**official Mma Thread**

Vanderlei Silva is one person that the UFC audience has really gotten behind. But if you compare Vanderlei Silva's popularity with Anderson Silva's popularity amongst the general public it wouldn't even be close. Ortiz was never an exciting fighter, but he talked a good game. As far as talent goes, Machida is on a different level.A lot of people who go to UFC events don't know a ton about MMA.
Silva and Chuck Fight has been in the making for years long before the "MMA Boom".Ortiz does talk alot and the hype of Ortiz through the beginning of MMA had alot to do with this. Machida showed up late on the scene and wasnt well known. What got Ortiz as the favorite was the las Chuck/Tito fight during the "MMA Boom" and all the press that was behind it and that was when Chuck was title holder and the franchise guy. Will Machida ever be at that level maybe, but for now he will have to wait for his time.Alot of people who go to UFC events dont know a ton about MMA thats why marketing and exposure is key. And thats why Machida and Anderson Silva arent household names there has not been much Explosion in Marketing for anyone really except Chuck, Rampage, Vanderlei, Shogun, Matt Hughes, and now they are working on Forrest, and Penn. The 205 is their money and they have always favorited this weight class. But with all the changes in titleholders I think that they need to exploit all weight classes equally!
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

So I'm starting to do some early anaalysis of the next UFC.I honestly don't see how GSP can lose. Everything that Fitch does, GSP does better. I guess my only question is GSP's chin. But BJ Penn certainly has heavier hands than Matt Sera, so that had to have been a fluke. It's MMA and anything can happen, but I have no clue how Fitch wins this one.Lesnar Vs. Herring is an intersting fight. I think there is some value in Herring. I would like to see the fight with O'Brien and Herring though. I don't think I've seen that. If Ihave, I don't remember. I know that Herring lost, and that worries me because O'Brien is a wrestler. Florien Vs. Huerta. I actually think that Huerta is a slight favorite. This fight will come down to who wants it more.

So is it true Silva vs Cote will be added in the October card with Leben vs Bisbing? This would be awesome.Edit: Also this video is Ridic, Andre Galvao is is a really sick BJJ guy, this is a video of him getting pissed off at the 2008 worlds and just straight up humiliating a black belt :http://www.grapplemonkey.com/2008/06/10/an...in-2008-worlds/

So is it true Silva vs Cote will be added in the October card with Leben vs Bisbing? This would be awesome.Edit: Also this video is Ridic, Andre Galvao is is a really sick BJJ guy, this is a video of him getting pissed off at the 2008 worlds and just straight up humiliating a black belt :http://www.grapplemonkey.com/2008/06/10/an...in-2008-worlds/
I'm hearing Silva/Cote will likely be added to the UFC 88 card.Yeah Galvao is sick. The other guy went for an illegal submission and it pissed him off. The guy was so discouraged, he more or less just gave up.
Wow, could you imagine if something like that happened in the UFC? I think the crowd would go nuts. He's just spinning on that guys back and doing somersaults and getting into a mount position. Bizarre to say the least.
Wow, could you imagine if something like that happened in the UFC? I think the crowd would go nuts. He's just spinning on that guys back and doing somersaults and getting into a mount position. Bizarre to say the least.
there was a guy on our wrestling team in high school that was just so much better than anybody else in the district. when he wrestled anybody, he basically had to do the same thing since there wasn't any competition in it. most of the times he'd just do a move of some sort, take the guy down, get some back points, and let him back up. I always felt bad for the other guy. (probably because I sucked and could empathize.)
That was awesome, why has nobody tried that in a fight? Automatic round winnar! (sw)
I'm hearing Silva/Cote will likely be added to the UFC 88 card.
Same. What a sick card that'll be.Chuck/RashadSilva/CoteHendo/PalharesFranklin/HammilParisyan/Yoshida
I will use the Parisyan fight to go fix a snack.
Wow, that's pretty shocking. That could be one of the best fights by far. Parisyan is a very talented fighter. I don't care for his personality all that much, but I think he is truly talented.
Wow, that's pretty shocking. That could be one of the best fights by far. Parisyan is a very talented fighter. I don't care for his personality all that much, but I think he is truly talented.
I find the judo fighters to be the least entertaining of all the disciplines. You have two great judo fighters here. Could be a snoozefest imo but I will probally be wrong.

The prospect of A Silva v Machida makes me feel wet, if anyone hasn't mentioned this potential matchup... in the distant future i guess. now that would be a fricken title fight.

The prospect of A Silva v Machida makes me feel wet, if anyone hasn't mentioned this potential matchup... in the distant future i guess. now that would be a fricken title fight.
They both train at Black House and won't fight each other. Silva has said the reason he doesn't want to go for the 205 belt is because of Lyoto and a potential match up.
I scanned the last few pages and didnt see anything related to this so sorry if it has been covered.How the hell was the Hermes Franca fight the fight of the night?
It was a forgetable night.Which fight would you pick?
It was a forgetable night.Which fight would you pick?
Well I look at it like this if individual fight replays for the night were say $3.99 and I had a $3.99 credit and had to use it on one of the fights I wouldnt use it on this fight. I rather watch the Markham fight or even the Silva/Irvin fight (even how short it was). The Franca fight was boring all the way through except the last few seconds when Edgar almost got KO and held on for the win. Just those few seconds I dont think constitute a fight of the night bonus.Edit: Dont get me wrong Edgar did follow his game plan perfect however the score cards were WAY in his favorite and I think a fight of the night should have been something that took the fans out of their seats. This fight did not.
it had a bit of back and forth feel to it. MaybeI was surprised by Edgar after seeing him against Maynard.
Yeah me too, but Franca looked flat and was not in shape Cardio wise.. Probably alot to do with the roids and has to rebuild his foundation so much he didnt focus on the cardio. Franca on roids or at or near the level he was at on roids Edgar would have been destroyed.
Yeah me too, but Franca looked flat and was not in shape Cardio wise.. Probably alot to do with the roids and has to rebuild his foundation so much he didnt focus on the cardio. Franca on roids or at or near the level he was at on roids Edgar would have been destroyed.
Honestly I thought the fight was going to be a lot closer. Roid or no roids, I can't believe how inactive Franca was off his back. I've really been impressed by Griffen and Edgar. Both of them have pretty good stand up and excellent submission defense. The wrestling they use as a base works incredibly well in MMA. I'd like to see either one of them fight Sean Sherk. But sadly I don't think that will happen. A fight like that moves someone closer to the belt. And if Sherk wins, he brings nothing to the table for BJ.
I put the rest of my sad roll on Nick Thompson, at +250, over Jake Shields.
I like the price that you got a lot. However I think that Shields wins this fight. It could be a close fight where it appears that it should be right around even money. But at the end of the day, Shields is the better fighter imo.

According to nbcsports.com:Anthony Johnson suffered a controversial TKO loss to Kevin Burns at last weekend’s UFC event, but his camp fully plans to appeal. Johnson appeared to be winning the fight in the third round when Burns caught him with fingers to the eye during an exchange.Johnson immediately fell down, and although Burns hesitated, the referee apparently didn't see the illegal strike, and Burns followed up on the ground for a TKO.NBCSports.com spoke with his agent, Ken Pavia, who said an appeal is imminent.“I think we’ve found some persuasive evidence for an appeal,” he said. “Initially, we were told there’s not a provision that would empower [the Nevada State Athletic Commission] to overturn the decision, but we think we found some evidence to the contrary.”Pavia said he expects to file the protest within a week.

So elitexc is on cbs tonight again, with the Lawler vs Smith rematch. Their first fight had a lot of potential and they were both looking good, I'm excited to see if it'll be the same. EliteXC has a lot of pressure on them since their last prime time card was a joke, hopefully this card is better. I think they should get Nick Diaz every time they have a live cable fight, but that's just me.