new hand names, your names!!!!

This is what I got from a very smart, very geeky guy I know. He's a programer so I'm pretty confident in what he says, and here it is.my geek: 1010 would be.. well.. ok, 1, 10, 11, 100, 101, 110, 111, 0001, 0010, 0100, 1000, 1001, 1010My geek: 12My geek: and 10 would be 1000so thats what I got, still not sure what I'm thinkin actually is since it isn't binary.
This all looks good until the 0001. Was your friend drunk at the time? ;-)Look at it this way. What he said here is like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, then you add the tens place, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, etc. Each time you add a new place, you cycle through all the possibilities in the previous places. But where does the 0001 come from? That's like counting 98, 99, 001, 002, 003 which is exactly what you're showing here (except with ...6, 7, 001, 002, 003, 8, 9, 10). Leading zeroes make no sense -- 001 is the same as 1, just like in decimal, 0093 is still 93. The correct progression is 1, 10, 11, 100, 101, 110, 111, 1000, 1001, 1010. Hence 1010 is ten. If you don't believe me, you can check any textbook written on the subject. Or maybe this handy link: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/b/binary.html which has a converter at the bottom. Watch out for other types of converters which convert characters into their ASCII code binary values -- those types of converters will give you very large binary strings and will also convert letters to binary. They are accurate, but are also talking about something different from what we're discussing here. An even more detailed discussion of binary (if you're up for a LOT of reading) can be found at Wikipedia, always an excellent source for general knowledge on a subject.
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pocket 10's.  My friends and i call them pocket binary.  It works in so many ways...1s and 0s are used in binary, and 1010 is the #10 in binary code.I thought it was coolWhen you turn them over tell people you have the "pocket binary."  It scares them into thinking you are some kind of math wizard.
If memory serves 1010 in binary would 101 and translate into 4. Binary goes something like 1,2,3,6,10, 17, 27, etc...I don't see how you would get ten out of 1010 when 00001 would be ten.I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
I know this has already been corrected, and I don't want this to sound like a flame -- but I am REALLY curious where you got the idea that this was how binary works, and why you doubted that you were wrong? As a binary/math/engineering/programming geek, I can assure you that you most definitely ARE wrong, but usually when somebody makes a mistake like this I can see some kind of mathematical reasoning behind the mistake -- in this case, it looks like a bunch of random numbers!If this was a joke, then it's a hilarious one (although too subtle for me, apparently). If it's not a joke, then sir, you have piqued my curiosity.
I actually messed up my numbers. Its been a long time since I've heard anything about binary.What I meant was the numbers were 1,2,4,7,12,20 and so on.If I'm wrong then I'm pretty sure there is another system that uses this, but I was taught that how this works is it goesn on like that to make any number.Examples:1=12=013= 114=0015=10110= 1101I did a little googling and could only find text to binary converters but when I typed in 10 it gave me something completey different then what either of us has said would be ten.I'm trying to get ahold of a couple math geeks I know but can't just to see what they have to say and if they know what system this is if its not binary.If you say 1010 is ten, please explain.
OK make this simple Go into Calculator on your computer, click on view scientifictype 10 in there and change the the type from dec to bin and it will show you that binary for the number 10 is 1010, which in an 8 bit PC technically it is 00001010 That is proof for you. I am a PC geek and live int he binary world.......

24off is the weaver with my austin friends because i continuously got that in the bb at tournaments everytime i was shortstacked... so i started pushing with it and showing it... or betting at boards with it.... represetnting stuff with my random hand of choice...if its suited its called the grandmother f u ck er... for reasons that will go unnamed here..haha

My buddies name is rat.In a NL holdem cash game he called an all in of around 100 or so dollars when the board was 7-7-3-3-4 with pocket 2s.After that disaster we now call 2s pocket rats.

• 2 years later...

I Scowered the internets for a few days to put this list together. It got rejected by Wikipedia, apparently you need sources:(But if I missed any please let me know!Part 1AA: Pocket Rockets; Bullets; American Airlines ; WMDs; Drinking Problem; Teepees; Snake Eyes; Alan Alda KK: Cowboys; King Kong; Ace Magnets; Gorillas; Kangaroos; Krispy KremeQQ: Ladies, Whores, Siegfried & Roy; 4 Tits; Dames; Divas; Hilton Sisters; Snow Shoes; Jailhouse RockJJ: Fishhooks; hooks; Jokers; J-Birds; Dy-no-mite!; Johnnies GentsTT: Dimes; Tension; Binary; Boxcars99: German Virgin; Barbara Feldon (Get Smart Agent 99); Phil Hellmuth; Wayne Gretzky; The Great One; Meat hooks; Popeye’s; Love Potion88: Snowmen; Doggie Balls; Piano Keys; Little Oldsmobile; Octopuses; Two Fat ladies; Double Infinitay; Back to the Future; 1.21 Jigowatts; Race Tracks; Wurlitzer77: Sunset Strip; Walking Sticks; Mullets; Hockey Sticks; Saturn66: Route 66; Cherries; Mario Lemieux; Mostly Evil; Kicks55: Speed Limit; Presto; Nickels44: Magnum; Sailboats; Canadian Presto; Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader(black); Dirty Harry; Midlife Crisis33: Crabs; Hooters22: Ducks; Quack Quack; Swans; Barely Legal AK: Big Slick; Santa Barbara; Anna Kournikova; AK-47; Walking Back to Houston; Good Day Suited: Big Slick in a Suit Off: Big Ugly AQ: Big Chick; Walking Back to Houston; Little Slick; Catch of the DayAJ: Ajax; Jackass ; Black Jack; Apple Jacks AT: Bookends; Johnny Moss; A-Team A9:Chris “the Jesus” FergusonA8: Dead Man’s hand A7:Slap Shot A6:Snekers A5:High Five A4:The Transvestite; Double Take; Tony’s Ride; Plane Crash A3:Baskin Robbins; Ashtrays A2:Hunting Season; Acey Ducey; Lil’ Slickyea it keeps going...

Starting Hand Nicknames (hole card names)Part 2KQ suited Marriage; Royal MarrageKQ offsuit Mixed MarriageKJ: Kojak; King John KJ off: The Bachelor; Pee Wee Herman KT: Katie; Big AlK9: Fido; Canine; What a Dog ; Saw Mill Suited: Pedigree Off: Mutt K8:Cocomo; Kate K7:Columbian River K6:Kicks K5:Seattle SpecialK3: Commander Crab; King Crab K2 suited:Big Fritz; Donald Duck K2 off:Donald Duck; MillenniumQJ: Maverick; Oepdipus Rex; QuackQT: Quint; Varkony; Q-Tip Q9:Quinine Q8:Kuwait; Desert StormQ7: Computer hand Q6:PB&J Q5:Granny MaeQ3: Gay Waiter; San Francisco Busboy (queen with a tray) Q2:Daisy Duck JT:Broadway J9:TJ Cloutier J8:Jeffrey Dahmer J6:Jack TalleyJ5: Motown; Jackson FiveJ4: Flat Tire (what’s a jack for?) J3:Triple Jack T9:Countdown T8:Golden Dan; Tetrus T6:Sweet (sixteen)T5: Woolworth's; Five and DimeT4: Broderick Crawford; Convoy; Good Buddy; Over and Out; Policeman’s Hand ; Roger That T3:Fast ConnectionT2: Texas Dolly; Doyle BrunsonOne More...

Starting Hand Nicknames (hole card names)Part 398: Oldsmobile96: Big Lick; Dinner for Two; Rail Road; Happy Meal; Good Lover Suited: Prom Night95: Dolly Parton ; Hard Working Man 94:Joe Montana Banana; San Francisco; Gold Rush 93:Jack Benny92: Montana Banana; Twiggy; Golf Bag 87:RPM 86:Henry Bowen 85:Finky Dink 84:Orwell 83:Raquel Welch; Sven 7T:split76: Union Oil; Trombones; Philadelphia 74:Cambodian Big Slick 72: Hammer; Beer Hand; Whip 72 suited: Velvet Hammer 65:Ken Warren 64: The Rabbit 63:Jimmy Summerfield; Blocky 62: Ainsworth; Cowboy Wolford 57: Heinz 53:Bully Johnson 52:Quarter; Two Bits45: Jessie James; Jane Russell; Moneymaker; Colt 45; Peace Maker 43: Waltz 42:The Answer; Lumberman’s hand39: Jack Benny38: Raquel Welch32:Mississippi Slick; Polish Big SlickThere it is poker fans, Hey if i missed one let me know!See ya at the tables!

3,3 "One time shooter!" It's a craps reference. I used to always yell "One time shooter!" whenever I'd bet on hard six at the craps table.Qh,9h "The Five Thousand Dollar hand." I took down my first $5,000 pot with Qh,9h.7s,8s "Easy Money." Once had a guy push $800 against me when I had a set of 6's on a board of Ax,6s,2x and it came running spades and he yelled "Easy Money!" when he flipped over his hand.4,4 "99%" I lost a huge pot when I was a 99% favorite with this hand.

Pocket 8's are Mooookie