**official Mma Thread**

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

Yeah thats what it means, and i'm out $50. Cant take losing like that. If my guy lost by ko or got dominated, fine, but he won, I have to pay and still no boobs. Its why I never sports bet. Losing irritates me

Prediction: For future TUFs, whether it's depicted in the series or done covertly, weight cuts will not be 'left to fighter discretion' and quietly managed behind the scenes by UFC functionaries. Your fight at 205 is on Tuesday? "Weight Monitor Tom" will be over to the house on Saturday afternoon, you better be within 5 lbs. If not, your next three days are spoken for sitting in saunas, running in sweatsuits and taking salt baths. .

I think TUF in general has been an enormous letdown in terms of flushing out MMA talent.

The early seasons obviously had some fighters that went on to standouot careers but now that we're entering the first generation of MMA natives old enough to fight professionally, you'd expect to see bigger bad-asses on TUF but it's actually gotten consistently worse.

I think TUF in general has been an enormous letdown in terms of flushing out MMA talent.

The early seasons obviously had some fighters that went on to standouot careers but now that we're entering the first generation of MMA natives old enough to fight professionally, you'd expect to see bigger bad-asses on TUF but it's actually gotten consistently worse.

They keep on talking about this new generation of fighters coming up that train in everything like Rory MacDonald, but is this really going to happen? I know it is a regional thing, but I work with kids and I have never heard anyone talking about mma or anything like that. I hear about kids doing individual things like wrestling, karate, or Jiu Jitsu, but I've never heard of teenage kids training in everything. So I don't know where this so called new generation is coming from.

Speaking of Rory Macdonald, I have hated his last 2 fights. I feel like he can completely beat the shit out of anyone in that division but he won't because he has to follow his stupid pussy game plan

Id be really interested to hear the game plan from coaches at tristar. I wouldn't be surprised if it is just "don't fight at all until your opponent makes a mistake."

They keep on talking about this new generation of fighters coming up that train in everything like Rory MacDonald, but is this really going to happen? I know it is a regional thing, but I work with kids and I have never heard anyone talking about mma or anything like that. I hear about kids doing individual things like wrestling, karate, or Jiu Jitsu, but I've never heard of teenage kids training in everything. So I don't know where this so called new generation is coming from.

Speaking of Rory Macdonald, I have hated his last 2 fights. I feel like he can completely beat the shit out of anyone in that division but he won't because he has to follow his stupid pussy game plan

Is be really interested to hear the game plan from coaches at tristar. I wouldn't be surprised if it is just "don't fight at all until your opponent makes a mistake."

We have 20-24 year old kids who, in the year 2003, started in a MMA gym at age 10. It's still a growing thing but I must admit the first generation of MMA 'nativists' from North America don't seem to be super bad-asses. Maybe there is something to be said for that middling period in MMA history- post 'tough guy competition' but pre 'technical era' that we're presently in, where legitimate bad-assery was a huge X factor that drew people to the sport. They were drawn to MMA because their own innate desire to cave peoples faces in and in competing in MMA, that was their outlet to do that without receiving a prison term.

It would be very interesting if the native MMA generation turns out to be a huge bust, as a reflection of our broader, pussified cultural values. Expect to see more and more foriegn fighters from countries where combat sports are highly valued (Russia and the associated Crapistans, Brazil already speaks for itself, Mexico should be showing more...)

We have 20-24 year old kids who, in the year 2003, started in a MMA gym at age 10.

This is lol to me and it is something Joe Rogan says in every Ppv. I honestly haven't heard of any little kids training in mma and I live in an area with a few mma/Jiu Jitsu camps. 10 year olds in mma gyms is unheard of to me

This is lol to me and it is something Joe Rogan says in every Ppv. I honestly haven't heard of any little kids training in mma and I live in an area with a few mma/Jiu Jitsu camps. 10 year olds in mma gyms is unheard of to me

there are a few at my gym, not many tho.

They're definitely out there.

Pretty much every MMA gym around here has kids MMA. The only place I imagine you wouldn't see it would be in gyms with all 100% serious, pro-rostered fighters.

Maybe we're at the tippy-tippy leading edge of the tipping point of MMA natives and the current examples are still outlier. 20-24 year old MMA natives are still relatively uncommon but that will not be the case in another 5-10 years. I know the MMA gym by my house has a shitload of (Hispanic) kids.

Did anyone else watch that E:60 report on little kids fighting professional Muay Thai fights in the Philippines? Crazy

Those kids will be burnt out by 20. Baseball and basketball you can start young and become great. Combat sports and football, to an extent, just start the odometer, which isn't never great.

Paid my $50 today to the girl. She was happy. If GSP fights again, she'll bet again. I'd be nervous on that one though. I still believe in Hendricks but I think GSP would stay far away and jab for 5 rounds. Oh wait....ok, stay WAY far way and jab

We're just starting to understand that contact sports have some kind of neurological consequence. Shall be interesting to see what we learn about such sports as our capacity to understand the brain increases. It's still the last frontier of the human body where there are huge gaps of understanding. Brain researchers are apparently insanely aggressive about securing samples from certain desired control groups.

Within hours of Seau's death, Tyler Seau said he received calls from researchers hoping to secure his father's brain for study. The family ultimately chose the National Institutes of Health in Washington to oversee the research. Gina Seau said the family chose the NIH because it was a "complete, comprehensive, unbiased scientific institution of the highest level."

So within hours of a suicide, multiple agencies are calling the bereaved family trying to get at the corpses brain for study purposes? There's some heavy shit going on in that world.

Also, any woman who is willing to bet her tits is willing to **** you under ordinary circumstances. Massive fail if you don't close the deal on that one. Take her out for an ice cream immediately (Yes. Ice cream. Not coffee, not drinks. Ice cream.)

As I mature, I start to realize more and more that my parents generally know what they're talking about. They're wise. I expect that people feel much the same way about Ron: he always seemed just like some sort of goofball but as he starts to display his fifty-some odd years of wisdom, it becomes more clear. Ron has got shit figured out.

Digging kickboxing too.

Will probably make time to watch it.

Hope it generates enough interest to stick around.

Fertitta said that 2014 will have over 40 UFC Events, pulling back from 50'ish but that's still a fookload of cards.

Also mentioned 'groundbreaking ideas' on where fights will be airing.

Since FS1, FS2 and PPV are the standards, I guess this means what? The main broadcast Fox channel?

Dana White on Monday's meeting with Ben Askren:

"We're going to meet with Askren on Monday. We're just not going to sign him...

Dana makes no bones he doesn't like Askrens one dimensional style, Askren has no leverage ala Hector Lombard where the UFC has to buy him away from Bellator. Not a fan of wrestlers using high level wrestling to keep a fight from happening but there's part of me that wants to see him in the octagon. Then there's a part of me that understands Dana's position, that the worst case scenario is Askren successfully wrestle****s his way to the goddamn strap and they wind up with a boring ass WW champ who can't sell cards... but with 40+ events, the talent pool needs depth.

I hope they give him a chance, maybe a two fight contract. Also, hopefully with 45 or 46 cards, they get some ****ing heavyweights in the mix. Although I did enjoy watching midget wrestling as a kid. Anyone else remember that? Midget wrestling? They'd have them from time to time in WWF.

167701.gif

Is there such thing as a professional circuit for Olympic caliber wrestlers like in Russia or something? It sucks that a lot of Olympians are the best at what they do, but nobody cares enough about a lot of the sports to make it mainstream. In Askren's case, he is the best at what he does, but mma just isn't the place for it, and it sucks because there could be money in it for him in the UFC that he wouldn't be able to get elsewhere. He is in the same spot as most Olympians who need to sacrifice a lot with training to be the best, and having to have another job to get by. Most swimmers retire in there early 20's because there just isn't any money in it unless you are winning 3-4 golds per Olympics. I know an Olympic caliber triathlete who can hardly pay his rent, sponsors just give them enough money to train and that's it. One of his training partners is a former Olympian from New Zealand, and the guy stole a pace clock out of my car because he couldn't afford one. And apparently he is a celebrity in New Zealand. So basically what I'm trying to say is that Askren deserves to be paid money by someone because he is great, but I don't blame Dana White because the UFC isn't the place for his skill.

Meh, be good at something you can monetize or get a job. Thats it. The market bears this shit out. Nobody wants to watch high level wrestling, its why the olympics cut it, I think

$280 on Maynard straight @ -140 (by decision is offered at only -105, which shows how confident the line is in how this one will go. I'll happily give -35 to take 'decision and everything else too ' but I agree with that line).

$10 on Peggy Morgan @ +190. Phere is no actionable insight in girlfights unless you know their menstrual calendar.

There may be value in Corissani but I'm betting that cash on Maynard wrestle****-decisioning Diaz who will try and fail to BJJ him.