**official Mma Thread**

Yea I remember at the time that Dana said it might not happen in June then Montreal was announced for May and I thought there was no way they would have 2 Canadian events a month apart. So pumped. Having a Vegas week 2 weeks before kinda sucks cuz you know that card will be a priority for the UFC. Be awesome to have a championship fight but I wont hold my breathe.
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

excited for WEC.I think it would be a mistake for GSP to do the Olympics. I don't care how much money you have, it is dumb to pass up UFC money for Olympic wrestling which will probably be aired on CNBC or something.

Pretty interesting to see Gomi on the UFC event the other day. I read on sherdog they're giving him Florian. Pretty interesting fight imo. I've not seen many of Gomi's recent fights, but I remember BJ basically tooling him at jits in their first fight. Thoughts on whether he can beat Florian and set up a BJ vs Gomi 2?

Pretty interesting to see Gomi on the UFC event the other day. I read on sherdog they're giving him Florian. Pretty interesting fight imo. I've not seen many of Gomi's recent fights, but I remember BJ basically tooling him at jits in their first fight. Thoughts on whether he can beat Florian and set up a BJ vs Gomi 2?
Florian looked like a beast dismanteling Guida and I think he beats Gomi too. If he can beat Florian he should get an immediate shot at BJ.

Got called into work for an hour right when the ME was gonna start:(Sadollah looked really good again and appears to learn and improve rapidly. He is very confident in the stand up game even though he got rocked by Hendricks. Just wish he didnt go for the immediate take down when he had Blackburn rocked a couple of times. I honestly think he can become a contender in a year or 2 if his game progresse like it has. Maybe another baby step up in competition and if he continues to progress maybe a gatekeeper like Davis or Swick.Simpson/Lawlor probally should have been a draw but I can seeSimpson eeking out the second and having a really good third. Nice comeback and a good fight.Meh I see Leben won and will probally stick around.

The fights tonight were really good leading up to the main event. My favorite was the Efrain fight where Efrain had the guy almost knocked out in the 1st round, then in the 3rd round the guy finished Efrain with an arm bar. I wonder what Efrain was thinking when the guy had him in the arm bar for so long... was it I can't tap out I have too much pride? Because the guy was tearing Efrain's arm off and it took him way too long too tap out and now his arm is all jacked up.I thought the main event was lame. They kept saying that Maynard might be up against Penn next. I don't think he is even in Penn's universe.Did anyone watch WEC last night? God, Jamie Varner is a weirdo. He gets choked out and he criticizes Henderson for wanting to grapple and not box during the post-fight interview in the ring. Well no shit Varner, you're a better boxer so he is going to grapple you idiot.Also, they were setting up a Urijah Faber vs Jose Aldo fight. I don't think Urijah can beat him.

Edgar gets crack at Penn's title--------------------------------------------------------------------------------By Franklin McNeilSpecial to ESPN.comAfter weeks of speculation, ESPN.com has learned that UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn will defend his title against Frankie Edgar. Sources told ESPN.com that Edgar was offered the title shot Monday night.Edgar (11-1-0) has won three fights in a row. In his most recent bout, he submitted Matt Veach in the second round at "The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale."During the victory, Edgar displayed improved stand-up skills. That performance secured the bout with Penn (15-5-1)."He has a real fast pace," UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta told ESPN.com. "He's got good boxing skills, and he is a real tough guy."We think it is the most compelling matchup that can be made right now." While serious negotiations for Penn-Edgar have yet to begin, no one foresees any difficulty making the fight a reality. Penn recently expressed a desire to defend his 155-pound title April 10 at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi.Word of Penn-Edgar comes one night after highly touted lightweight contender Gray Maynard improved to 9-0-0 (1 NC) with a win over Nate Diaz at UFC Fight Night 20 in Fairfax, Va.The chances of Maynard, who has a win over Edgar, being Penn's next opponent evaporated during his struggles with Diaz. Each of Maynard's past six fights has gone the distance and none was an eye-opener.His two most recent wins, against Diaz and Roger Huerta (at UFC Fight Night 19 in September 2009), were by split decision. Maynard's less-than-stellar victories may have delayed his title shot, but not his standing in the division"He's right at the top. He's absolutely right at the top," Fertitta said. "He needs a fight or so under his belt; he's done a great job."He won a decision against a very tough guy last night. He's right in line."As for why Edgar got the nod over Maynard, Fertitta got right to the point."Like I said, [Maynard] is certainly up there at the top. But right now, we want to put on fights that we feel will sell the best. Right now, we think that's Frankie Edgar, based on the fight that we saw last night."

Pretty damn good card shaping up for Versus first UFC Fightnight•Jon Jones vs. Brandon Vera•Junior Dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga•John Howard vs. Anthony Johnson•Clay Guida vs. Sean Sherk*•Spencer Fisher vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig*•Eliot Marshall vs. Vladimir Matyushenko•Chase Gormley vs. Brendan Schaub*better than some ppv's of late.

Pretty damn good card shaping up for Versus first UFC Fightnight•Jon Jones vs. Brandon Vera•Junior Dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga•John Howard vs. Anthony Johnson•Clay Guida vs. Sean Sherk*•Spencer Fisher vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig*•Eliot Marshall vs. Vladimir Matyushenko•Chase Gormley vs. Brendan Schaub*better than some ppv's of late.
That's a great card imo.I don't think anyone in the division can touch Penn right now. Edgar is similar to Sherk, and I expect this fight to be similar.Couture vs Coleman is an odd fight. I can't possibly see how Coleman wins it..........free advice fwiw.Jones vs Vera should be fun to watch. Vera has no clue how to pull the trigger anymore. I expect Jones to truly punish him.Gonzaga has a suspect chin.Johnson is a beast.Guida vs Sherk= boring.I've always like Spencer Fisher.
That's a great card imo.I don't think anyone in the division can touch Penn right now. Edgar is similar to Sherk, and I expect this fight to be similar.Couture vs Coleman is an odd fight. I can't possibly see how Coleman wins it..........free advice fwiw.Jones vs Vera should be fun to watch. Vera has no clue how to pull the trigger anymore. I expect Jones to truly punish him.Gonzaga has a suspect chin.Johnson is a beast.Guida vs Sherk= boring.I've always like Spencer Fisher.
When is Guida ever in boring fights?
I thought his fight vs griffin was intersting. And I actually feel like he won that fight.He usually is in fast paced fights, but that doesn't make them intersting.Guida has horrible stand up, decent wrestling, and great cardio.Sadly, that is where his talent ends.Sherk has great cardio, great wrestling and average stand up.This should make for two guys standing the whole time with sloppy stand up.I could be wrong though.........
always. Steve said it best.I like that Vs card as well, and I like the Couture card coming up, well, except the main event that is. I'm actually going to have to get cable or find a friend with Vs. Argghhhh
always. Steve said it best.I like that Vs card as well, and I like the Couture card coming up, well, except the main event that is. I'm actually going to have to get cable or find a friend with Vs. Argghhhh
F'ing Directv!
What? lol.Diego kicking him in the face, Huerta eating his fist and crumpling like a piece of paper, Huerta rallying back in the third round of a fight to finish Guida after losing the 1st two rounds.I mean, Steve has a point that Sherk isn't the best matchup for Guida to make it an exciting fight and that he's not like hugely technical, but are you HONESTLY saying those fights were boring? Are we even watching the same sport?
What? lol.Diego kicking him in the face, Huerta eating his fist and crumpling like a piece of paper, Huerta rallying back in the third round of a fight to finish Guida after losing the 1st two rounds.I mean, Steve has a point that Sherk isn't the best matchup for Guida to make it an exciting fight and that he's not like hugely technical, but are you HONESTLY saying those fights were boring? Are we even watching the same sport?
Yeah, we're watching the same sport.Guidas best fight was against tyson griffin imo, and I think he should have won.I think his fight against sherk could be boring for sure. I previously discussed my reasoning.I like Guida a lot. He has tons of heart, and I think he's great for the sport. Having said that, he is pretty much a one trick pony. He has a lay and pray style. Not his fault, that's his base. No KO power, and no real submissions. He won't ever do anything that really surprises me. Aside from perhaps taking a really good beating, or showing tons of energy late in a fight.I think it depends on the individual as to what they find excing or boring.When you envision boring fights, Guida is probably not the first who comes to mind. But I would much rather watch Machida than Guida. Machida is more methodic and actually has a plan and a purpose when he fights. Some people consider Machida to be a boring fighter, I don't.Guida never really evolved as a fighter. Koscheck, Griffin, Edgar, etc all have.Guida reminds me of John Fitch who I think is INSANELY boring to watch. Although Guida has less skill and talent.Anyway, I hope that Guida has a long and healthy career. He seems like a great guy.

Thoughts on having GSP/Hardy featured in the return of the 3 part Primetime show? I am kind of suprised as this does not constitute a bigtime fight imo. Thats alot of hype for one of the most lopsided match ups for a title in a longtime on paper.Hope the news is good when Brock Lesnar goes on ESPN to update his status tommorow.

UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar is ready to make his return to the Octagon.The 33-year old Minnesotan, who has been sidelined since the fall with diverticulitis, is slated to face the winner of the Frank Mir-Shane Carwin match at UFC 113 in Newark, N.J. on March 27.Related Video UFC 109 preview UFC 109 previewMore UFC Videos No date has been set for Lesnar’s return, but speaking on ESPN on Wednesday morning, UFC president Dana White said that Lesnar’s return will take place over the summer.“The winner of that fight [Mir-Carwim] will be the interim champion and will face Brock Lesnar this summer,” White said. “We’re hoping Carwin or Mir wins the fight and will face Brock, champion vs. champion.”Lesnar successfully defended his UFC title against Mir on July 11 at UFC 100 in Las Vegas, the biggest event in North American MMA history, and was slated to meet the undefeated Carwin on Nov. 21. But Lesnar fell ill in training for the fight and had to pull out of the date.The former NCAA heavyweight wrestling champ and pro wrestling star was originally diagnosed with mononucleosis. But after a series of complications, he finally diagnosed with a severe case of diverticulitis, an intestinal disorder, at a hospital in Bismarck, N.D., and had the diagnosis confirmed at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.Lesnar was told he’d need surgery to remove his colon, which would have kept him on the sidelines a minimum of 18 months and could have ended his career.“I prepared for surgery and started to heal myself,” said Lesnar. “I was in the hospital for 11 days, no food, no water, fed intravenously, lost 40 pounds.”Since the January diagnosis, Lesnar opted against the surgery, regained 30 pounds, and claims he is symptom-free.“It was a miracle,” said Lesnar. “[The doctors] were dumbfounded. They couldn’t find any signs of any problem in my stomach. It’s a miracle to me.”If the winner of Mir-Carwin is unable to return to action in a reasonable amount of time, Lesnar will instead defend his title against the winner of a Feb. 21 match in Sydney, Australia, between top contenders Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez.“It’s been a crazy ride,” said White. “Forget about the career side, this guy was looking at a different quality of life if he would have needed the surgery. The

Thoughts on having GSP/Hardy featured in the return of the 3 part Primetime show? I am kind of suprised as this does not constitute a bigtime fight imo. Thats alot of hype for one of the most lopsided match ups for a title in a longtime on paper.Hope the news is good when Brock Lesnar goes on ESPN to update his status tommorow.
Yeah, that surprised me too. They've only ran that series once with GSP/Penn II, right?