building a library

Ive been playing online for almost a year and a half now. Im fortunate to have friends that have been playing longer than me and live locally that I can talk hand histories with. However, for the most part they choose not to read very many books. That being said I read quite a bit in comparison however it's gotten to the point where a trip to Barnes and Noble or a spin around Amazon, just has too many options. SO i ask you, the FCP family what books have you read and were they worth it?Currently I have(read/own):Small Stakes Hold Em by Miller Sklansky MalmuthTournament Poker by SklanskyHarrington in Hold em 1 by HarringtonProfessional Poker by Mark Blade(newest addition and quite good)Caro's Book of Tells by CaroWinning Low Limit by Lee JonesChampionship No and Pot limit hold em by CloutierSuper System 1 by Brunson(borrowed..I know I know)So rather than flaming me for being stupid ( I already know that believe me). Lemme Know what you have read and if it was worth it. Or especially what you have read and thought it was terrible.

I have read a number of poker books, each has helped my game in different ways to try and become more of a complete player.Super System 1 and 2Harrington on Hold Em Vol 1.Championship NL and Pot Limit Holdem by T.J. CloutierSmall Stakes Hold Em by Lee JonesPlay Like the Pros by Phil HelmuthPoker-The Real Deal by Phil Gordon and recently finished the Making of a Poker Player which is an interesting read of how Matt Matros went about learning the game and finished 3rd in the WPT Championship for $700,000.All of the above, although some much better than others have been good reads.One that I have read but definately don't recommend is Killer Online Poker by John Vorhaus. Unless you are completely new to online poker don't waste your time with this one.Books that I hope to read in the near future:Harrington on Hold Em Vol.2Theory of Poker by David SklanskyHold Em Poker for Advanced Players by David SklanskyMaking The Final Table by Eric LindgrenAce on the River by Barry Greenstein.I would be interested to know which one of these books you think I should start with? I was thinking Theory of Poker? Any other suggestions?

If you're looking for a great book on Poker, I highly recomend The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King, by Michael Craig. It's not a book on how to play poker, but rather an account of the biggest game ever played between a bunch of top professionals and a billionaire. No, it will not improve your game, but it' s a great read if you're at all interested.

Ive been playing online for almost a year and a half now. Im fortunate to have friends that have been playing longer than me and live locally that I can talk hand histories with. However, for the most part they choose not to read very many books. That being said I read quite a bit in comparison however it's gotten to the point where a trip to Barnes and Noble or a spin around Amazon, just has too many options. SO i ask you, the FCP family what books have you read and were they worth it?Currently I have(read/own):Small Stakes Hold Em by Miller Sklansky MalmuthTournament Poker by SklanskyHarrington in Hold em 1 by HarringtonProfessional Poker by Mark Blade(newest addition and quite good)Caro's Book of Tells by CaroWinning Low Limit by Lee JonesChampionship No and Pot limit hold em by CloutierSuper System 1 by Brunson(borrowed..I know I know)So rather than flaming me for being stupid ( I already know that believe me). Lemme Know what you have read and if it was worth it. Or especially what you have read and thought it was terrible.
We only flame retarded posts here, not well written posts by people sincerely seeking advice. Read Harrington on Holdem 2 by the way

Ive read play poker like the pro's im my opinion not complete bad helped me a bit, it was the first i read. Also read super system 2 and gained a lot from the limit holdem chapter in particular. Currently reading Championship Holdem, which i find to be decent however seems a little bit too tight for my liking, and doesn't seem to consider pot odds as much as super system 2 did.

OP.Get Barry's book, HOH 2 (2 is better than 1), and SS2, then your library will be pretty much complete until Daniel Negreanu's book is released--or if a few other articulate top tier pros like Chris Ferguson or Paul Phillips decide to write a poker book.Edit: I forgot to add Theory of Poker and--in fact--most everything 2+2 has published (e.g., Inside the Poker Mind, and Getting the Best of It--for the craft of gambling)

If you're looking for a great book on Poker, I highly recomend The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King, by Michael Craig. It's not a book on how to play poker, but rather an account of the biggest game ever played between a bunch of top professionals and a billionaire. No, it will not improve your game, but it' s a great read if you're at all interested.
That's a good book...an even better book for entertainment value is "One of Kind The rise and fall of Stuey 'the kid' Ungar..."

I like Internet Texas Hold 'em by Matthew Hilger a lot. I also like Weighing the Odds in Hold 'em Poker by King Yao and Poker Player's Bible by Lou Krieger. Phil Gordon's Little Green Book is worth picking up also.

Sklansky...The Theory of Poker.No TOP, no library of merit.
This was in my list of must reads so I just ordered it with my PSO points. Looking forward to getting it in the next couple of weeks.

I have barry's book, and I think it probably won't help novice players very much. It has great pictures and is certainly an interesting read, so you may want it in your library for those reasons.

Phil Hellmuth's Play Poker Like the Pros is a fairly good book. Recommended.
That was the first book I read. With the books he already has/read, I think it would be a step backwards. I think the book is geared towards beginners, and I also think there are some very questionable plays he recommends (i.e. three betting with low pocket pairs). Barry's book is good, and as it was said earlier, doesn't have a ton of strategy, but it talks a lot about the things many books don't talk about like Bankroll management, life as a poker player, etc.EDIT: I forgot to say to get SS2 also. Harman's section on Limit Hold 'em is top notch.
Phil Hellmuth's Play Poker Like the Pros is a fairly good book. Recommended.
That was the first book I read. With the books he already has/read, I think it would be a step backwards. I think the book is geared towards beginners, and I also think there are some very questionable plays he recommends (i.e. three betting with low pocket pairs). Barry's book is good, and as it was said earlier, doesn't have a ton of strategy, but it talks a lot about the things many books don't talk about like Bankroll management, life as a poker player, etc.EDIT: I forgot to say to get SS2 also. Harman's section on Limit Hold 'em is top notch.
I agree, it is a step back with what he already has read. It was my first book, and I would recommend it for someone just starting out. It is an easy read...

You definitely need to get HOH2. I think it was even better than the first one. I also liked Phil Gordon's "Litte Green Book". It has helped me a lot and it is worth a read. I plan on buying "Kill Phil" soon. I've been hearing a lot of good things about it. I'll have to check it out at the local bookstore first.--RuffRidr

SSI and SSII are required, as are HOH 1 and 2 if you want to play NL tourneys. Small Stakes Hold'em by sklansky is great. I also own Play Poker Like the Pros(Hellmuth), Killer Online Poker(Vorhaus) and 52 tips for Texas Hold'em Poker(Shulman). These last three were ok, but not great.For non strategy books read Positively Fifth Street, The Professor The Banker and the Suicide King and Poker Wisdom of a Champion by Brunson is a fun read with great stories.I would love to see Raymer write a NL tournament book. While I love HOH, I think Raymer could write a fine book as well.Finally, I recommend that the complete poker player reads The Art of War by Sun Tzu. While it has nothing to do with poker, it has great quotes for life, and I like to imagine that the poker game is a war. For example, "Thus, it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory. "A good poker player puts in the time with the books and self analysis, then goes and plays, having the edge over the unprepared.James

SSI and SSII are required, as are HOH 1 and 2 if you want to play NL tourneys. Small Stakes Hold'em by Sklansky is great. I also own Play Poker Like the Pros(Hellmuth), Killer Online Poker(Vorhaus) and 52 tips for Texas Hold'em Poker(Shulman). These last three were ok, but not great.For non strategy books read Positively Fifth Street, The Professor The Banker and the Suicide King and Poker Wisdom of a Champion by Brunson is a fun read with great stories.I would love to see Raymer write a NL tournament book. While I love HOH, I think Raymer could write a fine book as well.Finally, I recommend that the complete poker player reads The Art of War by Sun Tzu. While it has nothing to do with poker, it has great quotes for life, and I like to imagine that the poker game is a war. For example, "Thus, it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory. "A good poker player puts in the time with the books and self analysis, then goes and plays, having the edge over the unprepared.James

Interested in stud, omaha, and the other games? If so I'd recommend the Advanced Players Series, Omaha Hold'em Poker, Sklansky on Poker, and Poker Essays.