What's Going On In Canada ?

I just saw something on NBC about a school shooting equal to columbine. Any of you Canadiens know what the deal is ?
College shooting in MTL. 2 or more guys in trenchcoats entered the building and shot like crazy.

Yep, in Montréal. here is the link to the Canadian national newspaper:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home :club:

It's funny (not the shooting)...canadians have always been so high and mighty about how there is no gun violence there compared to America. In fact a lot of canadians are kind of afraid to go to the U.S. because they think there is so much violence here. I know from experience. I used to have a girlfriend in Montreal and I spent a lot of time there. Now they have something happen that is just as bad, if not worse than anything that has ever happened in a school in America.

It's funny (not the shooting)...canadians have always been so high and mighty about how there is no gun violence there compared to America. In fact a lot of canadians are kind of afraid to go to the U.S. because they think there is so much violence here. I know from experience. I used to have a girlfriend in Montreal and I spent a lot of time there. Now they have something happen that is just as bad, if not worse than anything that has ever happened in a school in America.
Quebec is not part of Canada.(sw)
I'm hoping you left off an SW there somewhere. Are you kidding me?
I'm hoping you left off an SW there somewhere. Are you kidding me?
I'm commenting on the attitudes of Canadians in general towards Americans and the way they incorrectly perceive violence here. I'm not making light of the shooting in any way. Of course it is a horrible tragedy.
I'm commenting on the attitudes of Canadians in general towards Americans and the way they incorrectly perceive violence here. I'm not making light of the shooting in any way. Of course it is a horrible tragedy.
I've never experienced these attitudes you speak of.It's a fact. We have less gun violence. No country in the world has NO gun violence, the USA just demolishes pretty much every country in this respect, perhaps without including the war torn countries.There is DEFINITELY an SW needed for your first post, indicating that this is worse than anything that's happened in the US. AINEC.GL.- Zach
I've never experienced these attitudes you speak of.It's a fact. We have less gun violence. No country in the world has NO gun violence, the USA just demolishes pretty much every country in this respect, perhaps without including the war torn countries.There is DEFINITELY an SW needed for your first post, indicating that this is worse than anything that's happened in the US. AINEC.GL.- Zach
As far as school shootings go, it is hard to find anything worse than what just happened in Montreal. Columbine is maybe equal, but that's it. No SW needed.As far as my experience there, all I know is that when I was there when people found out I was American a lot of the time the conversation evertually went to the violence in american and them asking what my opinion of it was, or asking how I handled it. Then watching the news there, everything is so sensationalized when it comes to violence in America. They make it seem a lot worse than it is. Maybe you've never experienced it because you've never been an American visiting Canada.

This is the third shooting at a school in montreal alone. At polytechnique in '89 16 women were gunned down. So ar i think besides the shooter there is 1 dead and some are still critical. Gun violence in canada is way lower than in the states, and this doesn't even come close to Columbine shootings, or that snipper a while back. Those were all done with guns that are banned in Canada who has way stricter gun policy than the states( is there even a policy or can you just go buy a freaking Ak anywhere). The shooting today was done most likely with a hunting gun, that was probably legal.There is just no way to prevent these inexcusable crimes. I was 4 blocks away from the shool in question at Concordia University and we hosted all the students who evacuated, there were helicopters everywhere and cops swarming, the metro was closed... pretty instense.

Actually I must add that at the time I had never felt less safe than I did during my time in Montreal. It's pretty scary there. My girlfriends brother was shot at on the street. And a friend of his was murdered (not at the same time). I have never personally known an American that has ever been shot at anywhere.

1 guy, cops gunned him down. Not sure how many people were hit, between 4 and 6 i think
Try 20.1 dead now, and 19 wounded....8 of them in critical condition.
In 1989 14 women were shot dead at another Montreal college by a "crazed" gunman. That was our "worst". Also, all Canadians don't have the same opinions.
You are kidding, right? I was looking for the SW but you forgot it I guess ... :club: Let's be clear here. There is substanially lower violence with firearms in Canada, that is a fact. That said, it does happen and just because firearms are restricted does not mean they are impossible for some whacko to get.High and mighty Canadians? :D That is funny. I have way too many friends, busines associates, and casual acquaintances in the states to even take this seriously. Like the states, Canadians are a mixed bag, the good, the bad, and the ugly (no bets on which category I belong to, so I will go with 'good' B) ) so you get a little of everything.Canada: different but not too different, ... and we *did* invent basketball so there is lots to be positive about.Whackos with black tranch coats and mohawks caring automatic weapons into schools: shoot them in Canada AND the U.S.A. Equal opportunity for those guys as far as I am concerned.
This is the third shooting at a school in montreal alone. At polytechnique in '89 16 women were gunned down. So ar i think besides the shooter there is 1 dead and some are still critical. Gun violence in canada is way lower than in the states, and this doesn't even come close to Columbine shootings, or that snipper a while back. Those were all done with guns that are banned in Canada who has way stricter gun policy than the states( is there even a policy or can you just go buy a freaking Ak anywhere). The shooting today was done most likely with a hunting gun, that was probably legal.There is just no way to prevent these inexcusable crimes. I was 4 blocks away from the shool in question at Concordia University and we hosted all the students who evacuated, there were helicopters everywhere and cops swarming, the metro was closed... pretty instense.
You can buy any assault rifle in the states, and not a one of them performs any different than a good hunting rifle.Automatic weapons have been banned in the us for a very long time.I just found it funny that people always consider a more dangerous looking weapon more harmful.
Last year 35 people were murdered in Montreal , over 600 in chicago. You are right Canadians are delusional when it comes to American violence.
Those numbers are a bit misinforming since Chicago is almost double the size of Montreal. But anyway, I never doubted that there is more violence in America. Of course there is. A big reason for this is we have a hell of a lot more people. My contention is that Canadians think it is a lot worse than it actually is.
You are kidding, right? I was looking for the SW but you forgot it I guess ... :club: Let's be clear here. There is substanially lower violence with firearms in Canada, that is a fact. That said, it does happen and just because firearms are restricted does not mean they are impossible for some whacko to get.High and mighty Canadians? :D That is funny. I have way too many friends, busines associates, and casual acquaintances in the states to even take this seriously. Like the states, Canadians are a mixed bag, the good, the bad, and the ugly (no bets on which category I belong to, so I will go with 'good' B) ) so you get a little of everything.Canada: different but not too different, ... and we *did* invent basketball so there is lots to be positive about.Whackos with black tranch coats and mohawks caring automatic weapons into schools: shoot them in Canada AND the U.S.A. Equal opportunity for those guys as far as I am concerned.
Read the whole thread...and basketball was invented in Massachusetts.
Maybe you've never experienced it because you've never been an American visiting Canada.
That's possible.As for comparing this to Columbine, as little as I know about this current on in Mtl, was Columbine not like 10x more tragic, with many more deaths?
Those numbers are a bit misinforming since Chicago is almost double the size of Montreal.
Yes because 35x2=600
You beat me to it...lol.I'd love to see a city by city comparison stat on the subject.Anybody see Bowling for Columbine?? lol