How Does One Throw A Baseball As Far As Possible?

One of my guy friends that is 145 lbs soaking wet bets that he can throw a baseball farther (carry only, roll doesn't count) than me. The thing is that I'm significantly bigger and stronger than he is. I'm 205 lbs, 6 ft tall. We lift weights together, he benches 135, i bench 225, so it's not like i'm a tall chubby guy. Now obviously technique is part of it but I'm not unathletic and I can throw a ball. He thinks that because he played lots of baseball during high school (just intramural), he can out throw me based solely on his better technique. He does hit a golf ball farther than I do but that has a lot more to do with mechanics, swing plane etc. I think because of this, he thinks he can throw a baseball farther than me too. Thoughts? Also, how can I throw a baseball as far as I can? I intend to use as much of my body as possible, throwing hard of course and launching at a 45 degree angle.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask Long Live York in his math thread.

Thoughts? Also, how can I throw a baseball as far as I can? I intend to use as much of my body as possible, throwing hard of course and launching at a 45 degree angle.
Looks like you've got it all figured out there, killer. That relationship can really be unintuitive for some people.
Looks like you've got it all figured out there, killer. That relationship can really be unintuitive for some people.
lol. my buddy thinks there is more than that, which is prob true.

index, middle fingers and thumb, more like a 35-40 degree angle than 45. fwiw, i think the other guy will probably crush you, and i'm not just saying that because i'm a 135 lb former shortstop. :club:

index, middle fingers and thumb, more like a 35-40 degree angle than 45. fwiw, i think the other guy will probably crush you, and i'm not just saying that because i'm a 135 lb former shortstop. :club:
help me pls
How are you going to quantify where it lands if roll is not included?
guess we'll have a guy in the infield, the ball will make a mark on the gravel where it hits.
help me plsguess we'll have a guy in the infield, the ball will make a mark on the gravel where it hits.
I did it on a football field once, pretty easy to tell where your shot lands......lol
How about practising, until you can thow a baseball really far?Ingenious I know.
Pretty ceretain he's going to injure his arm by combination of throwing cold and over throwing with strength only.When does the competition take place?

You're probably going to get crushed. Just because he's small really has no bearing on velocity. It's how you use particular muscles/angles/release point, etc. There's a few students at our one of our schools that offer a service of taking video and comparing your throwing motion to big leaguers, whether it be football or baseball. It really is amazing how many things affect velocity and accuracy. Fwiw, I weight about 145 and I can throw about 85 mph and a football about 60 yards.

Practicing just proves that he's right. To prove that you're right, you need to just go out there and beat him with your brute strength.

guess we'll have a guy in the infield, the ball will make a mark on the gravel where it hits.
You guys can't throw very far.
Fwiw, I weight about 145 and I can throw about 85 mph and a football about 60 yards.
It's not worth much, but two thumbs up for your arm strength!