phil ivey, a video game phenom?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for sports games, NHL 94 takes the cake
That's yet another reason why "Swingers" is one of my favorite movies --- that scene where they're playing NHL '94 was SO reminiscent of my college dorm.
I was just reading phil ivey's bio on full-tilt and it says that he was a video game wiz before he started playing poker. Anyone have any idea what exactly he played or how he was classified to be so good? I cant help but think of the movie starring the kid from wonder years who was a video game champion(it was just a big commercial for the release of super mario bro's 3).
The Wiz is hte name of the movie IIRC. Loved that movie.
It's called The Wizard, actually.The Wiz was, in simple terms, a black The Wizard of Oz, and had Michael Jackson as, I believe, the Cowardly Lion. *Checks IMDB* Oh, it was actually the Scarecrow. Oh well.Regardless, two movies you DO NOT want to confuse. :lol:Favorite games:Super Metroid is at the top of the list.A Link to the Past is also up there.Ys I & II for the mostly forgotten Turbo-Grafx CD is criminally underrated by "mainstream" gamers.Not usually a big sports gamer, but the SNES Tecmo Super Bowl ensnared me for awhile.Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was another game I spent a lot of time on.
I just loved how u could play the little spaceship game during the 2nd intermission.
Oh yea!! I forgot about that!!The original "Ice Hockey" game was sweet too. Picking the size of your guys. And cheat code for the crazy bouncing pucks and no goalie.

A boat game for the NES called Cobra Triangle. Man did that waterfall level piss me off.Zelda III for SNESOriginal Contra for NES (Beat it once three time straight without lossing a man...then got bored) up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-B-A-B-A --- 30 lives baby!

For our purposes, a drink is defined as one gulp of whatever alcoholic beverage you prefer. I find that beer works best, but mixed drinks could work too. We played to 25 once with tequila shots and everyone eventually puked, so stay away from that.Put the respawn time on 5 seconds and gather round in normal Slayer. Each time you die, take one drink.Take two drinks if: You're killed by a melee attack (not a sword kill).Someone snipes you (headshot only).Someone kills you with a frag grenade.Someone boards your vehicle.Someone splatters you.You are assassinated (sword is allowed).If there's a double kill, each person killed drinks twice. If there's a triple kill, each person killed drinks three times, etc.If you go on a killing spree, everyone else stops and takes three drinks as fast as they can while you continue playing. If you go on a running riot, 5 drinks for everyone else. If you kill someone while they're drinking, they owe you one more drink for the kill.Last of all, and my favorite: If you tag someone with a plasma grenade, they take 5 drinks.Multipliers are in effect, and drinks are commutative. For example, if you snipe two people (headshots) for a double kill, each dead person owes 4 drinks. If that second kill puts you on a spree, then they obviously both owe 3 more.Bet you can't play with 8 people to 100 kills before someone passes out puking everywhere! Let's just say that the sniper rifle headshot kill frequency goes waaaaaaaay down towards the end.

For our purposes, a drink is defined as one gulp of whatever alcoholic beverage you prefer.  I find that beer works best, but mixed drinks could work too.  We played to 25 once with tequila shots and everyone eventually puked, so stay away from that.Put the respawn time on 5 seconds and gather round in normal Slayer.  Each time you die, take one drink.Take two drinks if:  You're killed by a melee attack (not a sword kill).Someone snipes you (headshot only).Someone kills you with a frag grenade.Someone boards your vehicle.Someone splatters you.You are assassinated (sword is allowed).If there's a double kill, each person killed drinks twice.  If there's a triple kill, each person killed drinks three times, etc.If you go on a killing spree, everyone else stops and takes three drinks as fast as they can while you continue playing.  If you go on a running riot, 5 drinks for everyone else.  If you kill someone while they're drinking, they owe you one more drink for the kill.yah we used to do that to, but after so many drinks I'd rather be playing mariokart ya know?Last of all, and my favorite:  If you tag someone with a plasma grenade, they take 5 drinks.Bet you can't play with 8 people to 100 kills before someone passes out puking everywhere!  Let's just say that the sniper rifle headshot kill frequency goes waaaaaaaay down towards the end.
track & fieldtempestshinobidig dug
Track & Field was the best, but not in NES form...Only in arcade form. A friend of mine bought the trac-ball version and put it in his garage for hours upon hours of enjoyment. He was my best friend until I replaced him with a better friend who had Dragon's Lair in his rec room.

anything on Commodore 64Q*bert on NESCrono Cross for SNESNHL '94 for SegaTony Hawk Pro Skater 2 for PSHalo for Xboxthe japanese game in which you roll around picking up stuff for PS2Hearts(Shooting the moon is as good as pocket rockets!) for PCsand that little apple slider puzzle for Macs

I just loved nes b/c the games were so insanely hard and they went on forever. Teenage mutant ninja turtles 1, spyhunter, airwolf... were all terrible games but i couldnt stop playing them or playing 30 straight games of rbi basebal with two pitchers. Teenage mutant ninja turtles 1 (not the arcade one) was the hardest game i ever played.

Donkey Kong sux..No you suck!
"Mortal Kombat for Sega Genesis is the best game ever." Great flick.Sometimes, I've been known to post little inside jokes. No real reason, really, I just want to know if people out there are cool/weird/dorky/awesome enough to get them. When someone does get them, I feel like the coolest person ever.Just wanted to let you know I get the inside joke you threw out there.