With The Bankroll On The Line

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WE HAVE NO OTHER SOURCE OF MONEY FOR POKER!!!
Now that you're using all caps, they're bound to hear you.
your dad knows how much you love to play poker and gives you $2,000 to enjoy yourself. you have dreams of becoming a pro and this is your last chance to build a bankroll
Okay. Maybe bolding the text and using italics will help them hear you.
ur ghey:heart:
Nice comeback to Actuary's argument. Grow up.I'm completely on your side, though, Zach. The math that I did in my head agrees with your pokerstove numbers. I'm glad that I don't need to use a calculator to solve problems like this, and I'm also happy that other players are not allowed to use them at the poker tables.Face it, though; no one on either side of the argument will be convinced by anyone on the other side. Everyone's got their own way of thinking and that's one of the factors that gives some people an advantage.
If you're going to re raise to 900, you are positioning yourself for the call of your entire stack.
I agree. This is basically pricing yourself, and the other player, to go all in.
This question is silly, lol. First off, why reraise the flop, I like to call.
Good point. If you don't want to be priced in for all in, a call is the way to go.
Bingo. Why the re-raise? Moron.
Irrelevant. It's part of the original hypothetical.
The only +EV decision is to fold and cash out.That being said, I probably call if I got myself into this mess. The odds are good enough to warrant risking not playing poker again. It's just not a +EV decision.
Make up your mind.
IF WE LOSE..WE HAVE NO MORE MONEY FOR POKER!!!EVER!
They still don't hear you, A. Try increasing the font size and, maybe, changing the color. The caps aren't working.
I think we are in complete agreement then.
I don't think so.
There's two choices here. 1) If we suddenly had an awakening in the middle of the hand that we should not be in a 20/40 NL game right now, and are planning on cashing out and going to the 3/6 limit tables afterward, than sure this is a fold.2) If however, we're still planning on playing in this game "because of all the donkeys" or had any plan at all, then this is a definite call, because we can't expect to find another edge this big. Honestly, unless the other players literally play with their cards face up, there's no way we can do better than the current situation.
If these considerations would have been factored into the question, the answer would be easier for most people.
ask him to run it twice. if he says yes, call. if no, fold.
LOL :club::D:D
my head just exploded. dumb dumb dumb idiots
exploding-head.gifAs opposed to smart idiots?
I read only a few posts but get the drift. You have only $2,000 and yet played that huge game. You have risked 40% of your stack up to this point. You for certain call. If you lose you quit poker forever and slap yourself around for a few years for playing in that huge game. If you win you drop way down to $1/$2 NL or $10/$20 L and then win a bunch, move up and TPMM.
As they say on Family Feud: "Good answer, good answer !!!"
I read only a few posts but get the drift. You have only $2,000 and yet played that huge game. You have risked 40% of your stack up to this point. You for certain call. If you lose you quit poker forever and slap yourself around for a few years for playing in that huge game. If you win you drop way down to $1/$2 NL or $10/$20 L and then win a bunch, move up and TPMM.
As they say on Family Feud: "Good answer, good answer !!!"
it took you 9 days to come up with that dumbass response.shut the fuck up
Careful. A's starting to lose his composure.
Stick to the OP, where it's implied WE CANT EVER GET MONEY FOR POKER AGAIN
It wasn't even implied. He came out and said, "this is your last chance to build a bankroll."
I will come to your house and pull your nose off if you say we should call here ever again.
Oh, we definitely have to call here. I live at One Borgata Way Atlantic City, NJ 08401I'll be home on Saturday, if you'd like to stop by.
Easy call. We win this almost half the time, and we're getting good odds on our money. Think about it: if you call you win a lot of the time and end up with a big stack. Anyone who says that this is a fold knows nothing about pot odds or equity. It's really simple, people. I haven't looked at the responses at all...
Good answer, good answer.
but I'm sure that everyone agrees with me .
Believe it, or not, some people just don't understand.
I will kill you.But I"m laughing too hard.
That line about pulling off my nose got me laughing harder than I can remember laughing before. I could just see your expression when you typed it.
You did not get me!!See, I know you're too smart.
There are a few smart ones here.
ok.whatever.I'm coming to get your nose
I'm next !!!
I'm castrating you.And shoving your one ball down your throatMy cutoff... likely 99.92%
What happened to that thing with his nose? Or did you already do that to him and he's just asking for more?
If you're so scared about risk that you'd fold with such a clear advantage, then how the hell did you get in the game in the first place?
Great question !!!
Actuary,Let this thread die. We all get your point.
Some of us don't.
I need to ask a question about odds but i didn't want to open a new thread so instead i am gonna hijack this one.
No hijack. Start a new thread next time.
I think we call. We can always put more money in the bankroll, right?icon_dance.gif icon_dance.gif icon_dance.gif
Are you answering the op's question or the hijack?Be careful; Actuary's gonna go after your nose !!!
Everytime someone opens this thread to bump it with a stupid comment, somewhere in the world, a little mini "actuary" falls to the ground dead.Please stop killing the actuaries...*edit* Oh crap, I just killed one...
I killed a couple of dozen today. Oh well; there are hundreds more waiting.
You should call because you are a crappy poker player to get yourself in this position.If you happen to win the hand you should pay your Dad back and take the rest and run . If you lose the hand , well that money would have been lost eventually anyhow.
Now that's one of the best answers that I've heard yet.
I"m out.
You'll be back.
I'm back in.
I thought so.
if you are responding to the initial question, then no.you are wrong.and I am going to chop your head off.if you are responding to another part of the thread, well, ok. Keep your head.
So I guess that thing with the nose was not enough? Now you have to have more?I think that you should call 1-800-cut-nose for help.

Fold. Go back down to micro limits and grind your way up. This question is ALL about risk of ruin.You have a 57% chance of going broke here. If you fold, you can almost guarantee building your way back up from lower limits.

Fold. Go back down to micro limits and grind your way up. This question is ALL about risk of ruin.You have a 57% chance of going broke here. If you fold, you can almost guarantee building your way back up from lower limits.
hahah you actually responded to the question.

if this is all about risk of ruin how about make the question like this:what kind of odds would you need to be layed to risk the last of your bankroll if once you busted out you had to quit playing poker professionally. Then you can argue that no odds are good enough or whatever.oryou just lost the last hand, down to your last 1200 with AA in the hole and the guy before you goes all in and has you covered, do you call or move to a lower limit with your rollyou can ask the same theoretical question without such a convoluted backstory, then maybe actuary will get the answers he so desires. if a gambler made the mistakes that the guy in the OPs story made, that 42% for all his money is the best chance he will ever get, and im sure his reads suck anyways we probably have more outs :club:

holyfield: how are you not seeing the OP as a clear RoR question, as stated?antistuff: you can't defend the call under the scenario given.and don't worry about Dane, all.He was shown to have inferior math/logic skills when he tried to argue that the Deal or No Deal show mimics the Monty Hall problem when we have 3/2 cases left. He changed his mind but never was man enough to admit it. When someone loses respect among the intelligent posters here, it probably hurts a bit.I don't take him seriously. He jokes.

if this is all about risk of ruin how about make the question like this:what kind of odds would you need to be layed to risk the last of your bankroll if once you busted out you had to quit playing poker professionally. Then you can argue that no odds are good enough or whatever.
That's what NavyButtons said, essentially.******************8BudBundy,I'd have to diagree with the deterioration of the women in my avitars.Maybe some photos are better than others, yeah.

*if you dont want to read this whole post i sum it up in bold at the bottom*i dont see it as clear RoR because we get the reigns way too late in the scenario and are asked to make an absurd decision. try asking where this guy went wrong, that would be a better discussion and would serve the same goal.you try to handcuff the answers too much to make it viable. its like asking a question and saying you can only answer it yes or no. So many ridiculous decisions and situations are involved in it before we come in people cant help but point them out, hypothetical or not. then on top of that half of the best answers you basically say nope cant do that....just cause. its too far from reality after we take control.all the fluff to "disguise" the real reason for the question as to get a real answer and see where someone is at in their thinking hurts it too. we can all see what the question is meant to be, its just dumb with that background and rules.its not a true RoR if you take away our ability to gain a new roll even if it is miniscule compared to original. if playing poker is so important to the guy he shouldnt have set himself up like this, he pot committed himself, now to pay the piper(this guy has many problems with his thought process). this isnt a situation that the other players could put you in. no pro should ever be here and he is the only person that could get himself into this, but if he did willingly get here as the schmuck in the OP scenario......he MUST be willing to go broke here. so there is your answer, if you are willing to put yourself in this situation you MUST go broke at this spot. are you asking if i would go broke here? no because i would never get here, id have the full roll at the lower limit not risking it all at once.now if i was just dropped into this guys body in the middle of this i would still call and go broke or go up.......the only catch is if i lost i WOULD rebuild my roll, you can say no you cant do that but if i have to be dropped into this guys murky situation i gonna be dropped into it in reality so we can deal with RoR in the real world not some fantasy one. hypothetical is fine, but once i get in control we are in the real world where you cant just say, its impossible to build a roll. maybe if he was playing with more and stood to lose a substantial amount behind i would fold it but with only 500 bucks, i could put my wife on the corner and get that in 2 days.moral of whole post: situation is bogus because poster wants us to make decisions based on living in a fantasy world where you cant rebuild rolls and there are 2 suns.....in that world i fold, in real world same situation i call.

*if you dont want to read this whole post i sum it up in bold at the bottom*moral of whole post: situation is bogus because poster wants us to make decisions based on living in a fantasy world where you cant rebuild rolls and there are 2 suns.....in that world i fold, in real world same situation i call.
I did skip.Your scenario posted in above post is also fantasy; yet, you say that would've made the answer more clear.Not being able to interpret the scenario and it's implications is sad. Just because it's unrealistic**********Here..how is this less unrealistic?Please think before responding to me
if this is all about risk of ruin how about make the question like this:what kind of odds would you need to be layed to risk the last of your bankroll if once you busted out you had to quit playing poker professionally. Then you can argue that no odds are good enough or whatever.

I haven't read the responses yet.Something is wrong with the original post (I am not flaming ya, navybutton, and of course I understand your points: hero doesn't wanna go broke so he should fold and there are plenty of bad players at the table so we can wait for other shots). 1, The tightest (I mean, as you said, the tightest player in the world) player is less likely calling preflop raise with JJ/TT. 2. Hero is destined to go broke since he bought in his entire 2k in the 20/40 table (that's just 50BB), and if he cares about his BR, he should be calling instead of raising the flop to gamble, since he raised it's highly likely that this type of player will move in. So he doesn't go broke this hand he will be in the others.But again, good read and good points about BR management.

Hmm, I scanned the rest of the posts and I like this one."Imagine a situation where you inhereted a million dollars from some rich relative, and before this you were dirt poor.Would you take a wager putting your $1m on the line on a coin flip, where you win an additional $1.2m for guessing correctly and only lose $1m for guessing incorrectly? I hope not."

why is this still being discused?grow some hair on your balls (or whatever you got) and call.
Some people here aren't old enough for that. Give 'em a few years.
Actuary is going to kill you.
First it's the nose, then the head...It's gone too far. He needs help.
ive done my homework and im prepared to defend this one to the death :club:
Careful. After your nose and head are missing, that's the next step.
Dane, stop responding to every post. No one cares.
Apparently, you care. Otherwise, you wouldn't ask me to stop.
Dane, stop responding to every post. No one cares.
Now that you've said this twice, I know that you really care.
hows that?
I've pretty much laid it out.You have to assume that we never can play poker again for money if we lose this hand. That was the point of the post. Risk of Ruin.Being even 50% on this hand to win a big pot is not worth never playing again.We also have the assumption that we are a good player and should expect to make money in the future from poker. You also have to ignore the fact we are too dumb to know to not sit in this game with 2k. Changing the parameters of the OP, one can find a call. But not laid out as it was.