Pros Calling For A Boycott Of The 2007 Wsop Main Event

Nobody cares about who the world champion is except Phil Hellmuth. Most poker players don't have the need to validate themselves with a meaningless title, they mostly just care about money. The title was meaningless back in the 80's and it's still meaningless now. It will always be meaningless
Your statement does lead to the fact that the WSOP is polluted with alot of donks and people who believe it's all about the money.Poker's glory days were along time ago and it looks to me like none of you were there. Welcome to the new world of poker--"its all about the money".Man, the pros care. You just don't.
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your statement does lead to the fact that the WSOP is polluted with alot of donks and people who believe it's all about the money.Poker's glory days were along time ago and it looks to me like none of you were there. Welcome to the new world of poker--"its all about the money".Man, the pros care. You just don't.
hate to tell you this - but poker is/was/and always will be about the money.Do you really think the WSOP in the 70's wasnt? - if not, why didnt they just play "funsies" and crown a champion? - No they put up $10,000 of their own money.THEN - they added satellites - so lesser players could afford the entry fee..........hmm - sound familiar?
Donks are good for a poker tournament. I know that I wouldn't be able to make money without donks. The belief that donks make the tournament almost impossible to win is completely flawed. Giving people "bye"s to go deeper in a tournament goes against everything that poker is about. You're suggesting turning it into the NFL if they had open tryouts. Poker is great bc anyone can play. Pros were playing for money then, just as much as they are now. If you listen to Doyle Brunson talk, he'll tell you that nobody cared about accumulating WSOP bracelets before Phil Hellmuth. They wanted to win, but the bracelet or the title of world champion never meant anything. The only reason that it means anything now is bc it involves big time sponsorship deals.

so how did you bust out of the main event Jack Harris? this is really what is about right? some donk called you and you got busted. your idea is stupid, you want all the donks you can get. would you rather sit next to ivey and brunson or moneymaker and varkonyi? giving the pros 5 seats into the final table is also real bad because those pros didnt have the battle through the same field as everyone else. the great thing about the main event is that anyone can win it and everyone gets an equal chance.

Does the OP know what equity means? Buy a lottery ticket for better equity? What the hell are you talking about? "Mr. Harris, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."You have a good day now.

Does the OP know what equity means? Buy a lottery ticket for better equity? What the hell are you talking about? "Mr. Harris, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."You have a good day now.
Thank god, that quote is perfect for this.... Can we start a petition for banning someone?

I'll ignore the flames and trolls and keep it on-topic.No, nobody deserves an equal chance to play at the final table for the World Championship of Poker who has an equal chance to get there as a pro. 5 pros should be chosen from a seperate satellite for pros only. 5 seats at the final table will insure that the level of play is a good representation of poker to the viewing public. The WSOP 2007 will be a joke! if 20,000 are allowed to enter. It will be a joke because ESPN bills it as the World Championship of Poker.It started out that way but from the responses here it is obvious that the donks at this board think it's all about the money and being the World Champion of Poker means squat. Not to me.When I watch the ME I expect to see a table of professionals (not amateurs) playing the best poker in the world. So does everyone else. ESPN viewers don't want to watch donks getting lucky.

I'll ignore the flames and trolls and keep it on-topic.No, nobody deserves an equal chance to play at the final table for the World Championship of Poker who has an equal chance to get there as a pro. 5 pros should be chosen from a seperate satellite for pros only. 5 seats at the final table will insure that the level of play is a good representation of poker to the viewing public. The WSOP 2007 will be a joke! if 20,000 are allowed to enter. It will be a joke because ESPN bills it as the World Championship of Poker.It started out that way but from the responses here it is obvious that the donks at this board think it's all about the money and being the World Champion of Poker means squat. Not to me.When I watch the ME I expect to see a table of professionals (not amateurs) playing the best poker in the world. So does everyone else. ESPN viewers don't want to watch donks getting lucky.
"I'm sorry all I heard was blah blah blah I'm a dirty tramp." I will quote Adam Sandler movies for you all day long.
EquityYour "rightful" share of a pot. If the pot contains $80, and you have a 50% chance of winning it, you have $40 equity in the pot. This term is somewhat fanciful since you will either win $80 or $0, but it gives you an idea of how much you can "expect" to win. If you buy a $1 lottery ticket and you have $1 equity in a lottery pool (pot) that equals 1 million, then you can expect to win 1million. Yes, I know what equity is, and my complaint about you is that you don't get it--the WSOP is not about equity to pros--it's about winning the world championship.

OP should be executed.Honestly, if I could get away with it I'd shoot you like a rabbid dog, then joke with my friends at a bar about how much you cried before you took a bullet to the skull.Someone this dumb has absolutely no business being a part of the human race.Where's my ****ing prozac?

OP should be executed.Honestly, if I could get away with it I'd shoot you like a rabbid dog, then joke with my friends at a bar about how much you cried before you took a bullet to the skull.Someone this dumb has absolutely no business being a part of the human race.Where's my ****ing prozac?
BANAnyone who says that the WSOP ME is about equity is not a real poker player. Anyone like the above few who talk about Equity and that's why the pros will always play the WSOP ME is not a poker player of any weight or substance whatsoever. It was, before Harrah's, the World Championship, until online donks flooded it--like the donks posting flames in this thread.Donks have ruined the game. If the PGA allowed donks to play at the US Open then pro golf would be garbage. Keep the donks from winning by making them play 5 pros at the final table. Keep the game real. What a pathetic way to run and manage a sport! Poker championship final table chosen by the survivors in an 8 or 20 thousand player field, with thousands of the donks winning their entry fee for a buck.The gods and legends of poker spit.

You are an idiot, not one of your ideas could work without ruining the tournament. It wouldn't be as big of a deal to win if 5 pro's were garunteed to make the final table, or there was 200 entrants. The huge field, huge money, and the diverse group of players make the M.E. what it is. Not everybody wants top watch just tops pro's only, the fact that an college student (or anyone) can pay $30 online and wind up making big money is a big part of why poker is so popular today. This tournament isn't going to change durastically anytime in the near future and it shouldn't.

I think the buyin for the ME is just too low. It is supposed to be for the elite of the game not for any donk who can get in via a sat.The buy in should be min 25k if not 50k even. That would help limit the numbers and limit the donk factor. It should be an exclusive event.

Jack Harris you are a TROLL... everything you say on this thread (and any other thread) makes me want to throw up. You are some kind of mole for Jamie Gold, I just want you to disappear like 99% of the people responding to your idiotic posts/threads. You have some kind of agenda on this forum, (its obvious) This particular thread is totally pointless you arent even naming these "2 top pros", so as far as I am concerned you have zero credibility. I think I am in the majority here when I say that you are a cancer to FCP > please just die

EquityYour "rightful" share of a pot. If the pot contains $80, and you have a 50% chance of winning it, you have $40 equity in the pot. This term is somewhat fanciful since you will either win $80 or $0, but it gives you an idea of how much you can "expect" to win. If you buy a $1 lottery ticket and you have $1 equity in a lottery pool (pot) that equals 1 million, then you can expect to win 1million. Yes, I know what equity is, and my complaint about you is that you don't get it--the WSOP is not about equity to pros--it's about winning the world championship.
Your equity in a tournament goes UP when more bad players get in. Your equity in the lottery is not 1,000,000:1 because you put a dollar on it and if you win you win a million dollars, you have to figure out the combination of numbers of you hitting, which is something that I don't know.Your whole argument about the pros playing to be crowned champ and not for money is opinion. Why do the pros play in the main event? Hell, I don't know I think it has a lot more to do with the 12million dollar first prize than it does with being named "Champ".I'm sure DN would KILL to be like Varkonyi, champ that he was. Stupid DN, he'll probably never win one, even he admits it. I'm sure he wishes poker never exploded, it's not like he's adamently fighting FOR the WPT. I sure wish the ME only had all the best pro's and me, then it would be way better! :club:
If u love pros so much watch the tournament of champions and see mike sexton defeat them all....That should be fun for you. No leave the main event alone and go back to your 0.01/0.02 home game.

If garuntee 5 pro's at the final table it isn't a poker tournament. Winning a tourney is about all stages of the tourney, you can't garuntee anything except the amount of starting chips each player will get and what the buy in is. You can't say by default theses 5 pro's are at the final table, everyone else is playing for 4 spots. Possibly the dumbest thing i have ever heard. Only a DONK would say something ridiculous like that.