With The Bankroll On The Line

sleep with me
Everytime someone opens this thread to bump it with a stupid comment, somewhere in the world, a little mini "actuary" falls to the ground dead.Please stop killing the actuaries...*edit* Oh crap, I just killed one...
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? You are sitting with the LAST of your roll! You don’t raise here unless you are willing to get it all in on the flop. You are in no position to do that. Just call his raise and try to hit before getting the rest of your money in. Anyways, as it stands it’s an insta-fold and walk. Swallow your pride and step down to a game you’ll be at least somewhat properly rolled in. I wouldn’t sit down in this game with that roll anyways. I am not straight gambling with the last of my poker money, no sir – not if I want to be a pro someday, anyways.
But that's the point. The decision to sit at this table and the decision to raise is so poor that he has no chance of being a pro. He may as well lose the money and get on with life.
But that's the point. The decision to sit at this table and the decision to raise is so poor that he has no chance of being a pro. He may as well lose the money and get on with life.
Careul, you just killled a mini actuary....And now I did too because you made me resond. DOH! 2 more down the drain... :club:

You should call because you are a crappy poker player to get yourself in this position.If you happen to win the hand you should pay your Dad back and take the rest and run . If you lose the hand , well that money would have been lost eventually anyhow.Gunn

is this a strat post? am i saying i was stuck in this position what should i have done?am i saying do i have odds to call?this thread started out weak and while bud's hijack was at least interesting, most of the responses like "dump your wife", "we have odds" and "you suck anyway" are boring (and at this point unoriginal).its so frustrating that the interest in this thread didn't spark a more interesting debate between the +EV play vs. the risk of going broke, but rather sparked a debate between 'don't play above your roll' vs. 'you don't get it.'

I'm back in.Because its so not close to a call that you can't debate it on the merits of +EV.Make us 90% and make us marginal long term winners and make the pot 3 yrs wages, and we can talk.
The interesting part is that once the pot becomes large enough relative to our future potential earnings to lean towards a call on the basis of dollar values, it's significant enough that it becomes a fold for a rational human being (decreasing marginal utility of a dollar and so on).
this thread started out weak and while bud's hijack was at least interesting,
I am glad you are ok with it.I just thought discussion was/should be over by then.
I'm back in.Because its so not close to a call that you can't debate it on the merits of +EV.Make us 90% and make us marginal long term winners and make the pot 3 yrs wages, and we can talk.
I don't think the size of the pot matters honestly. Are you going to withdraw all the money any time soon (or 2/3 of it) to pay rent, or is this purely a poker bankroll? If you add to the hypothetical question "You can take the money and buy stuff, or bet it on a hand of poker" then pot size becomes an issue. But if this is a poker bankroll that we're using to play poker and only play poker (maybe until we are at the point where we can sit without our entire roll on the table at one time) then it doesn't matter if it's $20 or $20,000.Part of the problem is that the more people from strat ***** about General being bad, the more people from General want to come over here and post stuff like "You're not properly bankrolled~!!!!!!!!1111one"

I won't complain about general, I'd like to keep that area for what it is.I think we can assume that at some point we can grow a bankroll and also w/d from it.It's not implied that all our money earned from poker has to be funnled back into the rollso 95% to win 300k pot for my last 5k bet if I make 50k a year, and I expect to make 10k a yr playing poker, pot size makes diff,

I won't complain about general, I'd like to keep that area for what it is.I think we can imply that at some point we can grow a bankroll and also w/d from it.It's not implied that all our money earned from poker has to be funnled back into the rollso 95% to win 300k pot for my last 5k bet if I make 50k a year, and I expect to make 10k a yr playing poker, pot size makes diff,
I don't think a 300k pot for 5k is within the terms of the original hypothetical though. We're talking about heads up with a chance to double our current bankroll. You're right that pot size would make a difference in that case, but we're talking about 95% chance to double our buyin, which would give us exactly two buyins for the current limit. In the case specified by the hypothetical question, then no, we don't.Not trying to get in to the "divorce your wife, lololololololol" line of bullshit, but I think the +EV from the enjoyment of playing the game and being able to afford stuff should matter. I'm not sure how many buyins I'd have to be able to win to take that risk, but it's far more than one.
I don't think a 300k pot for 5k is within the terms of the original hypothetical though. We're talking about heads up with a chance to double our current bankroll. You're right that pot size would make a difference in that case, but we're talking about 95% ..........
dude, 95% isn't within the confines eitherAs it is, there's no debate.That's what I was saying to Navy.and then I modified the parameters while maintaining the idea that we can't ever get more money for poker.
dude, 95% isn't within the confines eitherAs it is, there's no debate.That's what I was saying to Navy.and then I modified the parameters while maintaining the idea that we can't ever get more money for poker.
the original was meant to be modified. to change stacks, relations, chances, etc.i think the true debate lies in the idea of what needs to happen in order for this call to be correct. the correct answer is probably fold, take your money to another table where you are properly bankrolled. why flip a coin for your entire poker career when using skill and proper bankroll requirements you stand a better chance of rebuilding and eventually going pro? the goal is going pro not winning this hand. again a theoretical: say with proper management and skill (no matter the limit) we go pro 1/2 the time. if we call on this hand we will only go pro 1/4 of the time. if we fold we reach our goal 1/2 the time.
The interesting part is that once the pot becomes large enough relative to our future potential earnings to lean towards a call on the basis of dollar values, it's significant enough that it becomes a fold for a rational human being (decreasing marginal utility of a dollar and so on).
i think i get where you are trying to go with this but could you explain it so an idiot (me) could understand it.
i think i get where you are trying to go with this but could you explain it so an idiot (me) could understand it.
I like to answer for other people :PHis post assumes we are having to call (risk) a big bet to win a huge pot.And therefore the loss of Big $X here would hurt us more than a smaller loss in a smaller pot.I was (as noted later to Spider) assuming we were going to be risking a rather small amount to win a HUGE pot. I think Abba assumes simlar pot odds to the original question, even in my HUGE pot example .

Imagine a situation where you inhereted a million dollars from some rich relative, and before this you were dirt poor.Would you take a wager putting your $1m on the line on a coin flip, where you win an additional $1.2m for guessing correctly and only lose $1m for guessing incorrectly? I hope not.

• 2 weeks later...
easy call, with these odds i would toss in my wife as a side bet
if you are responding to the initial question, then no.you are wrong.and I am going to chop your head off.if you are responding to another part of the thread, well, ok. Keep your head.