props = -ev (for me anyway)

Yikes, after reading Dn's latest blog, I'd have to say that if I played all those props while playing the best poker players in the world, it wouldn't be anything but major -EV. Daniel says that it helps him focus, but for me trying to play my best game, and better than the rest of the world class players would be plenty to focus on. I guess that's what makes these guys so good.Do you think playing props would help or hinder your game? or wouldn't it make a difference at all?

I love playing poker, who doesn't and if they say they don't, they're a liar. anyway I'm not a full on gamble on anything kinda guy so I can't see just making a small profit after 10 hours of fun/work. I'd hate to hear what my wife sould say after I told her "honey I won 200k playing poker tonight but I lost 120k on props I hope you don't mind" I'd get beat for sure. she wouldn't divorce me, but I'd be but off for a while. :!:

Okay i feel stupid but after reading his blog i still have no idea what props are...can anyone fill me in?Carey

Okay i feel stupid but after reading his blog i still have no idea what props are...can anyone fill me in?Carey
Basic explanation:http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-jour...rt_from=&ucat=&Advanced explanationhttp://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-jour...rt_from=&ucat=&so basically if your prop is 3-8-5, you'll get paid anytime the flop is made up only of different combinations of those cards (eg, 338....555....385). Then there is a complex system of doubles, triples, suits, "Big boys", etc. etc.

:shock: Daniel-Daniel-I'm the one who complained about too much Hockey talk.---Now this prop bs is taking over.I don't think -imo-anyone here gives a rats ass about props unless you are a frickin millionaire and don't care about losing money.I'm here about poker not props and afraid I will be told again if you don't like it don't read it.--Don't bother I won't.--.Actually Hockey seems to be a lesser evil then props. Hope you have mucho big bucks stached (maybe STACKEDis a better word)away in case you hit a bad streak of poker and props. Lucky

Props would be -EV for me too. They do sound like fun though, I think I would especially enjoy watching someone not realise they had hit one of their props. It would feel like a win to me.

I could understand if the whole "props" concept wouldn't appeal to everyone, but I am interested in it.It really adds new light and elements into the mix. At this point I have never played before so I couldn't comment on whether it would be an Ad or Dis to my game. But really it seems like a pretty straight forward game, so once you've got your head around it, it would be fun. Their doesn't seem to be any strategy involved so it would just be something else to pay attention to while already sitting at the table.

When you play long sessions, folding can get boring. When you fold your hand you have to wait till the next hand for action. With props, you are in action on every flop. Most everyone is -EV when they first start playing. One player slept about a million dollars worth of props when he first started. He is better now. As for me, I think I probably have slept about $30,000 in props lifetime.

Focus is something that is needed at poker. I unfortunatly spread my focus a little thin at the table. I am playing cards, writing, and going over my elvish. never was good at staying on only one thing.

When you play long sessions, folding can get boring.  When you fold your hand you have to wait till the next hand for action.  With props, you are in action on every flop.  Most everyone is -EV when they first start playing.  One player slept about a million dollars worth of props when he first started.  He is better now.  As for me, I think I probably have slept about $30,000 in props lifetime.
Daniel,Are you able to pay enough attention to see if the others sleep there props, and if so how much have you saved that way.I imagine you would somewhat try as if you could catch someone sleeping theres, you could probably put them on tilt, with some good razzing.Huskers20

I've read this forum and i've read and re-read DN's blog and I still would have to see it in action for about, oh, i dunno, a year, 18 months tops befor it'll make sense. Then just to be sure, study it for the remaining 6 months. in second thought I'll stick to marbles.

When you play long sessions, folding can get boring.  When you fold your hand you have to wait till the next hand for action.  With props, you are in action on every flop.  Most everyone is -EV when they first start playing. One player slept about a million dollars worth of props when he first started.  He is better now.  As for me, I think I probably have slept about $30,000 in props lifetime.
Anyonewho say props are -ev, I will forever dirrect them to this thread...
I love playing poker, who doesn't and if they say they don't, they're a liar. anyway I'm not a full on gamble on anything kinda guy so I can't see just making a small profit after 10 hours of fun/work. I'd hate to hear what my wife sould say after I told her "honey I won 200k playing poker tonight but I lost 120k on props I hope you don't mind" I'd get beat for sure. she wouldn't divorce me, but I'd be but off for a while. :!:
..............................miller can comes crashing down, from above!
..............................miller can comes crashing down, from above!
LOL So True.

I could see wanting to play props for a few extra dollars to spice up the action when you're not in a hand, but to risk hundreds of thousands on props seems rediculous. Actually, to risk any amount on props that COULD put a dent in your income seems stupid. In other words, I would have no trouble loosing $25,000 in props in a $2k/$4k game, but to loose $125k would make me want to jump off a building. In your case Daniel, the majority of your posts in the last 2 months have been about how you lost $100k here and $200k there, don't you think props might be hurting you? It's no better than tossing away a few hundred thousand in the pits. On Nov. 17th you posted a $72k win, $207k in poker ($136k) in props, you should be sick to your stomach with a day like that. With that said, maybe there's an endless supply of money that you know about and I don't. However, if I was facing Helmuth, Chan, Brunson, and Ivey every day, I'd be looking to cash in on safer bets. Just my two cents.... flame on....Oh, by the way, it occurs to me that you like blogging your losing days more than your winning days. It gives you the appearence of being down on your luck. Maybe it just helps you sort out the pitfalls of your day. But from where your readers are sitting... you lose A LOT. You're also a big time poker celeb... you're like the Gene Simmons of poker... so God bless you dude, I always liked you and always will.

:club: Snooka--I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this props thing is ridiculous.It may seem to those with millions(at least for now) that the money tree will always be there.As this type of gambling permeates the pro players many who are just reaching the big money will find it disasteras and end up more then broke probably with markers out and in dire straights. daniel I urge you to read your blog on props and look at what a waste of time it is and how it may cause your downfall. Remember the Romans?It doesn't last forever(and you are now married!!)Get back to POKER my friend and let the other high rollers throw their money away!!!!!Lucky
Oh, by the way, it occurs to me that you like blogging your losing days more than your winning days. It gives you the appearence of being down on your luck.
Everyone remembers, with great detail, their losing hands and sessions, but few can recall, with any amount of certainty, their winning hands. I can remember just about all the bad beats I've taken, but not all the big pots I've won. It's easier to relate a bad beat storie than a winning storie.
Ok, I am new to this forum. Can someone please explain what "-EV" stands for? Any other things that you could define for me would be super.EStormOk
EV, Expected Value.