• Please log in to reply
6133 replies to this topic

#6101 Essay21

Essay21

forum legend

• Members
  • 9,828 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:46 PM

He was a great character, but never a focus of the show. He was the lone gunslinger in a show about the system. Stringer, Avon, Bunk, Cool Lester Smooth, McNulty. Then maybe Omar. But what about Bubbles and Marlo. Wallace? Deangelo? The show is the goat.

#6102 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,990 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:57 PM

View Postbrvheart, on 14 July 2018 - 02:30 PM, said:

I finally saw Get Out.

Spoiler

Still, I enjoyed the story. It was good.

I have been thinking about how to more fully respond to this, off and on for the past couple days. I didn't just want to be snarky, and give you a serious response, because I think you're being earnest, and you're not a horrible monster like Essay.
Spoiler

"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#6103 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,649 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:24 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on 16 July 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

I have been thinking about how to more fully respond to this, off and on for the past couple days. I didn't just want to be snarky, and give you a serious response, because I think you're being earnest, and you're not a horrible monster like Essay.
Spoiler

Thanks for the response. He has definitely dated white girls, since he's married to one of the main white chicks in Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

I didn't view anything about Get Out to be liberal/conservative. Sure, the dad mentioned he would have voted for Obama, but I think that could be viewed as any of the hundreds of lies he told and not specific to a "liberal bubble" or whatever.

I definitely appreciated the subtle racism throughout and explained it to the kids that watched it with me. (i.e. Mentioning Tiger Woods, Jesse Owens, Obama, etc) I enjoyed that part, and it you think the end was just standard horror movie fare, I'll believe you. That's just not how I received it.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

#6104 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

lovable loser

• Members
  • 25,285 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:10 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on 16 July 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

Spoiler

what you say here is obvious and true. the movie was about the "soft" racism of liberal whites. anybody who didn't get that must have been stone drunk when watching or mentally disabled - they certainly were not subtle about what they were trying to say. but that idea, that truth, doesn't make a good movie. the idea was clever, the execution was lacking. the main character is a great actor, his episode of black mirror being the best of that show, but he was left with nothing to work with in this movie. i just didn't think it was any good.

View PostRon_Mexico, on 23 April 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

Now that i've had a few drinks, I'm ready to admilt that the reason I dont post more is suited.

I hate every fiber of his being. He's awful and everything he writes is wrong, coupled with being annoying. Its uncanny how awful he is. If he was around when this thread was thriving, he would have killed it. Thankfully, he wasnt.

Maybe in the real world, he's not so awful (evidence says otherwise) but here, he makes me want to fight. Nobody makes me want to fight. Its beyond weird. I almost feel bad, but I dont

#6105 SuperJon

SuperJon

<3

• Members
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:07 PM

IT (Remake) - 6.5 / 10
I liked all of the actors. CGI effects were terrible. Not scary.

Justice League - 5 / 10
CGI was really, really, really bad. Predictable. I'd probably give it a 3 if I wasn't a fan of these types of movies.

#6106 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

lovable loser

• Members
  • 25,285 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:44 PM

WE OWN THE NIGHT

this was a movie that essay enjoyed, thoroughly. love a move like this, and thought it was really well done.

Now that i've had a few drinks, I'm ready to admilt that the reason I dont post more is suited.

I hate every fiber of his being. He's awful and everything he writes is wrong, coupled with being annoying. Its uncanny how awful he is. If he was around when this thread was thriving, he would have killed it. Thankfully, he wasnt.

Maybe in the real world, he's not so awful (evidence says otherwise) but here, he makes me want to fight. Nobody makes me want to fight. Its beyond weird. I almost feel bad, but I dont

#6107 Theraflu

Theraflu

I like beer.

• Members
  • 7,209 posts
  • Interests:Addictions

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:40 PM

Things I've watched over the last few months, with grades that will mean nothing without context, that I'm not going to provide:
(on a 1-20 scale, because that seems different)
Rampage: 10
Den Of Thieves: 15
(new)Tomb Raider: 11
Ready Player One: 15
Hurricane Heist: 6
Game Night: 14
(new) Jumanji: 13
I'd lend a hand, but it's stuck in the fist and gun position.

#6108 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

lovable loser

• Members
  • 25,285 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:50 AM

THE DEPARTED.

been a while since i watched it all the way through. one of the greats. alec baldwin killed it in the movie. damon was the weak link, but he played a sniveling little bitch pretty well.

#6109 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,649 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

Damon was so far out of his league in that movie. Marky Mark acted circles around him.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

#6110 Essay21

Essay21

forum legend

• Members
  • 9,828 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:33 PM

View Postbrvheart, on 23 July 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

Damon was so far out of his league in that movie. Marky Mark acted circles around him.

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe fvck yourself.

#6111 Essay21

Essay21

forum legend

• Members
  • 9,828 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:57 PM

The Snowman

I mean, did they run out of money while filming? This movie is missing 30 minutes of scenes and the ending was atrocious. Do not waste your time.

#6112 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,304 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:11 AM

I, Tonya

I found it a slog to get through. If I wasn't watching with my wife I probably would have turned it off halfway through. I liked the ending though.

#6113 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

lovable loser

• Members
  • 25,285 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:58 PM

View PostDubey, on 26 July 2018 - 08:11 AM, said:

I, Tonya

I found it a slog to get through. If I wasn't watching with my wife I probably would have turned it off halfway through. I liked the ending though.

was what's her face hot? any sex scenes a lonely guy like me needs to see?

#6114 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,304 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

not hot. No sex scenes. A few "implied" sex scenes but nothing got beyond fully clothed.

#6115 Essay21

Essay21

forum legend

• Members
  • 9,828 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:00 PM

Why do they even bother?

#6116 hank213

hank213

inventor of the tactical turtleneck..the tactilneck

• Members
  • 9,654 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

A Quiet Place - I had a hard time suspending disbelief. I don't think those people would've lasted as long as the opening xxx days after boards said. based on those kids they would've been gone in days or maybe a couple of weeks.

**** those kids most especially deaf girl.
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#6117 SuperJon

SuperJon

<3

• Members
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:39 PM

View Posthank213, on 26 July 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

A Quiet Place - I had a hard time suspending disbelief. I don't think those people would've lasted as long as the opening xxx days after boards said. based on those kids they would've been gone in days or maybe a couple of weeks.

**** those kids most especially deaf girl.

Horror/scary films with monsters rely heavily on the audience being able to suspend their disbelief.

#6118 hank213

hank213

inventor of the tactical turtleneck..the tactilneck

• Members
  • 9,654 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:33 PM

View PostSuperJon, on 01 August 2018 - 07:39 PM, said:

Horror/scary films with monsters rely heavily on the audience being able to suspend their disbelief.

Exactly. Years ago on another forum I was discussing the genre with a guy who has written for Fangoria and also published a horror novel whose approach I always liked. Once you require the audience to suspend disbelief far enough to accept your premise whether it be zombies actually exist, or vampires actually exist, or a doll possessed by a voo doo practicing serial killer actually exists; that's all you get. You can't keep asking them to incrementally further suspend belief later and then again even later. So I've suspended disbelief that there are these things hunting people and that they cue in on sound and that this family has survived how many ever weeks the first card says. Sounds cool, I'm in. Then almost immediately I'm expected to believe that in that time they haven't had to leave the farm and therefore, haven't figured out a strategy so they don't have to drag their entire ****ing family (including a 4 year old) on a quest through hostile territory that requires absolute silence. These little "asks" to suspend belief keep piling up until finally I'm asked to believe that when the deaf girl reads dad's note in the basement about the killers honing in on sound it's a revelation that allows her to suddenly put together to figure out how to fight them. As if they haven't been shushing that little dumbass the entire year or whatever.

It's an interesting premise that failed in execution.
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#6119 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,990 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:00 PM

I think if you didn't see the quiet place in a theater, you really missed out, because how alien the quietness is quite impactful, when you're in a giant theater full of people and you can hear every shift and cough people make echo in the giant space, as opposed to the barrage of sound you usually get in a theater.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#6120 SuperJon

SuperJon

<3

• Members
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:29 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on 01 August 2018 - 10:00 PM, said:

I think if you didn't see the quiet place in a theater, you really missed out, because how alien the quietness is quite impactful, when you're in a giant theater full of people and you can hear every shift and cough people make echo in the giant space, as opposed to the barrage of sound you usually get in a theater.

It was definitely an experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users