The Ultimate Poker Player

Any sports fan has heard numerous things like this before. For example, the ultimate basketball player, Magic Johnsons awareness, Michael Jordans cutthroat clutch mentality, Larry Birds touch, etc. etc.But relating that to poker, what would the cyborg card runner shape up like?Preflop Awareness - John Juanda (maybe even hands down)X-ray reading ability - Antonio EsfandiariTable Image - Johnny ChanOverall Instincts - Stu UngarPostflop Awareness - Phil Hellmuth Jr.Adaptation to any situation - Daniel NegreanuClutch performance - Daniel Negreanu

Any sports fan has heard numerous things like this before. For example, the ultimate basketball player, Magic Johnsons awareness, Michael Jordans cutthroat clutch mentality, Larry Birds touch, etc. etc.But relating that to poker, what would the cyborg card runner shape up like?Preflop Awareness - Phil IveyX-ray reading ability - Phil IveyTable Image - Phil IveyOverall Instincts - Phil IveyPostflop Awareness - Phil IveyAdaptation to any situation -Phil IveyClutch performance - Phil Ivey
FYP, j/s
Any sports fan has heard numerous things like this before. For example, the ultimate basketball player, Magic Johnsons awareness, Michael Jordans cutthroat clutch mentality, Larry Birds touch, etc. etc.But relating that to poker, what would the cyborg card runner shape up like?Preflop Awareness - John Juanda (maybe even hands down)X-ray reading ability - Antonio EsfandiariTable Image - Johnny ChanOverall Instincts - Stu UngarPostflop Awareness - Phil Hellmuth Jr.Adaptation to any situation - Phil IveyClutch performance - Stu Ungar
a couple FYPs

Can I please get an explanation of how a poker player can be "clutch?" and what makes certain players more "clutch" than others??????I submit that there is no such thing as "clutch" in poker....

Can I please get an explanation of how a poker player can be "clutch?" and what makes certain players more "clutch" than others??????I submit that there is no such thing as "clutch" in poker....
QFT
Any sports fan has heard numerous things like this before. For example, the ultimate basketball player, Magic Johnsons awareness, Michael Jordans cutthroat clutch mentality, Larry Birds touch, etc. etc.But relating that to poker, what would the cyborg card runner shape up like?Preflop Awareness - John Juanda (maybe even hands down)X-ray reading ability - Antonio EsfandiariTable Image - Johnny ChanOverall Instincts - Stu UngarPostflop Awareness - Phil Hellmuth Jr.Adaptation to any situation - Daniel NegreanuClutch performance - Daniel Negreanu
i dunno how you dont have doyle or ivey up here

Clutch is an undescribable entity. You think Michael Jordan practiced anymore then the next kid? It's something buried within, that when the situation is there, success is the only out.Please show me someone that has a better tournament stat sheet over the last 10 years. That's what clutch is. so yes a poker player can be clutch, and Daniel is CLUTCH! This is just an assumption, correct me if I'm wrong. But Daniel doesnt finish 10th, 8th, 4th, etc., very often. If he's in a position to win, I believe he's won more then anyone else(over the same timespan) How many times do you see Daniel blow a gasket? I cant name a single time. He can be heads-up for a title and a 4-1 chip dog, and he still adapts himself to win.And I dont have Ivey or Brunson up there because I dont think they're great at any one particular attribute. Just all around strength in all aspects. For instance, I think Ivey is really weak in clutch situation. He's like the Buffalo Bills of the poker world. He has won, he's young, he will win many more, but he'll have just as many 2nds, 3rds. Not a bad thing, it's just attribute for attribute I dont feel Ivey does something over and beyond anybody else.

There definitely is such a thing as "clutch" in poker. It's just playing your best in high pressure situations. for example, Steve Lazaar (sp) would be the oppostie of "clutch" due to his final table blowup at the 2005 WSOP ME.
No Ivey or Brunson? Shouldn't Esfandiari be listed for chip tricks instead?

X-ray reading ability - Chris MoneymakerTable Image - Freddy DeebOverall Instincts - Robert VarkonyiTilt control - Phil Hellmuth Jr.Aggressiveness - Dan HarringtonBankroll Management - Mike MatusowTable Banter - Huck SeedIntimidation Factor - Steve DannenmanNow that would be a fearsome player.

Clutch is an undescribable entity. You think Michael Jordan practiced anymore then the next kid? It's something buried within, that when the situation is there, success is the only out.And I dont have Ivey or Brunson up there because I dont think they're great at any one particular attribute. Just all around strength in all aspects. For instance, I think Ivey is really weak in clutch situation. He's like the Buffalo Bills of the poker world. He has won, he's young, he will win many more, but he'll have just as many 2nds, 3rds. Not a bad thing, it's just attribute for attribute I dont feel Ivey does something over and beyond anybody else.
Are we talking about the same person here? This can't be possible. Man alive,posted for the 90,000th time on FCP <---------- CLUTCHThis is just one play. You're right, Ivey is good at everything, but you are so wrong in arguing that there aren't easily identifiable qualitites that make him (one of) the best. Please go check out the Hendon Mob website for further clarification.EDIT AND FOCUS: I should have put this before the flame.All the ladies love Scotty Nguyen. As such, he has the best table image, hands down.
X-ray reading ability - Chris MoneymakerTable Image - Freddy DeebOverall Instincts - Robert VarkonyiTilt control - Phil Hellmuth Jr.Aggressiveness - Dan HarringtonBankroll Management - Mike MatusowTable Banter - Huck SeedIntimidation Factor - Steve DannenmanNow that would be a fearsome player.
:club::D:D
I like your list in general but would add a few more attributes.Unreadability- Chris FergusonAnti-tilt factor- Phil IveyIntimidating stare- Phil IveyAll out Aggression- this one is key but tough to fill in possibilities include: Ivey, Mizrachi (sp), Brunson
Funny, but I don't think Harrington has ever shown a lack of aggression. Tight yes, passive NO. And I think Freddy Deeb does alright for himself. He is very loose, but I don't think he has a bad "table image".Try Shawn Sheikan for aggressiveness and Aaron Kanter/Tiffany Williamson for Table Image.
I like your list in general but would add a few more attributes.Unreadability- Chris FergusonAnti-tilt factor- Phil IveyIntimidating stare- Phil IveyAll out Aggression- this one is key but tough to fill in possibilities include: Ivey, Mizrachi (sp), Brunson
All out aggression has to be Gus Hansen:Phil Hellmuth - "Having two players lose more than $75,000 apiece at any point during a $400-$800 game normally would be unthinkable. But then you have to factor in the 'Gus effect.'"
Clutch is an undescribable entity. You think Michael Jordan practiced anymore then the next kid?
actually yes he did practice more than anyone.
gotta give card tricks to Jesus
fyp
Robert Varkony??Please tell me you were kidding.
:club:

Ermm ted forrest, Chip reese, erik siedel, Chau Giang, Tod brunson, and Barry Greenstein come to mind as well