**official Mma Thread**

I know this is an MMA thread, but I have a dilemna that is related to the martial arts, not mma specifically.When I was in my teens I trained in kenpo and hapkido.Recently I've decided that I want to start training again, but I do not want to train in MMA.My reasons for training. I love the tradition/spiritual side of the arts. Self defense. Get into shape.The most effective style for self defense is krav maga imo. However it is completely lacking the spiritual side. It's a modern art. And facilities have rotating instructors. Much like a health club.I really like traditional schools. But I do not believe they are going to be as effective as krav maga in a self defense situation.So now I ask myself, what should I do. And of course the question then becomes.......which is more important, tradition or self defense.......Sigh.Thoughts/Suggestions?
Why not BJJ? Seems to fit all the criteria you listed. Sure, it's not a striking art, but it's as effective as any other martial art as it pertains to self defense (at least on 1 on 1 situations). It'll also fit the bill nicely for keeping in shape and maintaining the traditional and spiritual side of the arts. Also, and I have no idea how prolific schools are for this, but if there are any Sambo gyms around, that might be worth a shot.For what it's worth, as effective as Krav Maga may be in application, I have very serious doubts on the qualifications of most instructers. When it comes to pure self defense purposes, I'd rather just work with a boxing trainer who knows what he's doing.
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

I know this is an MMA thread, but I have a dilemna that is related to the martial arts, not mma specifically.When I was in my teens I trained in kenpo and hapkido.Recently I've decided that I want to start training again, but I do not want to train in MMA.My reasons for training. I love the tradition/spiritual side of the arts. Self defense. Get into shape.The most effective style for self defense is krav maga imo. However it is completely lacking the spiritual side. It's a modern art. And facilities have rotating instructors. Much like a health club.I really like traditional schools. But I do not believe they are going to be as effective as krav maga in a self defense situation.So now I ask myself, what should I do. And of course the question then becomes.......which is more important, tradition or self defense.......Sigh.Thoughts/Suggestions?
I have always thought that the tradition and spiritual side are much more important. There are big life lessons that you can learn. I trained in Kempo for 2 years and it was great. One day I hope to be able to train some in BJJ as Gracie was one of my all time heroes growing up.
I'm not in here much, but I saw this today. I figure it's already here somewhere, but I'm not looking through this thread for it.I don't think anyone has a problem with this though.http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/u...gina-carano.gifgina-carano.gif
I love how she just barely bits her lip,very sexxy. I also like how they slowed it down for even more sexyness... :club::ts:4h:5c:3h
I loce how she just barely bits her lip,very sexxy. I also like how they slowed it down for even more sexyness... :club::ts:4h:5c:3h
The little eyebrow raise at the end screams whore. I love it.
first time I am seeing this and it is hot as hell.
I was watching that show live and rewound it about 113 times. She's easy on the eyes. What's funny though, is the same guys that drool over her would call her fat. I mean, she can't even make weight at 140 which would mean she probably walks around at what, 155lbs at least? That's right in my wheelhouse.

Wow, excellent free card tonight on Versus and not a peep from the masses. I like Jones to destroy Vera, just take the fight to him. I think Gonzaga pulls the upset. I base that on nothing.Too funny, I have directv forever, and Versus hadn't been on for a year because of a contract dispute. I get cable when I move and not they work it out with Directv.

Not so sure Vera is just going to lay down to Jones. I think he has some unorthodox stuff Jones hasn't seen. I think it's closer than people give it credit for, but if Jones can steam roll Vera like he has been to people, I say give him a title contender, no more messing around.Love Gonzaga and JDS. If Gabe stands, I think he loses. If not, at least we'll get to see dos Santos on the ground.

I don't think Vera is gonna lay down, I just think he can't pull the trigger on offense anymore. He doesn't take the fight to anyone anymore. I think Bones is super aggressive and it gonna manhandle him, just like he did to Hamill. We'll see, I've been wrong before and will be again.

And thats a wrap. Jones did twice in the first minute that Randy couldnt do in 15 in taking Vera down. The dude is for real. Winner of Machida/Shogun please.
nobody loves Bones more than me but I think he needs to face the Rampage/Rashad winner, although I would bet my next paycheck that Rampage gets a title shot if he wins. If Rashad wins, maybe they do a number one contender bout between Rashad and Bones. Sadly, I know they are dying, DYING to give Couture one more title shot, so that sucks. That'll show how political it is if he gets a shot over Bones. Dana would never put Couture in there with Bones, Bones would absolutely murder Couture, IMO.
nobody loves Bones more than me but I think he needs to face the Rampage/Rashad winner, although I would bet my next paycheck that Rampage gets a title shot if he wins. If Rashad wins, maybe they do a number one contender bout between Rashad and Bones. Sadly, I know they are dying, DYING to give Couture one more title shot, so that sucks. That'll show how political it is if he gets a shot over Bones. Dana would never put Couture in there with Bones, Bones would absolutely murder Couture, IMO.
Rumour is Couture/Frankiln at 115 in the show titled "Would have been good 5 years ago". He is probally in no mans land where anyone who has a shot at getting a championship fight will want nothing to do with him. Meh maybe Thiago Silva wouldnt be a bad option as he is probally the best of the guys who really cant say no to any UFC fight right now.
Rumour is Couture/Frankiln at 115 in the show titled "Would have been good 5 years ago". He is probally in no mans land where anyone who has a shot at getting a championship fight will want nothing to do with him. Meh maybe Thiago Silva wouldnt be a bad option as he is probally the best of the guys who really cant say no to any UFC fight right now.
yeah, but the UFC likes pitting two fighters both coming off losses, so we'll see. Franklin doesn't want Couture and has said as much. It won't do anything for his career.It's the same thing with Cain and Dos Santos. That would be a perfect matchup, but they won't do it because it would put a loss on one of those two shiny new stars. Which I get, btw.
Sigh. No action for me tonight. But I would have cleaned up.After I watched Dos Santos and Jones fight, I thought to myself...... I am watching two champions for free right now.
I dont know if Dos Santo's is gonna be champion but he is deffinatly in the mix and will make for some intresting fights. It will take a guy with Dos Santos' tools to beat Lesnar but not sure he can do it. Yea Bones will be champ.

vera suffered three fractures in his cheekbone, jones has some nasty elbow strikes from the top, kind of reminds me of the razor blade elbows david loiseau had back in the day

Got Ben Saunders, Shane Carwin and GSP. Think Mir may be over confident in his stand up and will get ko'd early. Saunders is a beast and cant see him losing there. Got GSP at -720 which was off the highs of higher than -900. Was gonna stay away from GSP but there is no way he loses. Thiago is a more dangerous striker than Hardy and he got dominated standing and on the ground. GSP wins this anywhere, anytime he wants. I will go with GSP by RNC late 2nd when Hardy gets tired of getting GNP and gives up his back.

Agree with GSP. I think all Hardy talk is people convincing themselves that GSP is vulnerable. I don't think so.Ellenberger is a tough, tough guy. Those last two fights of his were very eye opening to me. Always liked Saunders, too. Staying away from that.Think Mir/Carwin is accurate. Will be really pulling for Shane. Gonzaga couldn't keep him down very long, hopefully Mir can't either. Being five round really benefits Carwin i think, longer chances to catch him on the feet rather than lose a technical decision.Not sure how Markham is supposed to beat Diaz other than Diaz pulling guard and not pulling off a sub and Markham getting a weak decision.Opened Almeida big and like it. Only worries are knee injury and weight cut. Baffled by the ads for this event. Where is all the hype for Fitch/Alves? Two top 10 p4p in a lot of rankings, something that hardly ever happens, and is getting totally overlooked. Fitch at +120 looks pretty but I'm not betting this fight, either.