Gsn High Stakes Poker (rant)

I think the whole thing with the hosts having heavy facial hair and this one unknown guy who looks quite sketchy don't help this show one bit. In concept this show is the best yet, getting into the most private and secluded areas of the poker world, but they screw it up a bit with all of this silly "its their own hard cash on the table!" gimmicks. I think you mention it once in the show and just let it go, and I also agree with Yoda on all counts. I think they need a real pro commentating this show because only they could really explain the ins and outs of the big games. It'd be even better if they rotated out and commentated on the game each day.

I believe that a bet doesn't become part of the pot until it is called. Uncalled bets are returned to better, then pot is awarded.Full Tilt does this. Many online sites for whatever reason don't. I can't stand it when you have two players all in one for 10K and one for 1K and you see a pot of 11K then when the hand is over the 8K is shipped back to loser and 2k to winner. Doesn't make sense.My biggest gripe with the commentary - other than some of it is inane - is when they talk over the table talk. Most of the viewers could care less about what AJ and Gabe have to say but want to hear every utterance from the player's lips. That would be me, anyway.

Yeah, ok...when you put the money in the pot..its not YOURS anymore...you have to WIN to get it back....hows it going with that fork, need some help?
The only problem with this arguement is that when DN bet $1,000,000 into a $50,000 pot against a guy who had $80,000 left he did not win a pot that was $1,000,000 under any circumstances.If they wanted to use your logic they could say he won a pot that was $210,000 since all he really bet was the guy's last $80,000 but they chose to make it look impressive for Ma and Pa who just finished watching the rerun of "Who Wants to be Regis's Organ Donor"

Best poker show out there IMHO. Gabe only annoys me when he tries to be funny. He's usually funny when he's just BSing around. When he was doing that hebrew stuff of what he thought Eli was thinking made me throw up on my newborn baby girl.I think I'd enjoy the show even more if it was totally unedited.

Gabe is the worst commentator of any sport I've ever had the misfortune to listen to.I don't understand how this guy isn't unemployed and living on the streets, he's truly terrible.I really wish they'd take away the commentators and just let us listen to the table talk, they always talk over the interesting conversations.

Gabe Kaplan MADE John Travolta. Without Gabe Travolta would just be another loser scientologist without the money to pay for indoctrination. Instead John is a spokesperson.Gabe may be the best there is..next to Lon McCaron and Norman Chad who are undoubtably the greatest announcers since the passing of Howard Cosell.Kiddie game is down the street boys

Gabe Kaplan MADE John Travolta. Without Gabe Travolta would just be another loser scientologist without the money to pay for indoctrination. Instead John is a spokesperson.Gabe may be the best there is..next to Lon McCaron and Norman Chad who are undoubtably the greatest announcers since the passing of Howard Cosell.Kiddie game is down the street boys
I was with you until then. Actually, I like Gabe a lot, and I think it was one of the better poker shows out there. Yeah, sometimes they talk over the players, and I think they sometimes miss some really interesting stuff. For instance, did anyone but me think that Doyle betting out of turn wsas fishy? You mean to tell me that Doyle dosen't pay attention or know what to do when that situation comes up?
I was with you until then. Actually, I like Gabe a lot, and I think it was one of the better poker shows out there. Yeah, sometimes they talk over the players, and I think they sometimes miss some really interesting stuff. For instance, did anyone but me think that Doyle betting out of turn wsas fishy? You mean to tell me that Doyle dosen't pay attention or know what to do when that situation comes up?
You mean you don't like Norman Chad?Or you don't agree about Cosell?Doyle was eating some odd looking yellow gunk on a hot dog bun, so he was a little distracted.I rewound that twice trying to figure out what he was eating, looked like an egg something, but he needed a knife to cut it. Very odd.
did anyone but me think that Doyle betting out of turn wsas fishy? You mean to tell me that Doyle dosen't pay attention or know what to do when that situation comes up?
Doyle bet out of turn because he was getting pissed about (I believe it was Eli Elezra) slowing up the game to steal some camera time. He was in essence telling him to shut the hell up and play poker without actually saying anything.
You mean you don't like Norman Chad?Or you don't agree about Cosell?Doyle was eating some odd looking yellow gunk on a hot dog bun, so he was a little distracted.I rewound that twice trying to figure out what he was eating, looked like an egg something, but he needed a knife to cut it. Very odd.
I think Coswell was a great announcer, very annoying but he knew sports. Norman Chad is terrible in my opinion. As far as Doyle, what makes me suspicious is that he acted like he didn't know what the rule was in that situation. Do ou think he has never sat at a table where that has happened before? Very odd.
As far as Doyle, what makes me suspicious is that he acted like he didn't know what the rule was in that situation. Do ou think he has never sat at a table where that has happened before? Very odd.
I think there is close to nothing that could happen that Doyle has not seen at a poker table before...But he isn't going to get confrontational - he may play dumb - but he made his point, and other players respect it.
I think there is close to nothing that could happen that Doyle has not seen at a poker table before...But he isn't going to get confrontational - he may play dumb - but he made his point, and other players respect it.
Respect - no kidding. I liked when he was in a hand and Eli, Daniel,etc were arguing amongst themselves, out of the hand. Doyle looked to his right, said quietly "Can you have that discussion after we play this hand?" . Instant silence.
Different poker rooms have different rules.And the situation was fairly uncommon, in that Doyle did not bet out of turn. He bet simultaneously.
I was playing SNGs while I watched my tivo version, and he didn't call. Eli bet 4000, and at the same time Doyle bet out 4500. From my shitty memory he was concentrating on the people to his left, not his right. Just sayin.
I was playing SNGs while I watched my tivo version, and he didn't call. Eli bet 4000, and at the same time Doyle bet out 4500. From my shitty memory he was concentrating on the people to his left, not his right. Just sayin.
My point is that he took a long time talking about his options. I think he was looking to pick up information from Eli. He knew he was going to play the hand, it was a question of call or raise. He took the extra time to get ELI to give an opinion, not that ELI was going to fall for that.I may be completely wrong here. But I think Doyle knew what his options were from the get go but was hoping the confusion would give him so information.

as to the question at hand, when you wager an amount that can be covered by an opponent still in the hand that money is no longer yours, you may get it back, assuming you win the hand, but from the moment the money is wagered until the pot is dragged one way or the other, the money in the pot belongs to everyone still in the hand.it may be annoying but technically the announcers are correct, although i dont disagree that pointing out the profit taken by each player dragging a pot would be a welcome addition.some comments on the show in general:i love it, man i want to sit down at that game and berate sheiky, what an annoying eff, no but seriously its a great glimpse into the world of these guys and gals. and i think it will be good for the game of poker if this ever makes it off the GSN network which no one watches, unfortunately. the announcing, i think gabe kaplan is a funny guy, not hilarious or anything but genuinely funny. i was watching the show with my dad whos not really a poker fan, i think he tolerates it to an extent and enjoys some of the aspects of the game but in no way is he a fanatic like myself and the rest of the forum, and he really enjoyed gabe kaplan, which is also a good thing for poker.sammy farha is grerat, funny as hell, i like the fact that some of these guys, well, i think most of these guys like eachothher, it really makes for good tv, somehow its almost more interesting to see these guy who take 100s of thousands of dollars off eachother get along so well, than to see the few disagreements and arguments, i mean is shaun sheikan a effing dick or what man what a c-sucker. i really want to punch that guy, absolutely no class. although i like his blackjack tip.big fan of daniel negranu's cash bombs, although the whole kissing the money thing, not so antibacterial.im trying to think of what exactly todd brunson said about shaun sheikan entering the game i believe it was something to the effect of,"shaun sheikan is an idiot, he has no business in this game" i was laughing my ass off.i like the show a lot, i hope they make more.oh yeah, god bless chris moneymaker

They definitely need to find someone other than AJ to host the show, but Kaplan is excellent. AJ's other extremely annoying statement he consistently makes is "and _____ takes down a pot of twenty thousand dollars in cash." Can you say redundant?

Ignore me if this has been said already...but I want to kick the announcers in the ear until they bleed to death. They need to learn a very important fact:If you bet $130,000 into a $20000 pot... YOU DID NOT JUST WIN $150000! You freaking mentally retarded %^#^%*'s. Every freaking time someone overbets a pot and takes it down they make it seem like they just took down this huge profit, when in reality all they did was risk a whole lot for (often) very little. I love watching this show, but I would love for AJ and Gabe to SHUT THE HELL UP! P.S. The intro song is the most uncatchy annoying thing i've ever heard - it makes me want to stab myself to death with a plastic fork.I'm done..._4LoM_
I agree with you 100%. And it irkes the **** out of me everytime that they do it! I know that they are trying to hype the whole "real cash money" aspect of it, but come one give us some kind of credit. I for one am impressed by a $24,000 pot. You don't have to exaggerate it to $150,000 for my benefit.

I agree. If you think about it.......... If 2 people are in a pot, and the pot is 50KEach person put in about 25K each - the blind. When a player bets 100k then he wins that hand, HE WON 25K! Not 50K Not 150K. In other words his stack went up by 25K.