I Called In Sick Today

my friend's friend, who is somewhat like a middle management guy, has me slated to write the logic for their portfolio rebalancing system. basically, it's trying to avoid paying capital gains when they do a rebalance, but some of the positions that get partially sold off are not big enough to process a subsequent buy (like, it did a tiny sell in a roth, or whatever). along side this, the department boss has me training on scanning, naming, and electronically filing documents for the financial planners.

it's an interesting mix of responsibilities.

the ayco HR person is in full apology mode. my reference was furious with them over not following through, so suddenly she's flexible. I guess I'm doing the phone screen with them on friday, but there's not much hope that I'll have time in my schedule to step away to even skype, let alone drive or fly out. people just don't get time off in their first 90 days unless it was arranged prior to being hired, apparently.

I bought a comforter/sheet set in a bag at target for $22 tonight which was pretty good value, I thought.

As is often the norm with your posts, I am confused. Is the HR person that wasn't flexible that now is for the job in Albany or is there a third wheel in your current job hopping scheme?

Made friends with some dudes at the bar. Getting drunker than I planned. This is what happens when you go out on a tuesday Suited. Strange men buy you shots.

More action than SA has had since 2011.

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Seriously, get that memory foam pillow me and Tilty got. It's great and like $35.

Man I tell you what, that was one of the best purchases I've made. I absolutely love this pillow. Took a little bit to get used to it being thicker/taller than pillows I was used to but my everyday neck and shoulder pain has been non existent since getting this pillow. I will never own a lesser pillow again.

As is often the norm with your posts, I am confused. Is the HR person that wasn't flexible that now is for the job in Albany or is there a third wheel in your current job hopping scheme?

ayco is albany; there is no third wheel. I am constantly on the fence about whether I want to stay here in louisville, or what. the way this firm compensates advisers is pretty straightforward. it costs $x to have my company managing your assets, and the company takes .4x, the adviser figures out how to parcel out .6x with his/her team. pretty awesome if you're directly involved with clients in some way, but not so easy to get a piece of people's action if you're doing stuff that makes everyone else better (and thus, nobody wants to individually step up to pay you).

so like, the rebalancing project I described above, that group doesn't have a partner to speak up in those meetings, and their revenue stream is based on razor thin ETF commissions. so realistically I'm just depending really really heavily on my base salary, which is actually lower than where I was with my old company (and not OT eligible).

it's hard to say if the understanding I described above is accurate, because I've only been there a few days. and who knows, it's a tiny company, maybe they will recognize how important I could be to bridging the gap from small to medium. if I stay, and I get involved in the right areas, I'll be at $100k+ within 6-7 years. but if I'm wrong, I'll be even further behind the curve relative to everyone else in my generation, maybe making 50 in 3-4 years... which is what ayco could potentially offer me now.

Napa, get the burger, ask for it medium rare, with onion rings. Eat all of it, silently reject the pissy ass straight from CostCo cole slaw that was slopped into a dish.

IE, are you making all the decisions on the money and potential earnings? Does setting (either workplace or city) play?

Mushroom and swiss (or pepperjack if I can sweet talk the waitress) is probably my favorite burger. Onion rings would just be gravy. I don't drink soda though, unless it's mixed with alcohol. Weird, I know. I just can't bring myself to drink a can of soda by itself. I occasionally have nightmares where I do and I wake up all in a tizzy until I realize it was just a dream. I haven't had just a can of soda on its own for six years-ish now. I used to drink a 12 pack a day. #TheStruggle

• Like 2

IE, are you making all the decisions on the money and potential earnings? Does setting (either workplace or city) play?

I feel I am so late to the party that I have to be thinking mostly in terms of money. yes, it may sound ridiculous to be talking this way, but 'dream job' is a luxury reserved for someone who made better choices leading up to age 28.

I don't know how there's a decision here. Sounds to me like if the Albany job came through with an offer you need to jump. Immediately. A bird in the hand is a hell of a lot better than hopes and dreams for 6 - 7 years down the road. Because often times the road ends, comes to a T or just flat out disappears before you reach your intended destination. Always bet on the money line, not the come.

I don't know how there's a decision here. Sounds to me like if the Albany job came through with an offer you need to jump. Immediately. A bird in the hand is a hell of a lot better than hopes and dreams for 6 - 7 years down the road. Because often times the road ends, comes to a T or just flat out disappears before you reach your intended destination. Always bet on the money line, not the come.

fully agree. we will see if the logistics can be made to work. I will email this moron at ayco tomorrow morning and see what happens. the referrer obviously likes me based on my credentials, just gotta be that person on the phone and eventually find time to do it in front of a camera.

• Like 1

I feel I am so late to the party that I have to be thinking mostly in terms of money. yes, it may sound ridiculous to be talking this way, but 'dream job' is a luxury reserved for someone who made better choices leading up to age 28.

What's the yearly dollar amount you're trying to hit?

I'm thinking about relocating--I just booked an April Midwest trip. It's been six months since I saw my aging relatives and I like to keep my eye on them. If I move, I should do it within the next year or two. I will need time to rebuild my professional and personal networks--and all of that is easier when you're younger. I need to pick a city in a certain radius of said relatives. I'm also city-driven. I have no kids, no debt, and no urge to own a house with yard, etc. I do want to live in at least a mid sized city, in a walkable neighborhood. Knowing what I like to do, the places I go, it'll probably be a gay-borhood.

If I stay west coast, I need to make a travel budget.

Really digging Sherlock. Thanks for the reco, SA.

BBC is great.

my roommate just quoted billy ocean and didn't know it. he's looking at some chick on Facebook and is like GIRL GET OUT OF MY DREAMS AND INTO MY CAR and i'm like thats so old school and awesome, you gotta love that song. he's like what song, thats from i love you man. and i'm like holy shit dude listen to this.

In absentsia, Ron Mexico wants me to ask you if your roommate's not yet girl has any friends for you.

Also, please don't post that Kansas gif anymore. I can't stop watching it, and I could easily slide from staring at the gif for six weeks to getting totally invested in the tournament.

• Like 1

we were out one time and one of the roommates girlfriends friends asked her to set her up with a single guy. she said austin is single. not him.

i was sitting right there and heard them whispering though i pretended not to. this girl had just met me a few minutes before, so it was all on appearance. she didn't even know i have a bad personality too.

which hoodie sweatshirt and cargo shorts combo were you wearing?

it was this winter so i was wearing jeans. pretty sure i was wearing my tommie navy jacket, which is my best casual jacket. no hoodie.

and another thing, i've never owned nor wore a pair of cargo shorts in my entire life. all my shorts are j crew and thats that.