Official High Stakes Poker Thread

"Phil Hellmuth has got a weird look on his face, like a shy ostrich who's looking to mate."phil.jpgThat would be the highlight of this episode for me.
QFT. Although I did enjoy seeing Sammy/Phil tilt at various points.
  • Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone know when they are bringing in the new crew?? Also Sammy Farha makes this show. He really has no respect for money at all. That hand he fired out 50k on the river on a stone cold bluff... so sick crazyI was hoping DN would make the call on the 4 flush board with A high. I know it would be suicidal but still I was hoping he could make it.

They have 1 more episode of this then they have the 500k game. Ill be happy when this group is done. I'm sick of the Sammy, Jamie Gold, Eli show. Im disappointed that there hasn't been very much Antonio so far(he will be in the 500k game) and guys like Townsend and Alaei weren't even invited back. Id much rather watch those guys that play very well and aren't afraid to make moves then the lagtards that are on now. The 500k shows should be better though with Barry, Patrick, Antonio, Doyle etc.

They have 1 more episode of this then they have the 500k game. Ill be happy when this group is done. I'm sick of the Sammy, Jamie Gold, Eli show. Im disappointed that there hasn't been very much Antonio so far(he will be in the 500k game) and guys like Townsend and Alaei weren't even invited back. Id much rather watch those guys that play very well and aren't afraid to make moves then the lagtards that are on now. The 500k shows should be better though with Barry, Patrick, Antonio, Doyle etc.
I agree. I am pretty sick of this group as well. It is time to move on.
I think Galfond folded two more times in the taxi on the way to the airport.
LOL that is funny...but seriously the guy was playing tight, which sucked for him when he had helmuth wanting to call but didn't because he hadn't played enough.Also the AKs vs AKos was played HORRIBLY by PH. Why bet that much? even 80K and you have him calling and then All in on the turn to free roll for the last spade. I know he didn't know the hole cards like we do, but I still believe that was a gross overbet of the pot.And FWIW, I love the Sammy, Eli, JG show. It just shows that there are those type of players in every game and not just at the $1/$3 level.
I think Galfond folded two more times in the taxi on the way to the airport.
QFTI mean, what was that guy thinking? That the producers of the show would invite him back because of his nice face? He was one of the least entertaining players to watch since... well let's be honest he might be the least entertaining player to ever be on the show, and he feels screwed because they didn't invite him to the 500k game? The whole reason they put that game on because they want to have huge pots and lots of action, if they all played like him we could watch some really nice episodes of "raise and take it"-poker, now that's entertainment.
QFTI mean, what was that guy thinking? That the producers of the show would invite him back because of his nice face? He was one of the least entertaining players to watch since Paul Wasika... well let's be honest they might be the least entertaining players to ever be on the show, and he feels screwed because they didn't invite him to the 500k game? The whole reason they put that game on because they want to have huge pots and lots of action, if they all played like him we could watch some really nice episodes of "raise and take it"-poker, now that's entertainment.
FYP
FYP
Paul Wasicka was actually pretty good on that show, he ran some plays based on his image.

Phil Galfond explains his play on HSP: (from 2+2)So I got on this next season of HSP thanks to a friend of mine putting in a good word for me.I was 2nd alternate on day 2 and starting on day 3.Day 2 was a 100k min buyin and day 3 was 500k min. I brought 720k with me, planning on playing with 220k max on day two if I got a seat (which the producer made to sound unlikely) and saving the last 500k for the next day, or whatever I had leftover from day 2.I showed up for day 2 around 2pm, just after taping started. Mori, the producer, was extremely nice. He let all of my friends come on set (there were not many people on set). He made me feel very comfortable there, as did all of the other producers and everyone working on the show.It was cool on set. Free food. Random pros walking around. I did some on camera hand analysis for a GSN.com feature, which I wasn't prepared for, but I think I did okay. I was watching the game for hours. Extremely loose action. People were calling down when someones entire range is ahead of their hand. I almost had a boner about it.I got into the game with 2 hours left of taping on day two. I don’t know if I can say exactly who was playing, but I’ll say that the table was very loose and aggressive (in a good way for me) and very talkative. It was the best game I’d played in all year. I was glad I got in, but bummed that I only had two hours. Not to mention that it was live and on a TV set, so I was probably dealt 40 hands the whole time. The players were very friendly for the most part. Jamie Gold was actually a really nice guy (I say actually because I didn’t expect him to be) and improved a lot since last season. Negreanu also played much much better than he had in previous years, and is a great guy from what I can tell. I’m gonna stop listing off players in case I’m not supposed to.I had 100k on the table and 100k in my pocket and was saving the rest for day 3. 90% of hands were straddled and a few were double straddled. That left me with ~40-80bbs effective. With that, and no one folding preflop, the game got really boring for me. I basically had to play 10% of my hands if I wanted to max my EV. Phil Hellmuth called me a nit, which is probably the most embarrassing thing that I can remember happening to me in my lifetime.I was really proud of my ability to hand read live. I was worried that I wouldn't to be able to pick up on things, but I was catching tons of timing tells and was able to put people on hands pretty well, which was what I did to keep busy while folding. There was one hand where I bet and got two really weak seeming calls on a very drawy board. I was really mad because I had the nuts (like 4th nuts, but clearly the best hand) but I couldn't check turn and let draws hit even though I was sure they were folding their midpairs with a gutter or oesd. I guess I don't know if my reads were right, but I feel good about them.There was another hand that I wasn't a part of where one player shoved the river for about 2/5 pot after check-raising the turn. The other player tanks, saying his hand is as good as ace high. People started to chatter about what he could possibly have, which made me feel awesome since I was 90% sure he had 88-JJ with one club and was calling the turn in hopes for a club to hit or a free showdown and was folding to a river bet. After he folded, Negreanu said that he knew the one player would never bluff there, and I thought to myself how I'd always bluffshove that river. I’m looking forward to seeing that hand to check my read.Overall though, it was a boring day for me. Lots of anticipation and only got the chance to play for 2 hours with a small roll since I was saving 500k for the big day.Just before going to bed that night, I was informed that 3 of the TV Pros from day 2 decided last minute that they wanted to play on day 3, and that I wasn’t good TV because I was so tight and didn’t talk enough to the players who don’t know me. So, I lost my spot on the table. To say the least, I was very mad. Had I not been saving $500k for day 3, I would’ve been able to play a much more open game. I guess nobody there had any idea of my reputation and playing style, because I have never been accused of being a nit before that day. Usually I get ‘station’ ‘monkey’ or ‘FPS-machine’. I also had less than 50 hands to show what I had. Hellmuth spent over 15 minutes negotiating and discussing insurance deals when he was all-in.Not to mention the fact that I had to fly halfway across the country and move $720k twice (not easy for me, and probably will get me audited) to play for 2 hours and get bumped from my guaranteed spot by people who have been on the show many times, live in Vegas, and aren’t affected at all by being on the show one more day.Another frustrating aspect of it is that I didn’t get a chance to prove myself. America still thinks that my whole Day 2 table (besides me) is full of the best poker players in the world, when I would’ve salivated over playing any of them HU. (Maybe wouldn’t have salivated over one or two but would surely be a favorite) I know that I need to get over this part. It shouldn’t bother me what the public thinks, and I’m working on not caring as much.After getting angry for a while, I looked for somewhere/someone to place my anger. That’s when I realized that there was really no one to be angry at. I was lied to, in a sense, which is my number one pet peave by far. But the players we almost all extremely friendly, and I’m positive the ones who wanted to play the next day didn’t consider the effects on me. Mori gave me a shot at being on one of the most watched poker shows on TV. He was nothing but nice and accommodating. While I’m sure he had a lot of say as to whether I got to keep my day 3 spot, I don’t blame him much for his decision. He doesn’t want to upset some of his biggest name players, and I didn’t show him anything on day 2 that he could show to execs to defend his decision to keep me on the show. As far as he knows, I am a complete nit and maybe not even good at poker.I think it’s really unfortunate that America would rather watch bad, loud poker than extremely high level thinking from the true best players in the world, but I guess they don’t know any better.I would love if someone would do a show where Me, durrr, Aba, and two more (Not saying I’m necessarily one of the best 5 online players and don’t wanna make a top 5 list) each play HU v Ivey, Doyle, Negreanu, etc. Like, we each pair up with a pro and play best of 3 HU 200bb freezouts. Each team puts up $2mm or whatever and whichever team wins most out of 5 splits the prize amongst themselves. Online pros v Live pros. Then maybe America would realize how it really is. Anyways, I’m ranting now.I didn’t have a good experience at HSP, but it was really nobody’s fault. Mori told me he owed me and would make it up to me. My friends didn’t believe him, but I do. He seems very genuine. Hopefully I’ll get my chance sometime soon.Oh. I finished up $20k! YAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!

I was going to post that article by galfond too, hard to have any time to show what your worth is if you only get 30 hands and they are almost all garbage.Gold is annoying as hell, but playing better than I thought he could. You can tell some of the others are weary to get involved with him because he will push with anything, but has shown the goods enought to get some respect for his hands. Sammy went on mega tilt a couple epsiodes ago and is recovering. They keep tlaking about DN and Jen playing so tight, but when you have chips being tossed around like that, then that is what needs to happen, you can't have 4 people pushing with 10 high.I like Eli, I think he is a very good and underated player. I thought it was really funny when Helmuth started to go on and on about how Eli thought if he had an A in the BB he would have to push like it was a tournament, and ELi said, No, I was just hoping you had a Jack. Definately shows the difference between tourney poker and cash game with that little comment.

Phil Galfond explains his play on HSP: (from 2+2)So I got on this next season of HSP thanks to a friend of mine putting in a good word for me.I was 2nd alternate on day 2 and starting on day 3.Day 2 was a 100k min buyin and day 3 was 500k min. I brought 720k with me, planning on playing with 220k max on day two if I got a seat (which the producer made to sound unlikely) and saving the last 500k for the next day, or whatever I had leftover from day 2.I showed up for day 2 around 2pm, just after taping started. Mori, the producer, was extremely nice. He let all of my friends come on set (there were not many people on set). He made me feel very comfortable there, as did all of the other producers and everyone working on the show.It was cool on set. Free food. Random pros walking around. I did some on camera hand analysis for a GSN.com feature, which I wasn't prepared for, but I think I did okay. I was watching the game for hours. Extremely loose action. People were calling down when someones entire range is ahead of their hand. I almost had a boner about it.I got into the game with 2 hours left of taping on day two. I don’t know if I can say exactly who was playing, but I’ll say that the table was very loose and aggressive (in a good way for me) and very talkative. It was the best game I’d played in all year. I was glad I got in, but bummed that I only had two hours. Not to mention that it was live and on a TV set, so I was probably dealt 40 hands the whole time. The players were very friendly for the most part. Jamie Gold was actually a really nice guy (I say actually because I didn’t expect him to be) and improved a lot since last season. Negreanu also played much much better than he had in previous years, and is a great guy from what I can tell. I’m gonna stop listing off players in case I’m not supposed to.I had 100k on the table and 100k in my pocket and was saving the rest for day 3. 90% of hands were straddled and a few were double straddled. That left me with ~40-80bbs effective. With that, and no one folding preflop, the game got really boring for me. I basically had to play 10% of my hands if I wanted to max my EV. Phil Hellmuth called me a nit, which is probably the most embarrassing thing that I can remember happening to me in my lifetime.I was really proud of my ability to hand read live. I was worried that I wouldn't to be able to pick up on things, but I was catching tons of timing tells and was able to put people on hands pretty well, which was what I did to keep busy while folding. There was one hand where I bet and got two really weak seeming calls on a very drawy board. I was really mad because I had the nuts (like 4th nuts, but clearly the best hand) but I couldn't check turn and let draws hit even though I was sure they were folding their midpairs with a gutter or oesd. I guess I don't know if my reads were right, but I feel good about them.There was another hand that I wasn't a part of where one player shoved the river for about 2/5 pot after check-raising the turn. The other player tanks, saying his hand is as good as ace high. People started to chatter about what he could possibly have, which made me feel awesome since I was 90% sure he had 88-JJ with one club and was calling the turn in hopes for a club to hit or a free showdown and was folding to a river bet. After he folded, Negreanu said that he knew the one player would never bluff there, and I thought to myself how I'd always bluffshove that river. I’m looking forward to seeing that hand to check my read.Overall though, it was a boring day for me. Lots of anticipation and only got the chance to play for 2 hours with a small roll since I was saving 500k for the big day.Just before going to bed that night, I was informed that 3 of the TV Pros from day 2 decided last minute that they wanted to play on day 3, and that I wasn’t good TV because I was so tight and didn’t talk enough to the players who don’t know me. So, I lost my spot on the table. To say the least, I was very mad. Had I not been saving $500k for day 3, I would’ve been able to play a much more open game. I guess nobody there had any idea of my reputation and playing style, because I have never been accused of being a nit before that day. Usually I get ‘station’ ‘monkey’ or ‘FPS-machine’. I also had less than 50 hands to show what I had. Hellmuth spent over 15 minutes negotiating and discussing insurance deals when he was all-in.Not to mention the fact that I had to fly halfway across the country and move $720k twice (not easy for me, and probably will get me audited) to play for 2 hours and get bumped from my guaranteed spot by people who have been on the show many times, live in Vegas, and aren’t affected at all by being on the show one more day.Another frustrating aspect of it is that I didn’t get a chance to prove myself. America still thinks that my whole Day 2 table (besides me) is full of the best poker players in the world, when I would’ve salivated over playing any of them HU. (Maybe wouldn’t have salivated over one or two but would surely be a favorite) I know that I need to get over this part. It shouldn’t bother me what the public thinks, and I’m working on not caring as much.After getting angry for a while, I looked for somewhere/someone to place my anger. That’s when I realized that there was really no one to be angry at. I was lied to, in a sense, which is my number one pet peave by far. But the players we almost all extremely friendly, and I’m positive the ones who wanted to play the next day didn’t consider the effects on me. Mori gave me a shot at being on one of the most watched poker shows on TV. He was nothing but nice and accommodating. While I’m sure he had a lot of say as to whether I got to keep my day 3 spot, I don’t blame him much for his decision. He doesn’t want to upset some of his biggest name players, and I didn’t show him anything on day 2 that he could show to execs to defend his decision to keep me on the show. As far as he knows, I am a complete nit and maybe not even good at poker.I think it’s really unfortunate that America would rather watch bad, loud poker than extremely high level thinking from the true best players in the world, but I guess they don’t know any better.I would love if someone would do a show where Me, durrr, Aba, and two more (Not saying I’m necessarily one of the best 5 online players and don’t wanna make a top 5 list) each play HU v Ivey, Doyle, Negreanu, etc. Like, we each pair up with a pro and play best of 3 HU 200bb freezouts. Each team puts up $2mm or whatever and whichever team wins most out of 5 splits the prize amongst themselves. Online pros v Live pros. Then maybe America would realize how it really is. Anyways, I’m ranting now.I didn’t have a good experience at HSP, but it was really nobody’s fault. Mori told me he owed me and would make it up to me. My friends didn’t believe him, but I do. He seems very genuine. Hopefully I’ll get my chance sometime soon.Oh. I finished up $20k! YAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!
Why does this feel like it was written by Ryland or some other nobody who thinks he is somebody?My favorite line is: "It was cool on set. Free food. Random pros walking around."Yeah, you sound like a real "been there - done that" guy.
Why does this feel like it was written by Ryland or some other nobody who thinks he is somebody?My favorite line is: "It was cool on set. Free food. Random pros walking around."Yeah, you sound like a real "been there - done that" guy.
How about:
I think it’s really unfortunate that America would rather watch bad, loud poker than extremely high level thinking from the true best players in the world, but I guess they don’t know any better.
Yea, Phil, We would all much rather watch players not say a word, make a bet or call with no explanation, then hear Mike Matesow needle Phil Helmuth. You might want to take an introductory course on television, cause mind reading isn't part of the requirement list to be a viewer.I for one hate seeing a person call a large raise with A8 off and catch and trap Phil Helmuth and watch Phil flip out. Hate it.
I like Eli, I think he is a very good and underated player. I thought it was really funny when Helmuth started to go on and on about how Eli thought if he had an A in the BB he would have to push like it was a tournament, and ELi said, No, I was just hoping you had a Jack. Definately shows the difference between tourney poker and cash game with that little comment.
Eli is terrible and played that hand terrible.
Eli is terrible and played that hand terrible.
If Phil had the jack would it still have been terrible? I remember Daniel saying that sometimes you just have to make a bone head play... What was everyones reaction to that again. Seems like he didn't really say what he really wanted to say there.whats with the online vs live poker thing? it's stupid. anyways to stir up some conversation i think live is much more .... interesting.
If Phil had the jack would it still have been terrible?
Yes because Phil would have folded most likely if he even made it to the river. Imo Phil was gonna call with every hand that beat Eli and fold the rest.

Just watching the 2006 Tunica event. Galfond and Brandon Adams are each shown at different points. Adams is playing at the featured table with Daniel and bluffed him off a decent pot. Galfond looks about the same as his HSP appearance.Alaei is also in this telecast.