A Hand That Separates The Rookies From The Pros

Tournament blinds @ 60/120.I'm sitting relatively comfortable with 19000 in chips.I got lucky enough to be seated to the left of the loose and drunken rookie at the table. (Chip leader lol --sucked out an all in preflop call with Ac2d against an AhQh by hitting four clubs)To my left is an extremely tight lawyer. (Sitting with about 8k--He plays exactly his cards--never bluffs--very easy to read)To his left is a somewhat solid rookie--who I have gotten a very good feel for. (He has about 12k--We'll call him Mr. B)--Mr. B is the player that the hand focuses on.Things to note on Mr. B: He overplays his pocket pairs. I had witnessed him raise all in pre with any pocket pair he picks up. (44, 77, JJ, and even 22) An amateure--he overplays his hands, but otherwise he plays standard "by the book" poker.I am on the button with a suited 9c10c. Mr. B limps in first position. Nobody else limps. The small blind is away from the table so he is folded. The tight lawyer checks--indicating a weak hand. So three of us go to the flop--The lawyer, Mr. B, and I.Flop: 10h 7c 7dPot size: 420Lawyer checks.Mr. B checks.I bet 360. --Feeler bet.Lawyer folds.Mr. B smooth calls. (This makes me put him on either a 7, 89, or a 10)Turn: 2sMr. B checks. (Making me put him on a 7 even more)I check behind him.River: 7hMr. B goes all in.Before you read what is below here. Gather up all of the information I've given you. Think about it and figure out what you would do here. Your decision here is a good indicator as to how good of a poker player you are.So... what a decision... I think to myself (aloud like always)... The hands that can beat me here are: JJ, QQ, KK, AA, and x7. From how he plays his pocket pairs I rule out that he DEFINITELY doesn't have JJ, QQ, KK, or AA. So I'm putting him on either a 10x hand or a 7x hand. So at best I'm probably going to split here. The way the hand came out he would have no reason to bluff here. So... what did you decide to do? Call or fold? The deciding factor for me was this: I only have 480 invested in the pot. The pot size at this point is now 1140. I have to call about 10k here. Everything leads me to believe he has quad 7's here! Although I've seen him overplay his hands, he played it like he had a 7. I ended up folding bc I didn't want to risk 10k for only 1k when I'm at best splitting. (I have to tighten up in a tournament situation) Although it was possible he missed a straight draw and tried to bluff on the river. I ruled it out entirely, bc it just wasn't his style. Lucky for me he showed his quad 7's and my improved confidence ended up leading me to take 1st again. So be HONEST, what did you decide to do here?

Easy fold imo. You said he was a super-tight player, and there were a lot of hand that had you beat, especially with trip 7's on the board. In a tournament there will be better spots to play, this is, and you said it yourself, a marginal spot to put in over half your chips.

Why the hell did you post the results? Read the posting guidelines.This hand is a pretty simple fold. Folding here doesn't make you a pro, and it doesn't make you a great player, so please stop bragging. You either make <$600 or lose $10k. Pretty easy to see that he only has to have quads a very small % of the time for calling here to be horrendous.I raise preflop.I don't bet that big on the flop. You say that the flop bet is a 'feeler' bet. In other words, you're betting for information. Your 'feeler' bet will generally fold out all worse hands, and will never fold out a better hand. If you're betting to protect your hand you don't need to bet that much because you have position and you are usually WA/WB.

This is just ****ing awesome. Lots of plays that are "good" would have paid that off.Your analysis is perfect. Have you considered going pro?

Why the hell did you post the results? Read the posting guidelines.This hand is a pretty simple fold. Folding here doesn't make you a pro, and it doesn't make you a great player, so please stop bragging. You either make <$600 or lose $10k. Pretty easy to see that he only has to have quads a very small % of the time for calling here to be horrendous.I raise preflop.I don't bet that big on the flop. You say that the flop bet is a 'feeler' bet. In other words, you're betting for information. Your 'feeler' bet will generally fold out all worse hands, and will never fold out a better hand. If you're betting to protect your hand you don't need to bet that much because you have position and you are usually WA/WB.
Quoted for truth.Raise pre, bet less on the flop, check-fold river.

One sentence analysis is goot: I know I am never outright winning this hand. Thus, I fold, bc my positive expectation of calling is less than my negative expectation of folding.

Hardly phenomenal hand reading there. If you need an ego boost, forums are the way to do it though ;)Basically any massive overbet on the river is rarely a bluff. Here's a hand I played in a live $20 donkfest tourny in my building. 10k starting chips, very slow initial blinds. We're in the second level with 50/100 blinds. I am sitting on about 8500 chips. Aggressive guy (Villain) two to my left has 9000. Everyone else is passive.I'm in middle position with 8c9c and limp behind a limper or two. Aggressive guy in late position calls, blinds call.Flop comes Tx 4c 2c. Checks, I check, Villain min bets. One blind calls, I call. Pot is about 700. Turn is an offsuit 3. All check.River is the 5 of clubs. The blind bets 300, I raise to 1000. Villain insta shoves the rest of his 9000 stack. Blind folds.Do you ever call this 5x pot raise here? Does the villain ever show up just an ace, 6 or lower flush? Very, very unlikely.I ended up folding after thinking for about 5 seconds. Villain didn't show, but a couple levels later he insta shoved the river for 2.5x the pot against a medium sized bet with his turned quads.

OK I said fold, and I was right!Finally, I know for sure I'm good enough to quit my job and head to Vegas. Certainly I'm among a small minority who could make a world class lay-down there.Thanks OP

What a let down, lol. You dont need reads at all to fold this hand. With the reads you have its a definite mistake to not raise pre-flop. You take down the blinds most of the time, and if called the PF raise makes suited connectors very hard to read when they hit.A player who overplays pocket pairs also might tend to check raise trips against a somewhat drawish board thats been limped around. I dont think your read of a 7 can be as confident as it sounds, but 7 is certainly in his range. You can get a better idea leading the turn, and most likely would have folded it out with a PF raise.Also I just noticed how deep stacked everyone is. The flop bet is somewhat of an overbet. The hand is vulnerable if not behind already, so keep the pot small and see what develops.

Tournament blinds @ 60/120.I'm sitting relatively comfortable with 19000 in chips.I got lucky enough to be seated to the left of the loose and drunken rookie at the table. (Chip leader lol --sucked out an all in preflop call with Ac2d against an AhQh by hitting four clubs)To my left is an extremely tight lawyer. (Sitting with about 8k--He plays exactly his cards--never bluffs--very easy to read)To his left is a somewhat solid rookie--who I have gotten a very good feel for. (He has about 12k--We'll call him Mr. B)--Mr. B is the player that the hand focuses on.Things to note on Mr. B: He overplays his pocket pairs. I had witnessed him raise all in pre with any pocket pair he picks up. (44, 77, JJ, and even 22) An amateure--he overplays his hands, but otherwise he plays standard "by the book" poker.I am on the button with a suited 9c10c. Mr. B limps in first position. Nobody else limps. The small blind is away from the table so he is folded. The tight lawyer checks--indicating a weak hand. So three of us go to the flop--The lawyer, Mr. B, and I.Flop: 10h 7c 7dPot size: 420Lawyer checks.Mr. B checks.I bet 360. --Feeler bet.Lawyer folds.Mr. B smooth calls. (This makes me put him on either a 7, 89, or a 10)Turn: 2sMr. B checks. (Making me put him on a 7 even more)I check behind him.River: 7hMr. B goes all in.Before you read what is below here. Gather up all of the information I've given you. Think about it and figure out what you would do here. Your decision here is a good indicator as to how good of a poker player you are.So... what a decision... I think to myself (aloud like always)... The hands that can beat me here are: JJ, QQ, KK, AA, and x7. From how he plays his pocket pairs I rule out that he DEFINITELY doesn't have JJ, QQ, KK, or AA. So I'm putting him on either a 10x hand or a 7x hand. So at best I'm probably going to split here. The way the hand came out he would have no reason to bluff here. So... what did you decide to do? Call or fold? The deciding factor for me was this: I only have 480 invested in the pot. The pot size at this point is now 1140. I have to call about 10k here. Everything leads me to believe he has quad 7's here! Although I've seen him overplay his hands, he played it like he had a 7. I ended up folding bc I didn't want to risk 10k for only 1k when I'm at best splitting. (I have to tighten up in a tournament situation) Although it was possible he missed a straight draw and tried to bluff on the river. I ruled it out entirely, bc it just wasn't his style. Lucky for me he showed his quad 7's and my improved confidence ended up leading me to take 1st again. So be HONEST, what did you decide to do here?
ok? whats so special other then a standard fold... :club:

Mr. B played this hand horribly.He should have been value betting on every street imo. And only someone staring at their own cards would call the river shove.

I don't understand how laying down a vulnerable top pair when it is this deep stacked is a play only professionals can make...but w/e.Basically read what everyone has been saying, raise PF and fold river.

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously dude. Post this on 2p2 and see how far you get, you've been let off lightly ****ing idiot. I dont think you understand how much better some of the players on this forum are compared to you.

The elusive jerk attitude determines who the rooks are here for me. :ts:club:
Let's recap the conversation so we're all on the same page:KidPokerKid: "I made such a hero laydown, come on, be honest. You couldn't have made this laydown, could you? be honest."Any Random Person: "Actually dude, the only thing I was impressed by in this thread is your delusional sense of grandeur."KidPokerKid: "Oh shut up, I can tell that the rookies are the ones that are insulting me, they're obviously just jealous of my immeasurable skill and talent."Secretly, I want to believe that this is a fake account and it's some moderately intelligent person who is just a little immature having a little fun at the strat posters expense, but the truth is: If your actual ability was even close to the level that you think it is, you would be crushing HSP on GSN instead of posting in an internet forum about how great you are.