Random Hockey Observations

I imagine for nearly 3x the price for the rights this time around, and the fact that it'll be a 10-year deal, I imagine they'll try to get it on tv more often. I would hope, anyways. With this kind of commitment, they should definitely be trying to sell the game as much as possible.
Agreed.
  • Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

They couldn't choose, NBC/Comcast had a right to match any offer.
Does that mean the NHL has to go with their offer? How does that work? I thought it just meant NBC gets to make the last offer.
I have a feeling ESPN would cut away from OT in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals if it went too long and interfered with a Tiger Woods tee-off.
The reason the NHL doesn't get much coverage on ESPN is because ESPN doesn't show any games. If they had a vested interested in the NHL, it would get more coverage. But regardless, the way they handle conflicts is that the beginning of the next event gets moved to one of their other many ESPN channels until the first event finishes. I actually don't care where the games are on, but it just seems to me that going with "the worldwide leader" is the better long-term decision.

hmmmmThe National Hockey League and NBCUniversal have agreed on a 10-year TV deal that will keep the sport on NBC and VERSUS, which will be rebranded, through the 2020-21 season.To win the TV rights, NBC beat out other bidders, including FOX, Turner, and the Walt Disney Company/ESPN. The deal is valued at $200 million per year according to sources, which would be a major increase from the league’s last deal.What does it mean for you?1) As league revenues go up, so will the salary cap, which means Ken Holland should have more money to play with over the next few years, or other teams like the Nashville Predators, may have more space to resign a player like Shea Weber.2) The upcoming Olympics TV rights negotiations may have a major influence on whether NHL players go to Sochi in 2014. If NBC wins those broadcast rights, expect it to happen, if they don’t, who knows.3) Every playoff game from the Conference Semifinals (2nd round) will either be on NBC and VERSUS. Also, every playoff game will be televised nationally, either on NBC, VERSUS, or another NBC/Comcast Channel. The newly branded VERSUS channel will continue to carry Game 3 and Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final.According to puck media guru Steve Lepore, the big losers are Regional Sports Networks, which lose coverage of the second round, and NHL Center Ice, which will lose the playoffs entirely.

The National Hockey League and NBCUniversal have agreed on a 10-year TV deal that will keep the sport on NBC and VERSUS, which will be rebranded, through the 2020-21 season.
OLN, to Versus, to ???

Here's a list of suspensions and fines handed out by the NHL during the 2010-11 season.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%93...sions_and_finesI realize comparing one incident to the other isn't entirely fair, but I really think the Kunitz elbow was worse than the throat-slashing gesture by Nick Boynton. Call me crazy.

Here's a list of suspensions and fines handed out by the NHL during the 2010-11 season.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%93...sions_and_finesI realize comparing one incident to the other isn't entirely fair, but I really think the Kunitz elbow was worse than the throat-slashing gesture by Nick Boynton. Call me crazy.
"Sloppy seconds"
The official map of an NHL rinkNHL fans learned something new this week when Colin Campbell revealed the existence of a "hitting zone" behind the net where, apparently, headshots are legal.This got me to wondering: what else don't we know about the NHL rink? So I dug into my old cartography library, and came up with this original map that lays it all out:5636544264_72cf1cda04_b.jpg

Wow, I just got off the phone with my dad, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in Bruins fans. He was down in Boston for the marathon this past week, and went to game 1. He's a Leafs fan, so had no allegiance to either side in this game, but he does hate the Habs. Probably not the smartest choice but he was wearing a Canada hat, and when he went to the bathroom, there was a bit of heckling (mostly in fun I'm guessing), but one guy got right up in his face and was saying stuff like "want me to call 911 buddy, want me to call them?". He just turned and left, but I mean he wasn't even wearing Habs stuff, and he obv wasn't needling the Bruins fans. Pretty lousy imo.

Wow, I just got off the phone with my dad, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in Bruins fans. He was down in Boston for the marathon this past week, and went to game 1. He's a Leafs fan, so had no allegiance to either side in this game, but he does hate the Habs. Probably not the smartest choice but he was wearing a Canada hat, and when he went to the bathroom, there was a bit of heckling (mostly in fun I'm guessing), but one guy got right up in his face and was saying stuff like "want me to call 911 buddy, want me to call them?". He just turned and left, but I mean he wasn't even wearing Habs stuff, and he obv wasn't needling the Bruins fans. Pretty lousy imo.
I hope it didn't ruin your father's experience.