I Called In Sick Today

simpsons_cat_lady.jpg
Yes.Hey Cane,Hip hop weekend at South Beach. What's that all about?(Don't say hip hop.)How did the name "hip hop" come about? Should there be a hyphen in there? These last two questions don't have to be answered by just Cane.
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I really have no idea
Sounds good to me. Case closed.So, you're a guitar man, right? I find the way that Pot Odds talks about his guitars to be a little creepy.
I'm going in August. Not to avoid you or anything, it's just that I already booked everything for August. My route is San Diego > San Luis Obispo > Monterey > ??? > San Francisco > Portland > Seattle
I was born in San Luis Obispo, lived there until I was 8 and then moved to the Monterey Bay area. I lived in Pacific Grove, Salinas and Monterey. When I was in high school we would cut school to go to San Francisco, sometimes. It's my favorite American city. My trip this year will include SLO, Anaheim (kids to Disney and Knott's Berry Farm), Monterey, Sacramento (one of my best friends lives there) and if it works out, a night in San Francisco at a club I enjoy very much. If you have a chance to see Yosemite, I highly recommend it, btw. Also, from SLO to Monterey, drive up Highway 1. If you stop to eat on this route, and you don't mind spending a little, do Rocky Point, or Nepenthe (Rocky Point is my favorite restaurant) and if it's a nice day, sit outside and watch the waves crash onto the rocks. Damn, I miss the sea.
Not true. She's pretty ridiculously attractive and will have a British accent? I'd say the odds of her getting at least raped are 50/50. Dark alley, her walking down the street, no ones watching? I'm raping that 100% of the time.The best thing about America is that in our country, rape is legal and considered to be a game.
I had about 5 or 6 responses written out to this post, but none of them would do it justice, so I just stopped trying.
Ha.1. I am looking forward to getting a job and feeling like I have a productive and meaningful life. I've worked fulltime before, it won't be a shock for me.2. I have several months of complete freedom to look forward to, with no essays or exams to make me feel guilty for doing what I want to do.3. Nothing wrong with getting older, it just gets me closer to what I ultimately want in life.4. Thanks to the (previous) government my student loans have a low interest rate and I don't have to start paying them until I am earning £15k a year, so no worries yet.5. I'll be amongst the best qualified and most experienced for most entry level jobs, so I fancy my chances even in this economy.6. Haven't you read the Boltanski quote in my signature? I realised that years ago and I embrace it. Life could be a lot worse for me. I think my life is going to be pretty awesome, at least up until the point where I get raped and murdered on my trip to America this summer.
This post was seriously awesome.
Hey Cane,Hip hop weekend at South Beach. What's that all about?(Don't say hip hop.)How did the name "hip hop" come about? Should there be a hyphen in there? These last two questions don't have to be answered by just Cane.
Let's just say that a large amount of African-Americans descend on South Beach and kind of own the place for the weekend (there are also a bunch of events just for black gay dudes.....Miami is a weird place). It's sponsored by BET and they have free concerts and such. I have heard it compared to NBA All Star Weekend.....just club after club filled with black dudes, wiggers, and girls who look like they just got done shooting a rap video.The police stay on high alert all weekend and most non-black people just avoid Miami beach completely. It's pretty crazy. We had a pool party/BBQ at our place last Sunday.....I dont like going to the beach on any holiday weekend.....it's always nuts.....just Hip Hop weekend is crazier than the rest.Bottom line: it's a giant weekend long multi-block party on Ocean Drive geared towards black peopleQuick snapshot: Saturday at 3pm an impromptu dance contest broke out at the hotel down the street from us. You could see it from our balcony. Just a never ending train of black women getting up on some hastily put together stage, turning around, and jiggling their butts. Stereotypes are fun and sometimes true.

I dont know why anyone would go to Monterrey, California and not golf. It's the mecca of the golfing world. The 2nd and 4th best courses in the world are there. (Did you know the best golf course in the whole world is in central New Jersey!?!?!? Fun Fact!)I am in a good mood right now sorry for the exuberance. Why do you ask? Because I just got a job with a law firm that pays 90k/year! Starts in two weeks. Huzzah!End Bragging. (Sorry Strat)

Life could be a lot worse for me. I think my life is going to be pretty awesome, at least up until the point where I get raped and murdered on my trip to America this summer.
But I thought you were skipping L.A.
I dont know why anyone would go to Monterrey, California and not golf.
Maybe because someone doesn't dig golf. I'm going to do fun things instead, like go to the beach, eat In n Out food, and stay in seedy motels.
Maybe because someone doesn't dig golf. I'm going to do fun things instead, like go to the beach, eat In n Out food, and stay in seedy motels.
Monterrey is not a beach area....more of a beautiful Pacific cliffs landscape area. If you like a quaint town with some cute antique stores and some fufu wine and cheese restaurants than Monterrey will still be fun for you even sans golf. Also, 17 mile drive is about as scenic as a road can be. Monterrey also will not have seedy motels or an In N Out most likely. In n Out is amazing though.I think i am just jealous you are going to golf mecca.
Monterrey is not a beach area....more of a beautiful Pacific cliffs landscape area. If you like a quaint town with some cute antique stores and some fufu wine and cheese restaurants than Monterrey will still be fun for you even sans golf. Also, 17 mile drive is about as scenic as a road can be. Monterrey also will not have seedy motels or an In N Out most likely. In n Out is amazing though.I think i am just jealous you are going to golf mecca.
I am going to MONTEREY not MONTERREY please get with the program, canebrain. It will be the starting point of a one week roadtrip during which I will do all the aforementioned activities, and NO GOLFING. Unless it's crazy golf, naturally.
I am going to MONTEREY not MONTERREY please get with the program, canebrain. It will be the starting point of a one week roadtrip during which I will do all the aforementioned activities, and NO GOLFING. Unless it's crazy golf, naturally.
Oh. Well, don't I look silly. Carry on.Thanks, JJJ.
leading edge of human technology.
I think you mean cutting edge of world destroying technology
Pacific Grove
I was there this weekend.
Bottom line: it's a giant weekend long multi-block party on Ocean Drive geared towards black people
So does this happen now since Atlanta has banned Freak Nik?
I dont know why anyone would go to Monterrey, California and not golf. It's the mecca of the golfing world.
Well, technically Carmel. I was supposed to go to the US Open on Friday morning @ Pebble Beach and Golf Spanish Bay in the afternoon. That's been canceled and I am really bummed about it.
Monterrey is not a beach area....
Pacific Grove and Santa Cruz are though and they basically surround Monterey. We went to this small little alcove just at the start of 17 mile drive on Monday and let the kids splash in the really cold water. It was really fun, but the sand is very coarse, it's more like small pebbles than sa....ohhhh, now I get where they got the name from.
I dont know why anyone would go to Monterrey, California and not golf. It's the mecca of the golfing world. The 2nd and 4th best courses in the world are there. (Did you know the best golf course in the whole world is in central New Jersey!?!?!? Fun Fact!)I am in a good mood right now sorry for the exuberance. Why do you ask? Because I just got a job with a law firm that pays 90k/year! Starts in two weeks. Huzzah!End Bragging. (Sorry Strat)
Congrats!
Plus, the aquarium.
The aquarium is amazing.
Thanks, LG. Have you read any Steinbeck?
I think you mean cutting edge of world destroying technologyI was there this weekend.So does this happen now since Atlanta has banned Freak Nik?Well, technically Carmel. I was supposed to go to the US Open on Friday morning @ Pebble Beach and Golf Spanish Bay in the afternoon. That's been canceled and I am really bummed about it.Pacific Grove and Santa Cruz are though and they basically surround Monterey. We went to this small little alcove just at the start of 17 mile drive on Monday and let the kids splash in the really cold water. It was really fun, but the sand is very coarse, it's more like small pebbles than sa....ohhhh, now I get where they got the name from.
That sucks about Spanish Bay. I played there and was paired with Vin Scully of all people. Very cool experience.....super nice guy. It is also a very fun course to play (easiest of the 3 Pebble courses) and the restaurant at the Spanish Bay clubhouse is a little known treasure (the lobster dumplings are incredible). I know there are beaches in that area but like you said the water is really cold. Not much fun.I do not know if Hip Hop weekend started because Freak Nik was ended but they are very similar. It's been happening for at least four years now....since when I moved back to Miami for law school.
I was there this weekend.Well, technically Carmel. I was supposed to go to the US Open on Friday morning @ Pebble Beach and Golf Spanish Bay in the afternoon. That's been canceled and I am really bummed about it.Pacific Grove and Santa Cruz are though and they basically surround Monterey. We went to this small little alcove just at the start of 17 mile drive on Monday and let the kids splash in the really cold water. It was really fun, but the sand is very coarse, it's more like small pebbles than sa....ohhhh, now I get where they got the name from.
I'm sorry about your trip.I'm getting really homesick. I would love to be at Rocky Point right now drinking a Bloody Mary. I don't golf, either. I used to golf some little 9 hole courses in SLO with my grandpa when I was a kid. I don't have the knack.
Sounds good to me. Case closed.So, you're a guitar man, right? I find the way that Pot Odds talks about his guitars to be a little creepy.
I love playing and I do like collecting guitars but I can honestly say I never named them. But I do know a lot of people who talk about their guitars like Pot Odds does so it no longer creeps me out.
Have you read any Steinbeck?
Just Grapes, Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday. Probably will take along another to read on the way, maybe the Pearl or Tortilla Flat.If you have any tips for me of things to do and see in SLO or elsewhere on my route please let me know, but maybe via PM so as not to disturb this riveting golf discussion. I am only in SLO for 3 nights and have pretty much planned what I want to do there already, unlike everywhere else on my trip. My idea is to arrive late afternoon on a Tuesday, due a day trip to San Simeon on the Wednesday, and on Thursday do the "Path of History" (self guided) walking tour and then check out the farmers market in the evening. Leave for Monty the next morning.
I think you mean cutting edge of world destroying technology
you know what this could mean to science? it could mean a lot. it could mean actual advances in the field of science.
!
Yeah, me and my friend and Vin Scully and his wife. He was such a great guy.....he did the "one time!" call when I knocked in a 30 foot putt. He was patient enough to pose for a couple pictures and sign my hat.On the first tee, he complimented our drives from the back tees and suggested we might not want to play with him and his wife because they would slow us up. His caddy goes: "I think they are going to want to play with you, sir." Still makes me chuckle 10 years later. That was one of the best trips of my life. We even got to play Cypress Pointe which NO ONE gets to play. It's considered to be harder to get on than Augusta. Best course I have ever played by far.....significantly better than Pebble which is only a mile away.

8 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 2 Anonymous Users)2 Members: Bearded in Absentia, mrdannygI'm hoping this is Wang.