Sushi Thread

Ok, I am going to order some takeout sushi tonight. Any suggestions on what I should get? I only like the rolls so no nigiri or whatever for me.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spider Roll (tempura soft shell crab) for the win.
Haha, I have that written down already to order! They are fantastic.

dynamite roll is wicked good....i think yellowtail, salmon, and either maguro (also tuna) or some other fish...really good.Also surf n turf (filet and lobster) roll is good even though it isnt really sushi

It's only real sushi if you catch it and eat it while it's still alive.Otherwise don't be lazy..cook your fish.
When the boat captain offers you fresh caught yellowfin with soy down it's throat and wasabi up it's ass, or you can give him 10 minutes to clean and serve, I've typically chosen the latter, but that's just personal preference, I think.

There are 3 meetings in history I want to get the transcipts for.The 1st one was for the formation of Starbucks. I'm sure it went like this:Guy #1: So you want to open a store that sells nothing but coffee?Starbucks Guy: Yea.Guy #2: It won't work, you only make like $.25 on a cup of coffee if you sell it for $.50.Starbucks Guy: Well I was going to ask $3.00 a cup.Guy #1 : $3.00? No one will ever pay that.Starbucks Guy: Sure they will, I'm going to market it to the young just out of college group of people, they'll buy anything as long as they think it makes them cool.Then the Sushi Guys:Guy #1: So you want to open a fish restaurant?Sushi Guy: Hi, I like sell fish.Guy #2: Well you can't get a permit for a stove, the fire marshall around here is really strict.Sushi Guy: Well then I no cook fish.Guy #1: You won't cook the fish? Who would be dumb enough to pay full price for fish when you don't even cook it?Sushi Guy: I not charge full price, I charge double full price, then I will market Sushi to young people fresh out of college because they will buy anything if they think it is cool.The 3rd meeting has to do with the rednecks and their secret formation of NOW in order to no longer have to marry a woman just cause she gets pregnant, makes women go out and get jobs, and gets government funds to be used to give abortions to women so they don't have to. But that one would take too long.

Eek. Starbucks is not comparable to sushi.I constantly see awful commercials that make me wonder about the meetings involved in actually getting them to air on national television.

Ok, I am going to order some takeout sushi tonight. Any suggestions on what I should get? I only like the rolls so no nigiri or whatever for me.
Just got in and saw this....Wife and I had sushi (Love roll) and some veggie tempura tonight.Very good.
My grocery store actually makes decent sushi. I picked up a spicey tuna roll on the way home tonight. :club:
Store bought sushi makes me gag (in a bad way). Sushi rice just should not be refrigerated.

It's hard to suggest the best rolls, because I like a lot of specialty type rolls, and they're different everywhere.But generaly I get a spicy tuna, or crunchy spicy tuna.... spicy shrimp of some sort...Basically everything I get needs to have spicy something.. just saying...And then I'll usually pick a couple specialty ones that strike my fancy.I also prefer Ponzu over Soy. And always an extra side of spicy mayo.All rolls for me. Unless I'm in the restaurant and can get something like Hamachi in ponzu w/ jalapeno or something cool like that. But I don't usually do just the plain sashimi or nigiri.

My grocery store actually makes decent sushi. I picked up a spicey tuna roll on the way home tonight. :club:
I assume this is Publix??? I have never eaten from there, but my co-workers swear by it.My wife likes to brag she eats sushi. I keep trying to tell her California rolls are a few pieces of raw fish short of being sushi.
I assume this is Publix??? I have never eaten from there, but my co-workers swear by it.My wife likes to brag she eats sushi. I keep trying to tell her California rolls are a few pieces of raw fish short of being sushi.
sushi just means japanese food. california rolls are sushi as much as sweet and sour pork is chinese food.
It's hard to suggest the best rolls, because I like a lot of specialty type rolls, and they're different everywhere.But generaly I get a spicy tuna, or crunchy spicy tuna.... spicy shrimp of some sort...Basically everything I get needs to have spicy something.. just saying...And then I'll usually pick a couple specialty ones that strike my fancy.I also prefer Ponzu over Soy. And always an extra side of spicy mayo.All rolls for me. Unless I'm in the restaurant and can get something like Hamachi in ponzu w/ jalapeno or something cool like that. But I don't usually do just the plain sashimi or nigiri.
If you like sushi, hit Sai Cafe in Chicago on Sheffield and Armitage. Have a nice day.
Truth, California Rolls, if not most rolls, are barely sushi. I've found decent supermarket sushi at Harris Teeter in North Carolina, but I agree with Speedz, that unless you truly enjoy sushi in general, fresh rice is way better than anything that sits cooling in a supermarket. That said, not a lot of good sushi in central/west North Carolina, so I'm more worried about decent fish than the rice.

I had an extra dry vodka dirty martini and an 8oz filet with Lobster tonite. Kinda sushi...sorta...maybe....Even took a pic. Durants in Phoenix, ftw!DurantsSteak1.jpgI have no idea how that pine tree got on my plate though

I had an extra dry vodka dirty martini and an 8oz filet with Lobster tonite. Kinda sushi...sorta...maybe....Even took a pic. Durants in Phoenix, ftw!DurantsSteak1.jpgI have no idea how that pine tree got on my plate though
I just got a boner.
Ever try Banderas in Scottsdale? Had it Friday night and it was unbelievable.