norman chad is the best poker host...

I always wondered how VanPatten got that gig? Whats next? A Baldwin? 8)
Van Patten kills at his home games... He's been playing in serious cash games for 30... yep, 30 years.

Poker isn't supposed to be funny. It's supposed to be a match of wits. Commentators are supposed to be televising a game and commenting on the action. Sometimes the game is just boring, and sometimes you have great drama. The commentator's are supposed to call the action they are watching and give us the viewer insight on that action, not tell jokes and make fun of the players and/or their wardrobe. That's what "Comedy Central" is for. Norman Chad is to poker what Dennis Miller was to football. He gives no insight whatsoever. He just ridicules the players and their actions. That is not good for the game. It just makes it easier for others not to take it seriously. If I want to be entertained...I'll watch celebrity poker. Now that's funny! :D

I think it would be great to get Norman Chad and Howard Lederer commentating together.I'd like that.Not as much as I'd like to see Lederer, Chad, and Phil Gordon get 20 minutes in a dark room with Van Patten, but still, it'd be intresting.
I think it would be great to have Smasharoo and XXEddie commenting together.
I'm a fan of Phil Gordon, although he looks a little overeager on Celebrity Poker Showdown. I just want to push him back in his chair and say "Relax, man!"
i like that he gets animated about p0ker hands that really dont mean anything...shows his true love of the game...i have a feeling this guy would be just as animated in a homegame in somebodys garage...i think phil is a pretty good player and a nice guy
Chad is a cad. He isn't funny (unless maybe if you live in a trailer park and your mom is your dad's sister).His commentator partner at least has a grip on the game, Chad must sit on the can desperately trying to come up with witty sayings. At least his effort probably put a few logs in the bowl. :D

Howard is the best for accurrate poker commentary. Also, I just wanted to say, I think it's funny how sometimes Howard will say, "I think he needs to get out of this hand, he won't lose much." after a guy has been raised and then the guy he is referring to re-raises and wins the hand. It just shows that although Howard's commentary is accurate, Howard plays a more conservative tight aggressive game than most people.

Howard L. clearly has some excellent in depth knowlede and when I am in the mood for learning I could listen to him too for hours on end...frankly though he is dull as dishwater. Much like if I wanted to learn about chess I'd talk to Kasparov(sp?)...however if I wanted to be entertained watching a chess match, I'd want Hulk Hogan doing the commentary.I guess my long winded point is...ah forget it I lost my train of thought.KK

i gotta agree that lederer is a pretty good host. it seems like he gives pretty good insight about what the players are gererally thinkin. i like how he makes comments about the hand, and then gives u reasons y they did this or y they did that. might not make it as exciting, but if u really like watching poker sipmly for the love of the game, it can still be entertaing and a pretty good learning experiance. just my opinion about it.peace :D

I don't know how I feel about that guy. Seems like the entire coversage of the 2004 WSOP was him either talking about how all the young players are up past their bedtime or how he didn't get along with wives 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. It's nice to inject some personality, and I don't think anyone could doubt that he is smarter than Vince Van Patten, but I mean come on, there's got to be some middle ground here.... I personally am a big fan of Mike Sexton's analysis, he is a respected pro player (even though he has hit a dry spell), and is pretty spot-on about making correct plays and such. And who can knock Howard Lederer, who's always on top of things. The real question is, who out there could inject some life into commentating poker without being as lame as Van Patten or Norman Chad? Any suggestions?

I think that Norman Chad is funny on the WSOP. I also think that having Howard Lederer comment on a poker show is an awesome resource to improve your game. The people that are arguing over which is better to have, and I think the answer is both. You need the jokes and colorful commentating to make it excting for the people who just watch for fun, but you need to hve good analysis and explanations for those who watch to improve their game, which Howard Lederer does better than anyone else. Like others have already mentioned, I wish Norman Chad and Howard Lederer could team up :-)

Norman Chad isn't funny, he's super cheesy annoying.Like Richard Simmons...

This is my first post and probably my last post on this site. While I do love reading it, I don't really like posting. But when I saw this topic I just had to make a name and reply.Norman Chad is by far the worst commentator I have ever heard in my life. I am watching poker not a comedy special. And I want to hear about poker. I agree completely with the guy who said he is like the Dennis Miller of poker. He is there for laughs, and unfortuantly I don't like laughing AT people. It's like watching that show that makes fun of the old science fiction movies. You know the ones with the puppets in the shadows? ESPN tries to make poker for everyone and while I think that's cool, I really would like to see a more proffesional approach to commentating. Howard L. is perfect. I don't mind his "boring" style, in fact I like it. I would trade funny for expert opinion 101% of the time. Not only HL but I am suprised no one said they like Phil Hellmuth. The old WSOP videos they always had him there. Mainly because they didn't have hole card cameras then ahhaa. He is amazing. 98 WSOP he called that AQ VS J10 hand with Scotty and I was just amazed. Well whatever there is my 2 cents...i need to catch a train. Later

I think this guy is ripping off my thread on who is the best and worse commentators.  Norman Chad is as funny as ASS LINT.  The guy just is plain retarded.  I apoligize to any Retarded people I have offended.
LMAO!!!! I think you may have also offended ASS LINT, Unclebuck99!!!!
Norman Chad is by far the worst commentator I have ever heard in my life.
You haven't heard Michael Kay then, I'm guessing. He doesn't call poker, but he's certainly worse. If Sox-Yankees are on, I'll watch with the sound off.As for Norman, he doesn't bother me. I'd prefer Lederer of course, but I don't think Norman takes anything away from my viewing experience.

Lest we forget a man by the name of David Phillip Foley???The man is a poker-genius. A rich man's nightmare. Kids In the Hall and News Radio don't hold a candle to his poker skills. I once saw him lay down middle pair to two raisers in front of him. Simply amazing.

wow, i can't believe all these people bashing norman chad. i'd expect more van patten bashing or even mike sexton. the thing i like about norman chad is just gives gambling commentary. if you don't have any gamble in you, then you won't like his comments. things like 'i'm willing to bet the deed to YOUR house lon, that X will happen'. i mean that is just a degenerate gambler joke that i find amusing. got knows he much better than van patten. not to take anything away from vince as he's made tons of money in those hollywood games over the years. but he's way out of his league on the WPT. and mike sexton complete dramatizing each and every hand and giving horrible and inaccurate commentary on them.i think the WSOP coverage is unmatched in being properly produced and well commentated. the WPT makes it like a freakin circus side show. and for those bashing howard lederer, that just shows you don't want to learn anything when watching poker on TV because he gives the most insightful comments and analysis on each and every hand. i've even heard that some professionals don't like him commentating because he gives away too much information to novice players. he may be boring, but his commentary with regards to good strategy is unrivaled. i wish we could hear from of him commentating but he makes too many final tables.keep it up howard. you are the man.