**official Mma Thread**

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

Good riddance.

The correct solution to this problem is a mandatory 2 year ban for "fake taps" and on that basis, allow fighters to release locks prior to the refs stopping the fight. If the person who tapped claims they didn't tap and the ref didn't see it, OK, fight on but just know that after the fights over and your opponent lodges a complaint about a fake tap, the SAC reviews the video and it turns out you did tap, the victim gets a DQ win no matter theoutcome and you're working as a landscaper for the next two years. Absolute integrity must be returned to taps to allow for immediate release, which will require SACs to get involved.

A decent heel hook can destroy the joint before a ref has time to react and 'confirm' the players tap. Fighters need the option to release upon tap- which is the whole point of the tap- and not wait for 'ref stoppage' which may come too late. Bullshit angle shooters and "tap denials" ****ed this up, which creates a danger for the fighters. Until the SACs take a hard punative line on fake taps allowing fighters to release instantly, the only way to keep it fair is ref stoppage which will eventually come too late, at the expense of someones joint.

An example of a fake tap: Chael Sonnen v Anderson Silva 1, when Anderson had the triangle, Chael feigned tap then when Anderson let go, claimed he never tapped.

$645 on Cain straight @ -215. Interesting opportunity w/ JDS by KO/TKO @ +250 but probably not hedging this time (which is a guarantee that JDS knocks out Cain). JDS by sub is paying +1700

$20 Sanchez by Decision @ +725

Can't decide if I want to break the "Never Ever Bet A Roy Nelson Fight" vow since there's weirdness in the props hugely favoring it going the distance.

I want to take Gonzaga and the price but avoiding it.

Waiting for Boetsch / Dollaway to open hoping that Boetsch coming off back to back losses prices him doggy. I'll probably take money away from Cain and put it on Boetsch, price depending.

Serious Bets:

Adjusting to $430 on Cain at -215.

$330 on Boetsch @ -165

Fun Bets Just For The Sweat:

Still on for Sanchez by D @ +725 but just for $5.

Put the other $5 flier on Nelson by Sub at +2150 (this bet is insane, but $5 on old Roy finally plying his BJJ and his recent major weight loss)

Also putting $5 fliers on R3 finishes by both Cormier @ +1150, Nelson @ +3100.

I'm going to start cutting down my flier bets from $10-$20 to $5-$10 since they're a leak.

Remember, even Barnett couldn't do anything against Cormier and he actively looks to sub people. Nelson will have to flash him and pounce for a sub, I think. Roy isn't much on takedowns.

It's not going to happen. Roy is not going to sub him, ever.

So why spend the $5?

Because **** him. That's why.

Seriously though. DC is going to wrestle**** him, Roy's BJJ isn't even 'underrated'. It's just totally 'unrated' even though he supposedly has high level jits. He's not going to beat DC standing, he's not going to out-wrestle him. His only hope is get it to the ground and shock him with some totally unexpected BJJ'ish thing. If he ever really had BJJ in his back pocket, now's the time to break it out because DC's going to maul him.

It's a hugely -ev bet but its $5 and just for fun. I just want to see him take that path because it's the right strategy for him in this fight and literally any other strategy against DC is a guaranteed loss. Taking the fight in the first place was a guaranteed loss.

Putting a cautious $20 on Montague @ +310

Eliminated $5 fliers on R3 finishes (which guarantees it will occur) to pay for $10 on Gonzaga by Sub @ 625

Roy weighed in at 249, minus belly. Still fluffy but it wouldn't shock me to see him actually go to 205. People booing a class act like JDS are enormous faggots. I support economic nationalism but that's about it. Those people are retarded.

I obviously wouldn't boo, but is it that big of a deal? Mexicans will root for their guy and boo whoever the opponent is. If the fight was in Brazil it would be the same way with booing Cain

• Like 1

I guess it's just a visceral reaction that recalls when Cain beat JDS, the audience was booing him in the post fight interview and he asked them "Why are you booing?"

I felt bad for him.The guy just lost the belt, fought his ass off against the flesh and blood embodiment of the monster that lives under the bed, standing there defeated with major post-fight burgerface and a bunch of retards are ****ing booing him.

Well I'll agree that is a bad spot to boo.

Just splashing around tonight I could easily go 0-4. I bet $20 on moneylines for Boestch, Gonzaga, Sanchez, and Dos Santos

Boetsch with the splitter but that could've easily gone the other way.

I'll take the money but don't anticipate betting on him again any time soon.

He fought like shit and more than once during the fight, I had written that money off.

I made so much money early on with JDS and Glover when they were profoundly underrated newcomers (but anyone who'd been paying attention and watching videos knew what the deal was with them) that I think I have a bit of a leak overplaying promotional newcomers. Monty has chin problems if that put him out.

Gonzaga looked good too. Weird line on him. Opened the even steven favorite at -105, blows up to a +200 dog there for a while then steadily trailed back down to +135 at showtime. He always gets priced cheap.

Boxing is kinda ****ed. Young guys interested in combat sports watch MMA, not boxing. It just is what it is. I like boxing but to deny this is being a Pollyanna. There's still time to develop, though. Consider we live in a world where full contact mixed martial arts actually exists as a serious, competitive sport yet World Wrestling Entertainment continues to sell out arenas.

Yay I can eat next week.

(Cain in R5 paid +2125)

Did you hit that? Jeez. I need to get on a site with props.

I went nuts in the Diego fight when it looked like he knocked Melendez out. I haven't seen Melendez fight that much since I never watched Strikeforce, but he's got to be one of my favorite fighters after that. He just seems like a true professional fighter. Even in the crazy flurries he looked like he had perfect technique and just kept tagging Sanchez over and over.

So apparently they don't stop fights with horrible cuts anymore? I don't know how Sanchez can handle getting hit with all that scarred tissue on his face. In the Dos Santos fight they were testing to see if he could see from the eye with the cut, but the eye without the cut was the one they should have been testing. It was swollen shut!

Awesome card. My only note from the prelims is wtf was Dolloway's deal? I've never seen him showboat like that before.

No I didn't bet it, just pointing out how those R5 fliers seem inefficiently priced.

I'll have to figure it out one day, look at historical lines and how many R5 finishes there are relative to what it would've cost to selectively bet them over an arc of time.

Dolloway did act like a total toolbox, which damn well may have contributed to his loss.

Tight splitter, being a dbag can tip the scales.

With Cormier unwilling to fight Cain, apparently the hwd is locked into an annoying talent strata with Cain a dominant #1 who nobody can beat, JDS a dominant #2 who nobody but Cain can beat, then the 'others'. Dominant Champ and Perennial #1 Contender is not good for the heavies. I wonder if JDS can make 205. Doubt it, looking at him at 240, but weight cutting is a weird thing.

If Jones at HW doesn't bust up the logjam, that means an existing player must have a major skill-level breakout. Not going to happen given the current HW roster unless its someone like a 25 year old Struve who already has 13 UFC fights and is getting better with each fight (Hunto mashing his face notwithstanding) but his recent medical condition discovery is very bad news, plus I just don't think he ever gets quite to the point of challenging a JDS.

I think a dominant newcomer must be somewhere in the pipe in order for this cluster**** to ever clear.

People booing a class act like JDS are enormous faggots. I support economic nationalism but that's about it. Those people are retarded.

While I would almost never boo fighters, for lack of action or for national pride, those people in Brazilian crowds are animals. They boo all American fighters, no matter what. They seem so hot blooded and angry. Reporters were jolting Chael with low level cattle prod pens o his last visit. They are insane. Americans have less pride about being American than most other countries. The Brazilians all say they are fighting for country, Roberto Duran on that 30 for 30 said he was fighting for Panama, etc.

That being said, Brazilian women seem fun

That is such a ridiculous post.

They do that on every single UFC card that isn't in Vegas. In Canada they will go nuts for the Canadians and boo the opponents, in Milwaukee they will go nuts for Pettis and boo Henderson, when they are in Boston they root for Boston fighters and boo everyone else, you get my point... people root for locals and boo everyone else. But Brazilians are animals because they root for Brazilians, yell louder, and root loudly against Americans when they are fighting a Brazilian. Basically all this points to Brazil having more passionate fans, this doesn't make them animals.

And Chael is the only fighter in the UFC that Brazil hates, and if you don't know the reason for that then you must not follow the UFC at all.

I think you're wrong. I may have overstated some, but in my experience, that's what I've witnessed. And no, I would say I know as much about the fighters as anyone on here or that I know. I don't bet, but I know the sport well.

The Brazilians are rabid. Canadians are prideful, yes, but not rabid. Americans seem ambivalent in comparison. Just my opinion

And I'm gerenalizing but by no means want to paint all fans with the same brush.

And you're comparing pride in a city vs pride in a country. I think it's different. Is GSP a huge star in brazil or would they insta-boo him if he fought a Brazilian again?

I seriously doubt no matter what someone said against the US, his safety would be in danger at a fight in the US.

Again, just my observations. They could be wrong.

In defense of Brazil, MMA is proportionally more popular there than probably any other country, for very obvious reasons. It basically began there, they have a ton of fighters...

The reason there are so many Canadians in the NHL isn't because Canada has innate genetic talents. It's because Hockey is HUGELY emphasized there and as a result a lot more likely to introduce the sport to whoever the the third-sigma outlier is that has the right skill-set to dominate it. Wayne Gretzky was a decent enough athlete but if he had been born in Georgia, it's just as likely he would've wound up a certified public accountant.

Brazil is such an interesting plate, a total genetic dumpster, which results in outlying haplotypic incidents. The United States has a similar thing working for us in that any given 'American' is going to be a total genetic mule, which can lead to interesting things.

Evolutionary genetics is a *fascinating* practice, somewhat hamstrumg by egalatarian idealism but mostly confirming a lot of stereotypes. Scandanavians aren't more likely to be tall because of 'statistical genetic variance'. It's in their DNA. How that DNA arrived at today is what Darwin talked about. When you start rampantly conflating genes from different groups, you get incredibly odd shit. I don't understand what the **** he even is...

antonio_silva_3_medium.jpg

.... but there's no doubt where he comes from.

Take a country with huge genetic diversity and give them a favored sport, they're probably going to produce more performance outliers in a given control group than the same number of Japanese or Irish (because the Irish were too drunk to even show up for the test...).

As far as Brazilian fans, I believe they are misbehaved. Generally speaking, hardcore MMA fans are disgraceful monkeys and an embarassment to whatever city hosts them. I can't even what MMA fans are like in a country that, in spite of its recent economic progress, has deep roots in 3rd Worldism.