Except that he's coming from an even better pitcher's park.
that's debatable, while Dolphin Stadium is deeper on the right side Comerica is deeper on the left side (which immediately jumps to 370 within 15-20 feet of the foul pole) and in center fieldfor a left handed pitcher like Dontrelle that bodes well
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/FLA/attend.shtmlhttp://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/attend.shtmlPark factors are on the far right. Lower numbers indicates a better pitcher's park. Over the last few years -- since the dimensions at Comerica were made somewhat reasonable -- Pro Player has been an EXTREME pitcher's park, and Comerica has probably been about neutral.
I... am happy. 1) Curtis Granderson .361 OBP/.552 SLG / 136 OPS+2) Placido Polanco .388/.458/ 1223) Gary Sheffield .378/.462/ 1204) Miguel Cabrera .401/.565/ 150 5) Magglio Ordonez .344/.595/ 1676) Carlos Guillen .357/.502/ 1237) Edgar Renteria .390/.470/ 1258) Ivan Rodriguez 9) Marcus Thames/Jacue Jones.... Could be nauseating to watch. What happens if Granderson and/or Polanco gets on base to lead off a game? Sheffield, Cabrera, Ordonez, Guillen???Jesus.
That's goign to be the best lineup in baseball. All of those guys hit for avg, and get on base. What a scary team. Remember how much of a joke Detroit was just a few years ago? Man they've come a LONG way.
That's goign to be the best lineup in baseball. All of those guys hit for avg, and get on base. What a scary team. Remember how much of a joke Detroit was just a few years ago? Man they've come a LONG way.
Yeah, anybody who knows me knows how painful it has always been for me to be a baseball fan. I'm 24, and until two years ago, my team has ALWAYS sucked. We won a WS in 1984. I was 1, and my father skipped his sister's wedding to go to a world series game. Woo. Hoo. I used to watch every baseball game with a case of beer and an Emergency Pint of vodka, and I needed it. Fast-forward to 2006, and holy-fucking-crap. All of a sudden my baseball team can swing trades for Gary Sheffield, Edgar Renteria, and Miguel Cabrera. All of a sudden, my baseball team is fielding what may turn out to be one of the better lineups in the history of baseball. Hee hee hee, I love baseball.
Yeah, anybody who knows me knows how painful it has always been for me to be a baseball fan. I'm 24, and until two years ago, my team has ALWAYS sucked. We won a WS in 1984. I was 1, and my father skipped his sister's wedding to go to a world series game. Woo. Hoo. I used to watch every baseball game with a case of beer and an Emergency Pint of vodka, and I needed it. Fast-forward to 2006, and holy-fucking-crap. All of a sudden my baseball team can swing trades for Gary Sheffield, Edgar Renteria, and Miguel Cabrera. All of a sudden, my baseball team is fielding what may turn out to be one of the better lineups in the history of baseball. Hee hee hee, I love baseball.
I was lucky enough to be the good age of 12 when they last won the WS. I still remember everything about that night.

The Dodgers signing Jones isn't 'trade talk', but now that we have a surplus of outfielders (Jones, Pierre, Kemp, Ethier), they are saying it is likely Colletti deals one for a starting pitcher. The A's have been mentioned in regards to Haren and Blanton, and the Orioles with Bedard. They obv both want Kemp, and that makes me really uneasy...Ethier will be solid, but Kemp could be a superstar...or Raul Mondesi come again. Obv I'd love to trade Pierre and his contract, but no one is that stupid.** excluding Ned Colletti

Yeah the Jones deal seem pretty bad considering they plan to still use Pierre as an everyday player. To be honest I dont even expect Jones to outhit Ethier next year. Sure the defence will probably be improved but I expect Jones to hit something like 250/330/480 next year and Ethier to hit something like 290/360/465. I wouldn't mind the move if they accepted that Pierre sucks and sat his ass or sent him along with a ton of cash somewhere else but that doesnt seem to be the case. I also dont understand that the Dodgers seem to be interested in Rolen and some other mediocre 3rd basemen when they have LaRoche.If the Dodgers went with the lineup of MartinLoneyKentFurcalLaRocheEthierJonesand Kempnext year they should be a playoff team.Does anybody know what they plan to do with Nomar? I hope they dont plan on giving him significant ABs. The Dodgers used to be my favourite NL team before Coletti decided it was a good idea to sign a bunch of old players that weren't even better than the young players they already had.

Yeah the Jones deal seem pretty bad considering they plan to still use Pierre as an everyday player. To be honest I dont even expect Jones to outhit Ethier next year. Sure the defence will probably be improved but I expect Jones to hit something like 250/330/480 next year and Ethier to hit something like 290/360/465. I wouldn't mind the move if they accepted that Pierre sucks and sat his ass or sent him along with a ton of cash somewhere else but that doesnt seem to be the case. I also dont understand that the Dodgers seem to be interested in Rolen and some other mediocre 3rd basemen when they have LaRoche.If the Dodgers went with the lineup of MartinLoneyKentFurcalLaRocheEthierJonesand Kempnext year they should be a playoff team.Does anybody know what they plan to do with Nomar? I hope they dont plan on giving him significant ABs. The Dodgers used to be my favourite NL team before Coletti decided it was a good idea to sign a bunch of old players that weren't even better than the young players they already had.
I feel a bit better about any sort of personel decisions they make with Torre in the fold, because he was promised a great deal of input in that aspect. If he is more comfortable with a Pierre-Jones-Ethier/Kemp outfield, then I'll trust him to make the right decision, but I agree with you in that I would have put a lot more stock in the young players.LaRoche should get a shot at 3b, or at least more then he did under Little (who hated upsetting veterans). My hope is that Nomar is relegated to being a spot starter and a PH late in games. A bench with Nomar and Sweeney actually sounds pretty good for late game situations. Scary rumor - Colletti is interested in Pedro Feliz, which would pretty much prove that he was sent by the Giants to sabotage our organization.I'd prefer the Dodgers don't move Kemp, and find a SP elsewhere. Maybe I am underrating Bedard though, because I've seen plenty of Orioles fans who said Bedard for Kemp + Broxton was a horrible trade for Baltimore.
Yea the Tigers are looking really good right now. That trade just puts them over the Yankees for second in the AL. I am very pissed off about the trade being a White Sox fan, but shit, there is always hopes for the Wild Card
Are either of you (PM or Moneyball) or anyone else as amazed as I was that Jones was able to pull such a big contract after his last season?
I'm not amazed, but I didn't think he would get 18m per. I think Boras stated at the beginning of the off season that he wouldn't settle for anything less then 5 years, so one could say it was less then he at least expected (more likely just agent BS). If I had to _guess_, I would say the Dodgers threw more money per year at him in exchange for Jones settling for only a 2 year deal.
Are either of you (PM or Moneyball) or anyone else as amazed as I was that Jones was able to pull such a big contract after his last season?
I am surprised. To be honest I thought hed sign something like a 1 year 12 million dollar contract and try to rebuild his value for next year, but then again when Hunter is getting 18 a year so should Jones I guess. I think people are underestimating just how bad he was last year though.
New Pirates GM Neal Huntington entertained talks with his former team during the winter meetings, but they fizzled out.The Indians would love to have Bay to play left field and add much-needed thump to their lineup. They were willing to offer lefty Cliff Lee, an 18-game winner just two years ago, but the Pirates prefer Jeremy Sowers or Aaron Laffey as well as former Red Sox catcher Kelly Shoppach. Indians outfielder Franklin Gutierrez has also been talked about in a deal.
I'm sorry but if the jays can't put together a better package than this JP should be shot...We have some good arms in the minors and if they are talking trading Rios for Lincecum. You replace the arms given up in a deal for Bay and replace Rios with Bay

The offers from the Indians seem reasonable. I dont think the Jays would improve much by adding Bay either. Some combination of Lind/Johnson/Stairs should be fine. If they traded Rios then yeah maybe Bay would be useful, but even then I wouldnt want to give up much for him considering his contract(which is reasonable but not cheap iirc) and how bad he was last year.

The offers from the Indians seem reasonable. I dont think the Jays would improve much by adding Bay either. Some combination of Lind/Johnson/Stairs should be fine.
If they lose Rios there is no way that combination will produce his #s
The Lastings Milledge/Ryan Church Brian Schnieder (sp?) confuses me somewhat. Seems like Milledge was a very high profile prospect very recently.
The gave up a prospect for a undervalued outfielder, and an excellent game caller. That's probably how they see it.
The Lastings Milledge/Ryan Church Brian Schnieder (sp?) confuses me somewhat. Seems like Milledge was a very high profile prospect very recently.
traded Milledge at his lowest point of value. many teams soured on him. they should have hung on and tried to rebuild his value this season. awful deal.
enjoy. as one of the 12 remaining Marlins fans I am appalled. let me say that knowing larry beinfast......maybin and miller are probably both amazing and at least one of the three minor league arms will pan out. his track record is that good I trust him. so I am sure the marlins wont get totally fleeced. in fact if willis flames out they may get the overall better of the deal.HOWEVER----hitters like Cabrera are rare. the list of guys who hit well over .300 AND hit 30 HRs/115 Rbis consistently is pretty ****ing short. they just dont come around much and when you luck upon one you make him the god damn cornerstone of your franchise. Cabrera is way too good an everyday bat to EVER trade. ever ever ever. He should have been the ONE guy the Marlins sucked it up and paid. I didnt care when they traded Beckett in their last fire sale....but this crosses the line.
HOWEVER----hitters like Cabrera are rare. the list of guys who hit well over .300 AND hit 30 HRs/115 Rbis consistently is pretty ****ing short. they just dont come around much and when you luck upon one you make him the god damn cornerstone of your franchise. Cabrera is way too good an everyday bat to EVER trade. ever ever ever. He should have been the ONE guy the Marlins sucked it up and paid. I didnt care when they traded Beckett in their last fire sale....but this crosses the line.
You forgot to mention that he's only 24.For added fun, Miguel Cabrera's most similar player by age (from baseball-reference):21. Hank Aaron22. Hank Aaron23. Hank Aaron24. Hank Aaron
You forgot to mention that he's only 24.For added fun, Miguel Cabrera's most similar player by age (from baseball-reference):21. Hank Aaron22. Hank Aaron23. Hank Aaron24. Hank Aaron
My nightmare:25. Kent Hrbek26. Kent Hrbek27. Shane Spencer28. That guy who hit the Milwaukee Sausage with the bat and got in trouble for it, who used to play for the Tigers I think
i just threw up a little in my mouth. oh and he decided to get into shape this summer AND Comerica is a much better place to hit than Dolphins Stadium.i doubt adjusting leagues will bother him much....he is like manny or vlad....see ball hit ball. very simple. .333, 40, 125 wouldnt surprise me considering how much lineup protection he has. his biggest problem might be other guys snaking his RBI opportunities.
My nightmare:25. Kent Hrbek26. Kent Hrbek27. Shane Spencer28. That guy who hit the Milwaukee Sausage with the bat and got in trouble for it, who used to play for the Tigers I think
28. Off of the top of my head, I think it was Randall Simon.