What's Going On In Canada ?

That's possible.As for comparing this to Columbine, as little as I know about this current on in Mtl, was Columbine not like 10x more tragic, with many more deaths?
Ok you're right. Columbine was worse. My mistake. There were 12 killed and 24 wounded in Columbine. With this one in Montreal I've seen reports of one to six killed, and up to 20 wounded. Not quite as bad as columbine, but still up there. Anyway, like I said, all I was trying to say is that people in Canada have unreasonable fears when it comes to violence in America. I say this because of my experience talking to people and watching the news in Canada. And I think it's a bit ironic that something like this happened there, and that I had never felt more unsafe then when I was in Montreal. That's all.
Read the whole thread...and basketball was invented in Massachusetts.
Ah yes, splitting non-existing hairs. Basketball was invented by a Canadian who was working in Springfield, Mass. A great example of the positive synergy between Canada and the U.S.http://www.nba.com/history/players/naismith.html
Read the whole thread...and basketball was invented in Massachusetts.
I was invented by a canadian who developped it at MCGill in Montreal and then brougth it to Massachusetts where it got it's name.So a candian invented it, we're the best! :club:
It's funny (not the shooting)...canadians have always been so high and mighty about how there is no gun violence there compared to America. In fact a lot of canadians are kind of afraid to go to the U.S. because they think there is so much violence here. I know from experience. I used to have a girlfriend in Montreal and I spent a lot of time there. Now they have something happen that is just as bad, if not worse than anything that has ever happened in a school in America.
You're an idiot. Now we have something? There was a shooting years ago in Montreal where a lunatic gunned down innocent people. Try not to make your happiness so apparent.

The US is a safe place, safer than even most Americans think.Canada is safer but sometimes things will happen.If you want to talk about danger try South Africa, particularly Jo'Burg :club:

Why and how has this turned into an American-Canadian issue?
I was just thinking the same thing.
Read the whole thread Digi.Flushgarden instigated the us and them conversation.
And it's dumb.
You can buy any assault rifle in the states, and not a one of them performs any different than a good hunting rifle.Automatic weapons have been banned in the us for a very long time.I just found it funny that people always consider a more dangerous looking weapon more harmful.
Sorry to disagree Alf...But the manufacture of new machineguns was banned in 1986. All of the approx. 350-400,000 existing ones are still avalible to us civilians. I own several of them :club: There hasnt been a crime associated with a LEGAL class3 weapon (machine guns,short barreled rifles,silencers, AOW which are pen guns and the like, or destructive devices) except for a cop that went off the deep end several years ago.We submit fingerprints and mug shots along with a local background check to the FBI for a much more in depth BG check. Upon approval (and the cashing of your $200 check to the IRS) you are allowed to take possesion of the item from the dealer. Once transfered to you, noone can ever have access to it unless you are with them. I keep mine in a vault, and by law my own wife cannot have the combination.The fine for having an UNREGISTERED machinegun is $25,000 and 10 years next to Bubba. Strangely, its not a weapons crime but tax evasion. The IRS issues a tax stamp and cancels it like a regular postage stamp.100_1098.jpg100_0581.jpglowrez.jpgscary huh? :D
Well-played. Let's just have a thought for all of those affected by today's tragedy.
Thank you for saying that. In the midst of this fighting we seem to forget why this argument started.
Americans can and do buy all sorts of automatic weapons, including machine guns. True, the government has made it difficult to do so since the passage of the National Firearms Act of 1934, which levied a $200 tax per gun on the purchase and transfer of such weapons, requires a background check for prospective buyers, and registers owners. The Firearms Owners’ Protection Act of 1986 then went on to forbid the manufacture of automatic weapons for civilian use, raising the cost of automatic weapons dramatically and placing them out of the reach of most Americans.
It is HARD to get one beans..reeeeeally hard for a criminal to get one.I still say that most of these anti-gun nuts are just afraid of what an assault rifle looks like. Most of these anti-gun nuts think every A-3 and AR-15 out there is a fully automatic machine gun..when it's not.BTW...can you turn me on to a nice short barrell AR-15?What am I looking at? 2.5k?
It is HARD to get one beans..reeeeeally hard for a criminal to get one.I still say that most of these anti-gun nuts are just afraid of what an assault rifle looks like. Most of these anti-gun nuts think every A-3 and AR-15 out there is a fully automatic machine gun..when it's not.BTW...can you turn me on to a nice short barrell AR-15?What am I looking at? 2.5k?
You can get one for the cost of the lower.... $120Upper.... $400Tax stamp....$200Engraving at trophy shop... $40A semi SBR is the cheapest NFA item you can own. Just fill out a form1 from the BATF and wait about 6-8 weeks for approval. After that you can stick on any length barrel youd like. The lower needs to be engraved with your name and address as the manufacturer after approval. Be sure and keep a copy of the approval with you at all times to show the local cops.You'll need:2 completed form1's2 mug shots (you can use passport photos from Walgreens)2 fingerprint cards1 certification of citizenshipYour local sherrif or chief of police to sign the back of the form1's$200 check made out to BATFEMail to BATF in WVMake sure that your state allows NFA. Some like MO,CA,NJ,and WA dont allow.Go to AR15.com and click on General class3 and read up on the short barreled rifle thread...You can make your own SBRs, silencers, and AOW'sMachineguns cant be made anymore except by class2 manu. selling to law enforcement and military... thats why a reg M-16 cost $12,000+ and Uzis and Macs are $3,500 to $8,000 nowA .22 silencer can be bought for around $300 and pistol and rifle cans are around $500- $1000You can get the form1's finger cards and citi doc at BATFE.com. It takes them a few days to mail them to you, but its better than downloading an out of date one from the webAlso, if you set up a trust or a corporation, the buisness can buy the item for investment purposes and eliminate the mugs, fingerprints, and citi formBeware tho... its an addictive hobbyAnd expensive! The 16 Zach is holding cost $3000 just a few years ago... I wouldnt take less than $15K for it nowBCC=7

Horrible what happened today in Montreal.............Since the thread has been hijacked I just would like to add that I am not the least bit concerned that Beans young son is holding a hand cannon, in fact, after taking in all of his posts over my time here, it really seems to fit. I am however deeply disturbed by the fact that Beans has a pink, flowery, box of kleenex in prime view in his kitchen.

Ok you're right. Columbine was worse. My mistake. There were 12 killed and 24 wounded in Columbine. With this one in Montreal I've seen reports of one to six killed, and up to 20 wounded. Not quite as bad as columbine, but still up there. Anyway, like I said, all I was trying to say is that people in Canada have unreasonable fears when it comes to violence in America. I say this because of my experience talking to people and watching the news in Canada. And I think it's a bit ironic that something like this happened there, and that I had never felt more unsafe then when I was in Montreal. That's all.
I used to feel very safe in the lovely coastal town I live in in Massachusetts, until the bombing plot was discovered at the local high school. The universal constant is now that there are sickos everywhere.As has already been said, the important thing right now is to pray for the victims and their families in Montreal.
Horrible what happened today in Montreal.............Since the thread has been hijacked I just would like to add that I am not the least bit concerned that Beans young son is holding a hand cannon, in fact, after taking in all of his posts over my time here, it really seems to fit. I am however deeply disturbed by the fact that Beans has a pink, flowery, box of kleenex in prime view in his kitchen.
It is disturbing....Thats why I have a garage/shop to hide in...mehLook at this crap.... keep in mind that this is at the cabin and the wife decorated in a "country" theme...*edit* I was trying to post another pic BUT this came up....THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUNDSorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowedWhat the hell does this mean?BCC=9+
It is disturbing....Thats why I have a garage/shop to hide in...mehLook at this crap.... keep in mind that this is at the cabin and the wife decorated in a "country" theme...*edit* I was trying to post another pic BUT this came up....THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUNDSorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowedWhat the hell does this mean?BCC=9+
The link that you put inbetween the image tags has to end in a regular image extension like .jpg, .gif, etcetera. If it ends in .htm or something like that, it won't post, because that's a webpage extension, not an image extension.

what is almost comedic about this event is that i watched it develop on CNN, and the coverage was hilarious.After watching several hours of footage, I went home with the knowledge that there were 4 gunmen, two of whom were dead, and 20 injured.CNN reported for nearly the whole afternoon that there were 4 gunmen. Amazing.Sensationalize much?

what is almost comedic about this event is that i watched it develop on CNN, and the coverage was hilarious.After watching several hours of footage, I went home with the knowledge that there were 4 gunmen, two of whom were dead, and 20 injured.CNN reported for nearly the whole afternoon that there were 4 gunmen. Amazing.Sensationalize much?
Much too much.
They were once reporting that Steve Irwin was ambushed by a gang of sting rays.