Help Me Find A College!

UconnVoted one of the top 3 party schools in the country by Playboy.
IU had claim to #1 a few years ago. I went to Purdue, so I know IU people that were all bragging about this like they finally won something in sports. I looked into it and read an article on how they base their rankings. A few of the things the rankings are based on are: arrests for underage drinking, arrests for public intox, and drug arrests. So, the higher up the list, could also mean the cops there just crack down a lot more than other places.I'm not saying Purdue is a better party school, that this is true for all the schools, or that any of them aren't a good time, but I found this to be funny.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anybody has a good suggestion, and i'm open to a lot of places, big schools, small schools, rural, urban, whatever. I need help!
Narrow this down. Pick what size you would like best. Pick what setting (rural/urban) you would like best. Pick what type of student body you want to be with (liberal, hippie, trendy, etc). You looking to be with people that are down to earth or frat/sorority types?If you don't narrow it down you can't expect any good recommendations.Oh, and don't go to Vassar.

actually, the happiest students are at pomona college. something else is 2 (maybe depaul), and stanford is 3.i'll be applying to pomona, stanford, USC Thornton school of music, cal, ucla. granted, i live in CA and dont wanna leave the state. you should come out here.

<Possibly Biased POV>I can tell you for certain you don't want to go to Vassar. If you want to go to school in that area, pick Marist. To list a few reasons:Vassar used to be a women college, and it is still mostly butch lesbians and weird guys. Vassar is in the part of Poughkeepsie you don't want to hang around in at night. This also causes students to be less proactive about bars, parties, and night life. Vassar is like 8 brazillion years old, the dorms, classrooms, etc are all just OLD. Sure it looks nice as scenery, but do you want to goto college in a castle, or a modernized school?Marist is on Route 9, right on the hudson river. It is scenic and nice. They have a pretty decent Poli Sci and debate program if that is your thing. The chicks are amazing and the partying is non stop. So yea, Vassar Nay, Marist Yay.</Possibly Biased POV>

F.u.c.k. SC! (From a UCLA grad). Anyway, good luck. LA is a great place to go to school.
UCLA sounds good even though i've done little research on it. I'm not sure if I'd go west, pretty sure i'll stay by the atlantic but I think i'll apply to at least on California school
Narrow this down. Pick what size you would like best. Pick what setting (rural/urban) you would like best. Pick what type of student body you want to be with (liberal, hippie, trendy, etc). You looking to be with people that are down to earth or frat/sorority types?If you don't narrow it down you can't expect any good recommendations.Oh, and don't go to Vassar.
I guess I dont want to live directly in a big city but be fairly close. UVA is close large cities while UF near Jacksonville and Orlando. Thats one reason Cornell isn't 100% right, cause they aren't near anything.
<Possibly Biased POV>I can tell you for certain you don't want to go to Vassar. If you want to go to school in that area, pick Marist. To list a few reasons:Vassar used to be a women college, and it is still mostly butch lesbians and weird guys. Vassar is in the part of Poughkeepsie you don't want to hang around in at night. This also causes students to be less proactive about bars, parties, and night life. Vassar is like 8 brazillion years old, the dorms, classrooms, etc are all just OLD. Sure it looks nice as scenery, but do you want to goto college in a castle, or a modernized school?Marist is on Route 9, right on the hudson river. It is scenic and nice. They have a pretty decent Poli Sci and debate program if that is your thing. The chicks are amazing and the partying is non stop. So yea, Vassar Nay, Marist Yay.</Possibly Biased POV>
Thanks, I basically said Vassar cause my "understanding" was it was a girl college, so there would be chicks there and it was only like 75 minutes from NYU. And like Dutch I'm not that into butch lesbians
George Mason has an excellent international politics program. Close to the capitol for good internships...
Georgetown would be great but I can't get in there, so anything near DC is good. UVA is near DC and Cornell has a Junior internship program there

Time to plug my Alma Mater:Go to Columbia University. You get to live in New York, which means that you get to see Radiohead two nights in a row at MSG when they play. What, are there other things you should consider when you pick a college?

I've had enough of your Vasser-bashing!

It all depends on how much money you have or if you expect to obtain a large scholarship. I was accepted to Cornell and almost went, but decided to attend Ohio University in Athens due to cost differences (also OU has an Honors program that rivals Ivy league for grad school placement and I made it into it). I know a number of people who went to great schools, took out student loans, and are now making around 50k a year with over 100k of student loans. That takes a long *** time to payoff and I do not recommend it. I was able to pay for my school myself, except for one small student loan (2,500) which I paid off my first year out of school. I know one girl that attended Harvard for a social work degree. She has 170k in student loans and is making $15/hour as a counselor for the State.Just do some research, figure what you can expect to make when you get out, and crunch the numbers to see if it makes any sense.Use good tuition bank roll management.

UCLA sounds good even though i've done little research on it. I'm not sure if I'd go west, pretty sure i'll stay by the atlantic but I think i'll apply to at least on California school
Let me know if you want any info on UCLA. I am involved with recruiting (just as a volunteer, however, so I have no clout with admissions).
Time to plug my Alma Mater:Go to Columbia University. You get to live in New York, which means that you get to see Radiohead two nights in a row at MSG when they play. What, are there other things you should consider when you pick a college?
[begin thread hijack]Do you know a John Conley? He studied physics at Columbia a few years ago(undergrad..). I went to graduate school with him for a time.
[begin thread hijack]Do you know a John Conley? He studied physics at Columbia a few years ago(undergrad..). I went to graduate school with him for a time.
No, he was probably before my time. I'm young.

The midwest schools are fun, specifically Western Michigan, MSU, U of M, and my college, the D2 powerhouse of Grand Valley State.Yeah, we may or may not have won the football championship 2 out of the last 3 years... just saying.Plus the girls are just multiplying by the second. Hot girls. Like really hot. Easy hot girls.Did I mention the ratio of guys to girls? It's in our favor. By a lot.

The midwest schools are fun, specifically Western Michigan, MSU, U of M, and my college, the D2 powerhouse of Grand Valley State.Yeah, we may or may not have won the football championship 2 out of the last 3 years... just saying.Plus the girls are just multiplying by the second. Hot girls. Like really hot. Easy hot girls.Did I mention the ratio of guys to girls? It's in our favor. By a lot.
Hm... tempting. A school called Calvin College recruited me to play soccer out of HS, its in G-Raps... u familiar with it?
Hm... tempting. A school called Calvin College recruited me to play soccer out of HS, its in G-Raps... u familiar with it?
Familar with in in the fact that I know it is in grand rapids... don't know anyone from there though, and haven't heard anything about the school.I think it's about 20-25 minutes from the main campus of GVSU, which is located about 20 minutes west of down town G.R.

Also, here's some great advice: be sure to apply with early admission (or early action or whatever). Do it to as many schools as you can, it really helps.

i dont know if this will sway ur decision not to come to the west coast but... most of the girls at USC are rich & gorgeous... think legal laguna beach girls ;)c/o '06 let me know if u have any questions about usc

i dont know if this will sway ur decision not to come to the west coast but... most of the girls at USC are rich & gorgeous... think legal laguna beach girls ;)c/o '06 let me know if u have any questions about usc
California is a long way from home, Ive lived in Flordia and Massachusetts so the West Coast is somewhere that no one would no me within a 1000 miles, which is pretty cool. I know the girls there are hot (check out cheerleader pic in picture thread) but the same thing goes for University of Miami. How is California, USC. UCLA or anyother school for that matter?Are the classes good? I want to actually learn a lot rather than party for 4 years but i still have a fair amount of party in me. How stimulating is the educational system out there i guess?
Just because the girls are hot doesn't mean you will be able to hook up with them.I'm going to the U of Minnesota this fall. I'll tell you how it is in a few months.
QFT, yep you got a good point, but my thought is if they overrun the jocky, preppy kids, then some will have to revert to banging me. Then again if i truly wanted girls in college i'd stay somewhere in florida

not sure what kind of government you're into, but if you are into political theory (which, yes, is a bit of a dying thing, but it will make you smarter than most politicians), my alma mater is a great place. you'll never have a class bigger than 25 students, and if you choose to work under ira strauber, you'll be working closely with one of the top constitutional law scholars in the US. the school's grinnell college. it's a liberal arts college in the middle of nowhere, iowa, but everything extracurricular is free, the curriculum's open (no reqs outside of majors), the parties are great (self-government, w00t), and if you do miss the cities, chicago and minneapolis are both about 3 hrs away for a weekend.it's expensive, but the school has a billion dollar endowment for just under 1500 students and will bend over backward to help you out if you get in.but if that seems too far away, i second no neck, who voted for mcgill in montreal. it's an amazing school in a seriously amazing city.good luck with the search!

How is California, USC. UCLA or anyother school for that matter?Are the classes good? I want to actually learn a lot rather than party for 4 years but i still have a fair amount of party in me. How stimulating is the educational system out there i guess?
i might be biased, but i love southern california... theres just so much to do. and its so close to vegas, the beaches...i actually transferred from UCLA to USC and from first hand experience i can tell you that what you learn at USC is way more hands on, while UCLA is more theory. but i was in the business program, so i dunno how it applies to the other majors. also both universities offer great programs, the student-faculty ratio at ucla is also higher, so there a lot of classes, especially the lower division classes, with over 300 students.i can tell you that overall, the students there are also very different. sc students are like family. and sc really treats you right, but i guess if ur paying that much more, than its expected. also, if ur into fraternities and stuff, the greek system at usc is well-established. many students are involved. if u believe networking is essential for ur career, then sc connects u with the best people.

University of Nebraska Lincoln because we're in the top 50 in the US, our football has an outside shot at being good again by the time you're a junior or senior, and the reeeeal reason:Tommy Lee went here for a few weeks.... :club: