Random Hockey Observations

Yeah, everyone is transitioning between work and home, then eating with the family or whatever. I'm weird, so I'm still online during those hours, and bored as shit every time.

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

I had to pick up some stuff for the upcoming Sportscard Expo next week. So I pack up the family and head to Buffalo for the weekend (still here). Since the Sabres won and my son & I being autograph hounds we head to the practice rink (1 min drive from the hotel).I drop the wife and girls off at a store and we head off. We get there and of course my son sees stars (the Sabres are on the ice). We stand against the glass and Nathan & I talk and he heads back to the van to get the stuff. I then start up a conversation with an older guy next to me. I say it looks like half the team did not make it to practice. He then tells me that the Sabres are back at the HSBC doing off ice training. The majority of the guys on the ice are from the Portland team and he starts mentioning all the guys on the ice like he knows them. I then say but Vanek is on the ice? He then says that it is the guys who did not play yesterday. I then tell him we are from Toronto and since the Leafs have not been in the playoffs for 5 years, we wanted to see a playoff team. I also ask him what is best methods to try and get some autos (LOL). He tells me what we should do. Anyways to cut a long story short. I go back to the store to get the family and leave my son at the rink (since he is a pro). I come back and walk into the practice rink and see that old guy and Lindy Ruff walking out (talking to each other). It then dawn on me who he was. Darcy Regier. I feel like such a loser.We do get Vanek on 4 pucks and Chris Butler on 2 hockey cards.

I had to pick up some stuff for the upcoming Sportscard Expo next week. So I pack up the family and head to Buffalo for the weekend (still here). Since the Sabres won and my son & I being autograph hounds we head to the practice rink (1 min drive from the hotel).I drop the wife and girls off at a store and we head off. We get there and of course my son sees stars (the Sabres are on the ice). We stand against the glass and Nathan & I talk and he heads back to the van to get the stuff. I then start up a conversation with an older guy next to me. I say it looks like half the team did not make it to practice. He then tells me that the Sabres are back at the HSBC doing off ice training. The majority of the guys on the ice are from the Portland team and he starts mentioning all the guys on the ice like he knows them. I then say but Vanek is on the ice? He then says that it is the guys who did not play yesterday. I then tell him we are from Toronto and since the Leafs have not been in the playoffs for 5 years, we wanted to see a playoff team. I also ask him what is best methods to try and get some autos (LOL). He tells me what we should do. Anyways to cut a long story short. I go back to the store to get the family and leave my son at the rink (since he is a pro). I come back and walk into the practice rink and see that old guy and Lindy Ruff walking out (talking to each other). It then dawn on me who he was. Darcy Regier. I feel like such a loser.We do get Vanek on 4 pucks and Chris Butler on 2 hockey cards.
Very cool story Wayne!
The overtime hockey is great, mainly because there is no commercial interruptions.
I agree. It's like the complete opposite of the Super Bowl game.
Sooo, we're not going to talk about how Hossa should have been thrown out of that game?
I thought that should've been, at worst, a 2-minute penalty. Hossa barely touched him and it wasn't interference. Maybe you can call it boarding (I don't know the definition of boarding), but that's it. It was only 5 because Hamhuis hit the boards badly.IMO, this was pretty different than the other hits we've seen when they're trying to avoid icing. It wasn't a race for the puck, it wasn't interference. Just a guy playing the puck, then getting hit/pushed. Hamhuis went into the boards badly because he was off-balance when he played the puck, in a situation where he should've expected to be hit.$0.02.

I thought it was pretty similar to the hit Ovechkin made on...Campbell? He clearly only saw the guy's back, and shoved him into the boards like Ovechkin did.

I thought it was pretty similar to the hit Ovechkin made on...Campbell? He clearly only saw the guy's back, and shoved him into the boards like Ovechkin did.
That's pretty much how I saw it. I understand how he doesn't get suspended, because more goes into that including past history etc. Just hard to see Ovi one handed shove a guy who gets hurt pretty badly into the boards from behind. He gets the heave-ho, alright guess that's how it's going to be called. Hossa two handed shoves a guy into the boards who gets hurt pretty badly. Gets the same major but, no ejection. All you ever want out of officiating is consistency across the board.
Similar but not as severe. Hossa didn't appear to put as much behind the hit as Ovechkin did. Hossa also doesn't have the reputation of Ovechkin (as far as I know). I think the major penalty was enough of a punishment.

Also, if I were Detroit. Down 4-1 at home, facing a game 7 in Glendale. I'd be scared as hell and be giving everything I've got just to get back in this game, like obviously they will anyway.

I didn't see it that. Looks to me like he is pushing him in the side, not in the back. Hossa's looks more like a guy pushing someone out of the way, whereas Ovechkin's looked like someone shoving the opponent onto his face.Plus, looked like a one-handed shove (not two) from where I was sitting. I guess I could watch it again.sidenote - I love Hamhuis. I'd also point out that I am not a Hossa fan...but is anyone a Hossa fan? That seems redundant!

There's a good look near the end of this clip (around 1:10 mark) that shows he got two hands on him, but it wasn't any herculean shove. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFZsPGJ6X1E...player_embeddedI think it's completely correct not to suspend him, though the part about Hamhuis doing well is a factor I've always hated and wish the NHL would change.

I don't think the Wings are gonna pull this off. Maybe but I will not be surprised at all if they get crushed tomorrow night. Doan might be back which gives them a huge lift. On the road.Most pressure on Howard ever.Yesterday was brutal. I knew they would lose after about 7 minutes. When you have a 6 minute PP with over a minute of it 5 on 3 and you end up down 1-0 after that it;s just downhill from there.