I was recently watching the WPT "By the Book" show and Mike Caro made a funny comment. He said that if aliens came to the planet and we had to pick one representative to play poker with them for control of the earth that we should pick him. I was just wondering who any of you would pick. I would pick Will Smith because he always kicks ass against aliens.

I am commenting not because of Mike Caro or poker but because of the Will Smith/ Alien comment.I love the Men In Black ride at Universal Studios in Orlando. I have been on it at least 400-500 times (annual pass and a short cut to get back in line- a tip from one of the workers). Anyway, I have gotten a perfect score (999,999) numerous times. Its funny, because no one expects me to rack up the points. My son and I always go on seperate cars. We compete with each other. If you ever get a chance to go to orlando, you have to check out this ride. It is awesome!

lol, yeah I distinctly remember him saying that cause after I watched him play I was like, well i hope aliens dont come.how successfull a poker player is Mike Caro anyway? he seems more like a "guru" to meanyhow I would pick Will Smith as well, anyone seen Hitch?the reason I wouldn't pick Ivey is cause hes one of them

yeah caro is a douche, he thinks he's the greatest but he's really just a loudmouth. yeah i mean he knows what he's talking about, but he's not comparable as a player to a top pro or in terms of advice to brunson or sklansky.and i wouldn't pick ivey or gus hansen or anyone because they are already aliens. actually i would pick gus. or daniel negreanu but thats all the canadian bias.

yeah caro is a douche, he thinks he's the greatest but he's really just a loudmouth.  yeah i mean he knows what he's talking about, but he's not comparable as a player to a top pro or in terms of advice to brunson or sklansky.and i wouldn't pick ivey or gus hansen or anyone because they are already aliens.  actually i would pick gus.  or daniel negreanu but thats all the canadian bias.
Yeah, okay kid. Mike Caro has done more for poker than Phil Hellmuth, John Juanda, Danny, Phil Ivey, Gus Hansen, TJ Clothier, and Doyle Brunson- COMBINED. I'd throw Sklansky on the list but that would just get ridicious. Sklansky has done a ton, too.But Mike Caro has been doing this for years. He's "the mad genius" for a reason- and in the past 30+ years he is the sole reason a lot of the pros find their way into the game. (Watch DN come and reply to smack me down, like he did to wrto lmao)
yeah caro is a douche, he thinks he's the greatest but he's really just a loudmouth.  yeah i mean he knows what he's talking about, but he's not comparable as a player to a top pro or in terms of advice to brunson or sklansky.and i wouldn't pick ivey or gus hansen or anyone because they are already aliens.  actually i would pick gus.  or daniel negreanu but thats all the canadian bias.
Yeah, okay kid. Mike Caro has done more for poker than Phil Hellmuth, John Juanda, Danny, Phil Ivey, Gus Hansen, TJ Clothier, and Doyle Brunson- COMBINED. I'd throw Sklansky on the list but that would just get ridicious. Sklansky has done a ton, too.But Mike Caro has been doing this for years. He's "the mad genius" for a reason- and in the past 30+ years he is the sole reason a lot of the pros find their way into the game. (Watch DN come and reply to smack me down, like he did to wrto lmao)
amen, mike caro is one of the best, hands down.DN smacked down wrto? i missed it! i'm going to search for it right now. :D aseem

i'd pick phil ivey because his eye movement would probably freak out the aliens, even if they had those tentacle eye thingsor i'd pick some PS players i've seen, because they would confuse the aliens with their terrible play, or just outdraw the aliens on every hand like they outdraw me all day and night. argh.

Mike Caro has done a greet deal for the game but its hard to look at him and admire his poking PLAYING ability when it seems all he does is theorize.I'm not saying he is a bad player at all, He has done alot for the game.I respect him greatly but in a different way then I respect, hellmuth, chan, doyle, slim, moss, gus, ivey or daniel.

amen, mike caro is one of the best, hands down.DN smacked down wrto? i missed it! i'm going to search for it right now. :D aseem
It was on the Sklansky/Ivey threads. I was all for Sklasnky and DN came in blowing smoke about his buddy.And I said "who won?"DN publicly apoligized.
Mike Caro has done a greet deal for the game but its hard to look at him and admire his poking PLAYING ability  when it seems all he does is theorize.I'm not saying he is a bad player at all, He has done alot for the game.I respect him greatly but in a different way then I respect, hellmuth, chan, doyle, slim, moss, gus, ivey or daniel.
not to sound offensive, but your comments are based on pure speculation. you see guys like hellmuth and chan, etc., play televised tournaments, but caro hates playing big-field tournaments. he's also basically retired now, as he's almost 60 years old i believe. caro dominated the non-tournament poker world for over 30 years. read some of his cardplayer articles in the archives, they're genius. what he did for the game in writing about the psychology of poker is also brilliant. if you've read super/system, even doyle acknowledges what a brilliant poker player this guy was. i don't think you can judge his "poker PLAYING ability" when you've probably only seen it once on that WPT episode.aseem
It was on the Sklansky/Ivey threads. I was all for Sklasnky and DN came in blowing smoke about his buddy.And I said "who won?"DN publicly apoligized.
ha, gotcha, i remember that. in all honesty, though, give DN some credit, i think he knew what he was talking about. nobody knows for sure, but it IS possible that sklansky did get lucky, so it seems like DN was wrong when he might have actually been right. but yeah, funny little episode then. :-) aseem

About "Crazy" Mike Caro:This is an experpt from Super System 1......" 'Crazy Mike' is quite an individual. His draw section speaks for it's self...but, more than that, I want to point out that Mike is the only one of my expert collaborators who actually wrote his own section. Every word you're about to read on Draw Poker was written by 'the crazy man' "" What's more, every one of the mathematical tables on all the forms of poker that you'll find in the statistic section were created, calculated, checked and re-checked...and are all Mike's. That very laborious and complex task was done on his own computer. As you'll discover, there are no statistics on poker that are more complete or more accurate.""Mike's work extends far beyond the confines of draw poker...and not merely as a theoretician-because, above all else, Mike is a player. He's not just the best draw poker player in the world-he's right up there with the best of them at playing any form of Poker. He's truly multi-talented. Poker teacher, Poker writer, Poker mathematician...and, above all, Poker Player."I have tried to read every writen word from Mike Caro, and in my opinion, he is one of the best in the world. But don't take my word for it.

About "Crazy" Mike Caro:This is an experpt from Super System 1......" 'Crazy Mike' is quite an individual. His draw section speaks for it's self...but, more than that, I want to point out that Mike is the only one of my expert collaborators who actually wrote his own section. Every word you're about to read on Draw Poker was written by 'the crazy man' "" What's more, every one of the mathematical tables on all the forms of poker that you'll find in the statistic section were created, calculated, checked and re-checked...and are all Mike's. That very laborious and complex task was done on his own computer. As you'll discover, there are no statistics on poker that are more complete or more accurate.""Mike's work extends far beyond the confines of draw poker...and not merely as a theoretician-because, above all else, Mike is a player. He's not just the best draw poker player in the world-he's right up there with the best of them at playing any form of Poker. He's truly multi-talented. Poker teacher, Poker writer, Poker mathematician...and, above all, Poker Player."I have tried to read every writen word from Mike Caro, and in my opinion, he is one of the best in the world. But don't take my word for it.
Mike Caro is the reason I'm playing poker right now. I started reading his articles on card player and got hooked due to the psychology of the game. Its also there I got hooked on some early articles by DN- where, in one, he mentioned fullcontactpoker.com and now you all regret his fine writing. :)Mike Caro, hands down, is my poker hero. (INfact.. while typing this because I'm so excited, I folded 92o from the BB to a flop bet when I hit two pair.. son of a bitch)I'm looking forward to late april when I can meet my hero in person.
I have tried to read every writen word from Mike Caro, and in my opinion, he is one of the best in the world. But don't take my word for it.
LOL. This made me laugh, but for a very odd and obscure reason. Does anybody else remember 'REading Rainbow' where Lavar Arrington would say that exact same line before he introduced another book? "This is a great book where katie finds a shovel and decides to bury her treasure.....but don't take my word for it." da da du (that little sound after he says it) OK, clearly I've had a little too much to drink tonight. :D
play 9-2 and hit two pair on the flop and fold?am I missing something hear? what did you play it only incase you hit the boat?
he said he got a free flop from the big blind, and accidentally folded when he hit two pair with it.he didn't "play it" as in limped in with it. he also didn't fold it on purpose.aseem
I have tried to read every writen word from Mike Caro, and in my opinion, he is one of the best in the world. But don't take my word for it.
LOL. This made me laugh, but for a very odd and obscure reason. Does anybody else remember 'REading Rainbow' where Lavar Arrington would say that exact same line before he introduced another book? "This is a great book where katie finds a shovel and decides to bury her treasure.....but don't take my word for it." da da du (that little sound after he says it) OK, clearly I've had a little too much to drink tonight. :D
LaVar Bourton.Sorry, I'm a Star Trek fan, loland yeah I was in the big blind, had 92o- and flopped, what I saw, bottom pair with my 2's. I didn't even notice I had a 9 and hit fold. And in the split second my slow ass internet conection too to fold my hand I saw the two pair go out from under me. lol
I was recently watching the WPT "By the Book" show and Mike Caro made a funny comment. He said that if aliens came to the planet and we had to pick one representative to play poker with them for control of the earth that we should pick him. I was just wondering who any of you would pick. I would pick Will Smith because he always kicks ass against aliens.
Doyle always says if he had to pick one player to play poker in a game where his family's life was on the line he'd pick Chip Reese without hesitation.

Mike recommended himself because he is probably the only poker player that can relate to space aliens. he is an amazing theorist, and no matter what niche your involved in, there are pure practitioners and pure theoreticians, and some have the capacities for both. The tension between the ivory tower theorists and the almighty men in the field is ageold. A lot of players don't want to chalk there successes up to theoretical considerations, and a lot of theoreticians don't want to give credit where credit's due. the complementary nature of the two can only be lost on those who choose to ignore it. Mike is very accessible, I just chatted with him today while he was playing 50/100 online. He said he'll be in Boston April 26th, and PA April 27th for those seminars.