Official High Stakes Poker Thread

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good episode last night! You gotta love Sammy getting Phil all fired up after he shows the 7. Still can't believe he calls 25K with K7os and manages to win a huge pot. Gold still being Gold totally misplays AK. Can you imagine if he calls then Phil calls an Ace on the flop and Phil would've gone on MEGA tilt.

So much for Phil Galfond's big talk..... He stated that the high stakes game was like a $5/10 NL online game in terms of skill level and that he was really annoyed that he was kept out of the $500,000 buy-in game in favour of another player, no suprise there then, he makes Phil Laak look loose!

So much for Phil Galfond's big talk..... He stated that the high stakes game was like a $5/10 NL online game in terms of skill level and that he was really annoyed that he was kept out of the $500,000 buy-in game in favour of another player, no suprise there then, he makes Phil Laak look loose!
Dude looked like a deer in the headlights......he had that "runaway bride" wide eyed stare going on.

Not a very good episode. They need a lineup change. I can only take so much of Farha, Elezra, Safai, Gold and Baxter.Also Galfond would crush this game long term. Im surprised he didnt call with the QQ that one hand either because he was against Sammy but then against he still had Eli behind him and calling may not stop Sammy from making a big bet on the river. Sometimes the cards can make you look like a nit and other times make you look like a lunatic. Galfonds online reputation seems to be one of a calling station when compared to other top online players, but then again when your sitting next to all the LAGtards at this table most good lags are gonna look nitty too. Hell look at Daniel if you only had last nights episode to go on, people would say hes a nit too just because he didnt play many hands.

Not a very good episode. They need a lineup change. I can only take so much of Farha, Elezra, Safai, Gold and Baxter.Also Galfond would crush this game long term. Im surprised he didnt call with the QQ that one hand either because he was against Sammy but then against he still had Eli behind him and calling may not stop Sammy from making a big bet on the river. Sometimes the cards can make you look like a nit and other times make you look like a lunatic. Galfonds online reputation seems to be one of a calling station when compared to other top online players, but then again when your sitting next to all the LAGtards at this table most good lags are gonna look nitty too. Hell look at Daniel if you only had last nights episode to go on, people would say hes a nit too just because he didnt play many hands.
You gotta be kidding me.... Well I guess if Sammy and Gold always play like that. But no way he would crush the rest of the table long term.
You gotta be kidding me.... Well I guess if Sammy and Gold always play like that. But no way he would crush the rest of the table long term.
OMG but he's an internet player so he would have to crush right??????????????? lolz
OMG but he's a no limit cash game player so he would have to crush right??????????????? seriously
FYPGalfond makes his living playing no limit cash games. Everyone else except Adams either play twice a year on HSP or are amateurs.
Not a very good episode. They need a lineup change. I can only take so much of Farha, Elezra, Safai, Gold and Baxter.Also Galfond would crush this game long term. Im surprised he didnt call with the QQ that one hand either because he was against Sammy but then against he still had Eli behind him and calling may not stop Sammy from making a big bet on the river. Sometimes the cards can make you look like a nit and other times make you look like a lunatic. Galfonds online reputation seems to be one of a calling station when compared to other top online players, but then again when your sitting next to all the LAGtards at this table most good lags are gonna look nitty too. Hell look at Daniel if you only had last nights episode to go on, people would say hes a nit too just because he didnt play many hands.[/quotetalk is cheap... lets see how he does next episode, I just expected a few moves from a guy who rates himself as the best holdem player in the world as stated in Inside Poker Magazine, not a weak play with QQ allowing a player like Farha to take it away so easy!

In the preview for next week I think I heard Hellmuth saying something like " Morey, you're supposed to be bringing in rich billionaires not nitty pros." He was referring to Gelfond and talking to Morey Eskandani the show's producer.This helps to explain why they didn't have him on the next day. He isn't exactly an engaging TV personality and his play for whatever legit reason was boring.

No one's really commented on Jamie Gold, so I just wanted to point out that he's impressed (or maybe it's mild surprise, I'm not sure) me so far this season. I think he's improved immeasurably since his last appearance and he's made some smart moves and also shown that he can lay a few hands down where maybe he'd have gone too far before.Yeah, he's made some silly comments like 'how much have you got left?' when his opponent had around $200,000 with only a few thousand in the pot... and he's made some of his comments when he bluffs that DN and Jennifer seemed to find so amusing because they knew he was bluffing. He seems to have some good reads, and is using his position well.. esp with tilty/super loose Sammy on his right and fishy Safai on his left. Good seat for him, but he's playing it well.He's good for the game I think, but I don't think he's the huge donk everyone saw last time.What do you guys think?

I think the guy can be phenomenal if he polishes up his talk a bit. I know that what i'm about to say obviously comes from bias after seeing the cards, but his demeanor when he shoved the AK vs Harman's JJ was noticably more comfortable than his usual schtick when he's bluffing.

galfond, poster on 2+2...posted why, a while ago, he played so tight on the first time he was there.i could find the link...but i dont feel like being nicebasically something like he wanted to play the 500k buy-in and that day he only had 100k on him, or something. i can't really recall.from what i remember he doesn't get invited to play the 500k buy-in...got really kinda screwed.- Jordan

galfond, poster on 2+2...posted why, a while ago, he played so tight on the first time he was there.i could find the link...but i dont feel like being nicebasically something like he wanted to play the 500k buy-in and that day he only had 100k on him, or something. i can't really recall.from what i remember he doesn't get invited to play the 500k buy-in...got really kinda screwed.- Jordan
I read his post at the time. He said that he played tight because he wanted so make sure that he still had the $500K for his buyin for the big show since he came to Vegas with not much more than that.I wouldn't say he got screwed if you view it for what the show is. It's entertainment and show business. His play in his first session was an audition and after the producers saw that he wasn't entertaining he was pulled so that other more "entertaining" players could take his place. If you're going to be boring you have to first have a very big reputation among the general public or you won't be invited back. The "Stars" of the show are people like Sammy, Daniel and Hellmuth and they are also not going to want to play with nitty pros for obvious reasons.HSP is an entertainment show and not designed to try and find the best NL Holdem player.
Well first of all this is a TV show so you have to have some engaging personalities (ie DN, PH, SF, JG) in order to keep the ratings up. He seemed to just be a kid that wanted to sit and play poker and not engage in anything but playing his game. Well that doesn't translate to ratings. So to say that he got kinda screwed is IMO wrong, because he basically screwed himself. I understand that it is his personality and if it was me I would play the exact same way. I wouldn't want to be a loud mouth calling out PH for taking an hour long break and he probably didn't want to either. The fact is it is TV and in order to make money you have to get ratings and lets face it, if there was no table talk would it really be that interesting to listen to Gabe and AJ all night. I think not.EDIT: What Bob said too!
No one's really commented on Jamie Gold, so I just wanted to point out that he's impressed (or maybe it's mild surprise, I'm not sure) me so far this season. I think he's improved immeasurably since his last appearance and he's made some smart moves and also shown that he can lay a few hands down where maybe he'd have gone too far before.Yeah, he's made some silly comments like 'how much have you got left?' when his opponent had around $200,000 with only a few thousand in the pot... and he's made some of his comments when he bluffs that DN and Jennifer seemed to find so amusing because they knew he was bluffing. He seems to have some good reads, and is using his position well.. esp with tilty/super loose Sammy on his right and fishy Safai on his left. Good seat for him, but he's playing it well.He's good for the game I think, but I don't think he's the huge donk everyone saw last time.What do you guys think?
This is a legit question.
This is a legit question.
Most of the time, yeah.I can't remember exactly how or what the circumstances were, it was around 2 episodes ago. There was something 'wrong' with it, like maybe he asked Farha before Farha had acted or something... anyway, it stuck out as funny because the whole table burst out laughing when he said it.Meh.. anyway, I think he's done good so far.