My 'quick 20 minute session' of $50 HA on FT (1/2 PLO, 1/2 PLHE) which turned into 2 hours of outdraws and missed draws. PLO top, PLHE bottom.yaypk3.jpgIt's a good job I like the colour red.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting day today. Started out by continuing to run god awful, playing 200nl 6max. I was then at about a -10 buy-ins streak for my last 1650 hands. THAT IS JUST SICK. I went out to lunch with a friend, came home and watched the baseball game (Tim Lincecum is crazy good and Zito is the 5th best starter on the Giants), and then started chating with Jordon. Anyways, 5 hours later I am a $100nl HU player. Fun hands of the night:how is it possible to go on just a such bad run when players are THIS bad:http://www.pokerhand.org/?1122503how do I not go bust here? oh yeah, players are THAT bad at HU too!http://www.pokerhand.org/?1124272graph for the day, see if you can spot where I started playing HU (hint: look at the bottom of the graph)HU.jpg

Played live poker last night for the first time in over a month and was not satisfied. 2 hours of 2-5NL at a profit of $30 but I left a lot of money on the table.Hand of note: I have 7h5h in the BB, MP minraises to 10, SB calls and three of us take a flop of Q-7-4. MP bets 10 and all call to a turn of 5. Ordinarily I bet out here but MP has a habit of overbetting pots on the turn with very little and this is a great spot to check raise. On cue he bets 75. SB then pushes for 162 total. Now, SB happens to be one of my best friends and someone whom I've played several thousand hands with over the years. So I think I know him pretty well. I thought for a few minutes and concluded that the likelihood of my getting my money in bad was too high, so I folded. MP had 5-4, SB had Q-9 so I was actually wrong on both of my reads. 7 on the river would have given me a boat even though I had the best hand anyway, though it did get the pot shipped to my buddy and steamed up MP. When we reviewed the session he called the fold an extremely poor decision.

I vacillate on putting together a buy-in for a ~$2k WSOP event. I chickened out at the last minute last year, but this year I have a job, which makes blowing a few grand on a tournament less of a financial problem. I'm a stereotypical product of the 2003 World Series. My friends and I at work got started on poker "with ****ing pipe dreams of winning the World Series on ESPN."It runs through my mind that I could try to win my way in through a satellite, but then I think, "I'm better at cash games, so I should put together the buy-in that way. Besides, lots of those tournaments have really fast structures that don't reward patience and skill."Of course, if that's all true why am I playing in the tournament (a fast one, at that) at all? If tournaments are my best way to make money, should I just forget it? Supposing I do play a tournament, aren't the Bellagio ones better? I think my poker career is based on a stupid pipe dream.

My last week has been hilariously consistant.+557+468+505+400+427+315+~500 (today)Looking back, i havent had a day where ive been up or down more than 50 bets for a day (at 10/20... my usual game) in over a month.

Of course, if that's all true why am I playing in the tournament (a fast one, at that) at all? If tournaments are my best way to make money, should I just forget it? Supposing I do play a tournament, aren't the Bellagio ones better?
I'm actually going through this struggle also. I've not had much success in live tournaments (or online ones lately), but I am planning to go Vegas for a month in June. It's nice to be able to say that you've played in a WSOP event, but the structures really aren't that great. I'm very much considering spending a lot of time playing the Venetian and Bellagio tournaments instead.

This is me reserving the right for the June thread. That will be the 1 year anniversary of the "goals threads" on fcp.And yes. I want the 2nd annual JUNE THREAD.kthx.- Jordan

My last week has been hilariously consistant.+557+468+505+400+427+315+~500 (today)Looking back, i havent had a day where ive been up or down more than 50 bets for a day (at 10/20... my usual game) in over a month.
over how many hands this week abba?
I think my poker career is based on a stupid pipe dream.
i used to want to be an astronaut. I have no chance in hell of that ever becoming a reality. ever since the day i learned that my dream would never come true for me. I said NO more. I will no longer not accomplish a dream. stupid pipe dream? so what, play in the wsop. even if you dont win, the fact that you played in the wsop is part of realizing your dreams
I vacillate on putting together a buy-in for a ~$2k WSOP event. I chickened out at the last minute last year, but this year I have a job, which makes blowing a few grand on a tournament less of a financial problem. I'm a stereotypical product of the 2003 World Series. My friends and I at work got started on poker "with ****ing pipe dreams of winning the World Series on ESPN."It runs through my mind that I could try to win my way in through a satellite, but then I think, "I'm better at cash games, so I should put together the buy-in that way. Besides, lots of those tournaments have really fast structures that don't reward patience and skill."Of course, if that's all true why am I playing in the tournament (a fast one, at that) at all? If tournaments are my best way to make money, should I just forget it? Supposing I do play a tournament, aren't the Bellagio ones better? I think my poker career is based on a stupid pipe dream.
winning a huge high stakes tournament with a field the size of a small city a stupid pipe dream? probably.becoming a consistent winner at low or even mid stakes? very hard and a lot of work for most people but definitely also doable for most people.maybe you should set your goals at a place where you have a shot of achieving them?
stupid pipe dream? so what, play in the wsop. even if you dont win, the fact that you played in the wsop is part of realizing your dreams
Also very true. If you want to play at that level and can afford it maybe just do it realizing that you're doing it for fun.
Do you have links to structure sheets for any of these tournies?Same with the WSOP ones... I wanted to compare. I know the structure sheets for the WSOP are on their homepage, but the links weren't working for me.EDIT - It is effing crazy that these guys are trying to hold these events at the same time as the WSOP...

From what I understand, the Venetian and Bellagio tournaments have excellent structures and the buy-ins are mostly more in my ballpark.Doesn't include structures, but it lists the starting stacks: http://www.venetian.com/VenetianEng/Assets.../deepstack2.pdfBellagio's is similar: http://www.bellagio.com/pages/gaming_poker...lagio_cup_3.asp

I've been contracted to enfore Jordan's wishes...I will delete any counterfeit goals thread.
that and its way too early to make a june goals thread with a week left in the month

Played some PLO for the first time in months. Went well. Won two nice pots with essentially unimproved aces.

that and its way too early to make a june goals thread with a week left in the month
I took a shot at it, but it ended up in thread heaven. WTF Zach?
I took a shot at it, but it ended up in thread heaven. WTF Zach?
I warned you.I left it up long enough for Jordan to see it, but then it was no longer needed. Gotta keep this place clean yo.
I warned you.I left it up long enough for Jordan to see it, but then it was no longer needed. Gotta keep this place clean yo.
LOL, J/K. I'll assume you just moved it to the off topic hockey forum anyways.
Why not just come down to Vegas, play cash games for a while and play a $1500 event if you do well or otherwise fly home? (I think those are the smallest available.) I guess an important question here though would be what level cash games do you play normally (or at least feel comfortable playing)? If $1500 is an acceptable loss for you that wouldn't be a big deal if you lost it playing cash games, then take a shot. The World Series only comes around once a year. If it's a serious expense though, it might not be such a good idea as your chances of cashing are pretty small, and your chances of actually winning more than double your buy-in are much smaller yet.