• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty happy if we can get Kerry Wood, hopefully for reasonably cheap. Def. better than Joe Borowski.

Very interesting stuff lately.Hernandez for Freel. I like the Orioles part of this even though I think Hernandez is the better player I just think the 4 million saved is worth it. The 2 prospects they got in return are gravy, even though they will probably never amount to anything since Ive never heard of them and they werent on the Reds top 14 prospects according to Baseball Prospectus. Plus it opens up a spot for next years rookie of the year Matt Wieters.I think the Laird for prospects trade was pretty even. I actually like Laird quite a bit and the Tigers didn't give up a ton. And for the Rangers they had a surplus at catcher, saved some money and got a couple interesting pitching prospects.K-Rod signing is interesting. I still dont think that hes worth that much money, but the Mets need bullpen help badly and its for alot less money than I thought it would be. I would have preferred them sign Jeremy Affeldt, Howry and Juan Cruz instead to upgrade their bullpen though.Even though most stat guys like the Loretta signing, but I dont. 2B tend to decline quickly and Loretta's offense cant really stand to lose anything. Plus his defense is piss poor. Yeah hes versatile, but that doesn't help much when your a poor player at multiple positions. Basically I think they are paying 1.4 million for a replacement level player.One signing I like alot is the Tigers signing Adam Everett. Assuming he is healthy this is a steal and I think that pretty much any team would be much better off signing Everett. San Fran would have been much better off signing Everett to his contract and saving all that money for something else than giving Renteria that retarded deal. I don't think Renteria is going to bounce back. I think last years offensive production was true decline by him and his defense has always been bad.I will be interested in seeing how much Wood gets.

GM of the Padres said either the Cubs get Peavy or he stays in San Diego.One time!!
Kevin Towers has been saying a lot of things. Too many things, I would guess. The guy told the press there was no chance Peavy went untraded this offseason, now he's saying that Peavy vould stay. He said he had discussions with teams Peavy didn't approve of before hand. He had a solid deal on the table from Atlanta, then went to the press every time someone mentioned Peavy in passing, hoping to jack the price up from Atlanta. Towers is currently talking himself into a deal that won't get near the return he could have had, when all he has to do is keep his mouth shut and let people present offers in the hope that Peavy is amenable to one.
Even though most stat guys like the Loretta signing, but I dont. 2B tend to decline quickly and Loretta's offense cant really stand to lose anything. Plus his defense is piss poor. Yeah hes versatile, but that doesn't help much when your a poor player at multiple positions. Basically I think they are paying 1.4 million for a replacement level player.
I think this is pretty much what they wanted; someone to spell all 4 infield positions, and someone to pretty much replace Nomar on the bench. DeWitt actually hit better vs lhp last year than vs rhp, and Torre loves him, so I don't think Loretta will be getting that many starts. If he does, someone got hurt and the season is probably not going well. 1.4m for 1 year doesn't really seem that outrageous in the current market.I'm actually pretty optimistic about CC right now (to answer your question earlier in the thread general gee), and it seems no one wants to pay Manny what he wants (or rather how many years he wants), so maybe things will work out where we can get both. That would obviously be ideal, but not sure if Ned Co can pull it off. If he can sign both + somehow get Raffy back for 2-3 year deal, I will stop making fun of his mustache...if he can do all that and somehow unload Pierre or Jones, I will grow my own mustache in homage to Ned.
Not totally sure I like AJ Burnett going to Atl. He just seems so inconsistant. I don't know. But glad to see them going after that big FA p/u.
Not so fast...http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3761008I read on there that they want to sign Lowe too, so possibly CC, AJ, and Lowe for big deals. MBN to spend that much on pitching.
Not so fast...http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3761008I read on there that they want to sign Lowe too, so possibly CC, AJ, and Lowe for big deals. MBN to spend that much on pitching.
Here the thing about AJ he has always had the great stuff but he really hasn't put it completely together. Think this could be the next carl pavano signing.

As someone who follows the Jays, i can attest how frustrating AJ is. When he's on, he's top notch. Problem is, he's hurt too often. Plus, his season this year wasn't near as good as the main numbers seemed to indicate. Five year contract, two years worth of performance.

Tigers traded Matt Joyce for Edwin Jackson. I am on tilt right now...
Yeah this is a great trade for the Rays. Joyce is a little younger, cost controlled for 3 more years at league minimum, a better player and a better fit for the Rays.
Yeah this is a great trade for the Rays. Joyce is a little younger, cost controlled for 3 more years at league minimum, a better player and a better fit for the Rays.
I loved Joyce last year and think he will be a fine player and with guillen now the left fielder I wanted Joyce there to be able to move into that spot when Guillen struggles, as he will. ( I feel sorry for Granderson this upcoming year, he has arguably the two slowest corner men in the game today around him. Centerfield just got bigger in Detroit).
Detroit needs pitching.This has been one of the more eventful winter meetings in recent history, which lately have evolved into free agent signings and unfounded rumours.Three-team, 12-player deal?? FANTASTIC!!
Obv they need pitching but stop giving away good players for crap. There is a difference.
Edwin Jackson is not very good. Way too many walks and HRs given up. Doesn't strike out THAT many to the point that you think he'll get a lot better....decent back end starter, probably nothing more.
He will be our 4th at the moment. I read a scouting report that said he was filthy at times but lacked complete control. Great. Just what we need ANOTHER pitcher with control issues. Gah.

Perhaps the Padres GM Towers should take his head out of his a$$ and realize that he's not going to get six or more players for Peavy. They have pretty much stated that they have to unload the contract......but he's not budging even though there's not much of a market for Peavy at the moment..he's basically been talking with one team at a time and is asking for six good or better prospects...outrageous.