffs, therefore changes the style of play.Therefore skilled teams who were succesful in the regular season this year ie Capital, Sharks and Penguins have no shot at going deep. Teams like the Flyers who get away with calls (see Pronger on every play) are more succesful...While Chicago deserves everything they have had, the style that Byfuglien plays would not work in the regular season as he would be in the box all game.The referreing in the playoffs is a joke, and is the only sport(maybe basketball too) that changes the rules in the playoffs.
Not a new theory, and has a lot of truth to it. I think a large part of it is just human nature. If you're a ref calling a game in mid-feb between the leafs and the islanders, it's a lot easier to call penalties because the game means nothing. But when you make a decision in the Stanley Cup final, you know it's going to be analyzed over and over and over, whether you're right or wrong. So it makes sense that it would be harder to make a call, just on human nature, never mind instruction.
Lol @ the Pronger hate.I would almost guarantee that Pronger will hand those pucks over to Niemi when the series is over. It's nothing more than gamesmanship and no different than all the yapping that goes on. Anyone here hating on Sharp for yapping at Leightin when h was pulled in game 1?
You know with the trash talking, I personally do not like it. I now see it all the time in my son's games (hockey, soccer and baseball). The coaches try to tone it down but the kids still do it. I wonder why?
Not a new theory, and has a lot of truth to it. I think a large part of it is just human nature. If you're a ref calling a game in mid-feb between the leafs and the islanders, it's a lot easier to call penalties because the game means nothing. But when you make a decision in the Stanley Cup final, you know it's going to be analyzed over and over and over, whether you're right or wrong. So it makes sense that it would be harder to make a call, just on human nature, never mind instruction.
Are the refs instructed by Colin Campbell to call the games differently?I am totally ok with the refs being human and not robots, but the style of play is much different..Oh btw if you guys want to see one of the worst calls by a ref/umpire it was last night when the ump cost the Tigers Gallarraga a perfect game.
Are the refs instructed by Colin Campbell to call the games differently?I am totally ok with the refs being human and not robots, but the style of play is much different..Oh btw if you guys want to see one of the worst calls by a ref/umpire it was last night when the ump cost the Tigers Gallarraga a perfect game.
I dont know for sure, but I dont believe they are given any instruction. As for the Gallaraga call, the umpire was devastated and admitted that he blew the call. And it's nice to see an official take responsibility
Hopefully he does, which just makes him slightly less of a dick. Sharp was being whiny. If he continues to act inexcusably childish and play dirty for the next 12 years I'll get on him as well!
I posted about this at the FCBL site but I will post it here. The way things played out last night at the Tigers game is something all leagues and all people should look at to see how things should be done.I have much respect for the ump Joyce last night for 1.) taking a bunch of shit from the Tigers on the field and then 2.) after seeing the replay going straight to the lockerroom and apologizing personally to Leyland, Galaragga, and then the whole team for his mistake. I will say it and nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this, if this happened in the NHL Bettman would have called Joyce immediately to shut him up. The NHL never takes any kind of responsibility for their mistakes. And that is all they are are mistakes. Your refs and your league should be man enough to own up to them, but they rarely if ever do. On top of that you have Galaragga who showed the world what the definition of "class" is. He didn't go on some childish tirade, he didn't point fingers, or lose his composure. He accepted Joyce's apology and moved on. Sadly the city hasn't as the radio is filled with people demanding and saying so ridiculous stuff. Armando knows he threw a perfect game. That is all that matters to him and that is all that should matter imo. It was ablown call but I can't beat a guy up for immediately admitting to the world that he screwed up.
I posted about this at the FCBL site but I will post it here. The way things played out last night at the Tigers game is something all leagues and all people should look at to see how things should be done.I have much respect for the ump Joyce last night for 1.) taking a bunch of shit from the Tigers on the field and then 2.) after seeing the replay going straight to the lockerroom and apologizing personally to Leyland, Galaragga, and then the whole team for his mistake. I will say it and nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this, if this happened in the NHL Bettman would have called Joyce immediately to shut him up. The NHL never takes any kind of responsibility for their mistakes. And that is all they are are mistakes. Your refs and your league should be man enough to own up to them, but they rarely if ever do. On top of that you have Galaragga who showed the world what the definition of "class" is. He didn't go on some childish tirade, he didn't point fingers, or lose his composure. He accepted Joyce's apology and moved on. Sadly the city hasn't as the radio is filled with people demanding and saying so ridiculous stuff. Armando knows he threw a perfect game. That is all that matters to him and that is all that should matter imo. It was ablown call but I can't beat a guy up for immediately admitting to the world that he screwed up.
I doubt Bettman would be aware of what was going on in time to stop any referee from going to a team's dressing room.P.S Kelly Gruber and the Blue Jays are still waiting for that apology for the missed triple play call :club:
I doubt Bettman would be aware of what was going on in time to stop any referee from going to a team's dressing room.P.S Kelly Gruber and the Blue Jays are still waiting for that apology for the missed triple play call :club:
I would bet there is some mandate that disallows the ref to talk to the press or anyone after a game when something like this happens. I mean jesus, Pens had like 15 guys on the ice last cup final for like half a period and the league still tried to ignore it ever happened.
I would bet there is some mandate that disallows the ref to talk to the press or anyone after a game when something like this happens. I mean jesus, Pens had like 15 guys on the ice last cup final for like half a period and the league still tried to ignore it ever happened.
Not sure if MLB has made an official statement,but Joyce definetely did the right thing.You also cant go overturning umpires calls in baseball, as part of the game is human nature.Steve your comments on the situation are dead on...Galarraga was the ultimate gentleman and took it really well...I am pretty sure no one feels worse than Joyce does right now.Hockey officials led by the commish are pompous and would never do that ....Lets not start with Kerry Fraser talks
I posted about this at the FCBL site but I will post it here.
This is the most sense I've seen you make re: sports.I totally agree.
agree wholeheartedly. great story.

Yeah, they probably do have some protocol. Have they commented on the Brett Hull Cup winning goal yet? Lol Adam?Also...I wonder if there will be any repercussions for Philly showing th highlight last night while the officials were determining whether or not the puck crossed the line.

Not sure if MLB has made an official statement,but Joyce definetely did the right thing.You also cant go overturning umpires calls in baseball, as part of the game is human nature.Steve your comments on the situation are dead on...Galarraga was the ultimate gentleman and took it really well...I am pretty sure no one feels worse than Joyce does right now.Hockey officials led by the commish are pompous and would never do that ....Lets not start with Kerry Fraser talks
I don't think all hockey officials are pompous.
I don't think all hockey officials are pompous.
I don't believe so either but I do believe the league tries to downplay mistakes instead of owning up to them. I think owning up to mistakes can or should put your league is a brighter light.

JJJ is right, there are too many threads discussing the same thing...but I will post this here anyway though I posted it elsewhere...

Tigers manager Jim Leyland said Thursday morning that he'll have Galarraga bring out the Tigers lineup to Joyce and the rest of the umpiring crew at home plate and shake hands. Leyland hopes that will diffuse any ill will from fans.Leyland said that Major League Baseball gave Joyce the option to pull out of Thursday's assignment, but he chose to work. Joyce, however, said Thursday morning he had no contact with MLB on that matter.Leyland set up the Galarraga visit in hopes that Joyce wouldn't have to relive the negative reaction that followed him immediately after the call."This is a day for Detroit to shine," Leyland said. "First of all, you are talking about one of the best umpires in the business and one of the best guys. You are talking about a guy who feels worse than anybody. It's sad. This guy is an outstanding umpire. I just really think it's a day for Tigers fans to really show what we are all about in a positive way. I really believe that, and I hope that they do. I don't know that they will, but I hope they do. I'm going to try and push for it as much as I can."The guy had every bit of integrity. He faced the music. He stood there and took it. What else can he do? I just don't believe in beating people up like that. If he would have been there and been defiant, and said 'No, I got it right,' and all this and that, and looked at it afterward and said, 'Well, yeah, I missed it,' well that's one thing. But this guy was a mess, I mean a freaking mess. I'm taking about sincere. There was nothing phony about it. This guy was a mess. My heart goes out to him."Joyce told reporters Thursday morning that his family had taken some of the negative reaction."I wish my family was out of this," Joyce said, "and I wish they would just direct it all to me. It's a big problem. My wife is a rock. My kids are very strong. But they don't deserve this. I'll take it. I'll take whatever you can give me, and I'll handle it like a man, and I'll do the best I can."Gerald Laird, who confronted Joyce in the infield immediately after the game to argue with him and had to be separated by Tigers infield coach Rafael Belliard, was to be the Tigers' starting catcher on Thursday. He was remorseful about the incident immediately after the game."We probably were a little bit out of line, I'd say," Laird said Wednesday night. "At the time, I'm sure he thought he made the right call. But when he goes back and looks at it, he's going to see. It's just more out of frustration and wanting it so bad for your teammate. That's all it is when some of us get on him."I've got all the respect in the world for Jim Joyce. He's a great umpire. He's always been. I've always had a good relationship with him. I think it's just more the heat of the moment. That's why we were getting on him. You just want it so bad, something of that caliber for your teammate."

Further to the Galarraga/Joyce story.... today, Galaraga brought the lineup to the umpire, which was Joyce. They shook hands, and Joyce was in tears. It was a great moment...

"I think we should give a standing ovation to everyone involved."Yup.This is a better story than if Joyce had got the call right. Much much better.I dont even care about the comparison to the NHL refs, I just think its how people should act and conduct themselves.