what do you like in a dealer?

This is a post for all of you who still play live action games.I just started a new job as a poker dealer. I work at a private club in New York City that mostly spreads no limit and tournaments. I am curious to hear stories about dealers. What's the worse thing a dealer has ever done? The best? I'm not talking about what cards you get, but table manners. What makes you want to tip a dealer, outside of pocket aces.

as long as he is efficient and quick im happy. a sense of humor is a plus. plus knowing the game u play is good. u can run the game much better if u know what is going on.

I like ones that are friendly but not too friendly. Ones that can read the cards fairly quickly, shuffle efficiently, scoop the pot in a fairly neatish fashion, and ones that are neat and tidy. If you go to vegas, play at the Bellagio. They are all very professional there.

From Danielle's blog. Two of the best tournament players respond to her. Hi Danielle,I like dealers who are efficient, meaning that he/she doesnt make too many mistakes. I know that we are all human and everybody makes mistakes, but if a dealer makes 4 or 5 mistakes in one down that would kinda annoy me. I also like dealers who are happy to with their jobs (they are smiling, greet the players when they come into the box, etc.), but it doesnt mean that they have to talk nonstop (even worse complainning nonstop)or try to dominate the conversation. Actually, in the high limit games, a lot of the players (usually the bad players) dont like the dealers to talk. I am ok with reasonable amount of talk.Best regards,john juanda----------------------A good dealer is one that you don't notice. If I notice a dealer it's because they are making too many mistakes and are talking too much.You want to be nice, but don't get involved in conversation, that's a major pet peeve of mine. When people tip you, look them in the eye and say, "Thank you", people appreciate that.Speed is important, but efficiency is more important. Concentrate on dealing correctly, and work on speed last.Take care,Daniel Negreanuwww.fullcontactpoker.comwww.pokermountain.com

This is a post for all of you who still play live action games.I just started a new job as a poker dealer. I work at a private club in New York City that mostly spreads no limit and tournaments. I am curious to hear stories about dealers. What's the worse thing a dealer has ever done? The best? I'm not talking about what cards you get, but table manners. What makes you want to tip a dealer, outside of pocket aces.
Don't...- mention "pot odds" or anything about the game in a strategic sense, especially when it's something like $2/$4 where fish have no idea- forget to collect the SB and BB before dealing- ask why a player isn't posting from MP or LP when he/she opts to waitDo...- be yourself; whether very sociable or not - all dealers I've had have seemed like pretty easy-going people- talk about last night's crazy hand- remove decks with possibly marked cards as soon as you see them; I think many dealers are lazy with thisThe worst thing I believe a dealer has ever done in my brief experience is tried to talk about counting the size of the pot and pot odds. I was talking to someone about folding where I might've made something on the flop, and she stepped in on something about pot odds. I just stopped talking right after that. Good luck, it sounds like you'll do fine!

3 suggestions...1)Be friendly but dont be chatting with the players. I see dealers talking with regulars non stop about the bar they went to last night etc, it is very annoying.2)Call the game. I hate it when dealers don't call the game, it slows things down a lot.3)Enforce the rules, whether it is "one person to a hand" or "english only" please enforce the rules otherwise the players have to say something and that usually just causes arguments.

Dealers should never negatively have an affect on a game. Some might like it if the dealer simply dealt the cards, and made change, and otherwise wasn't heard of. I for one do like a dealer that talks a little, though not too much. The last thing you want is a dealer who is complaining and is grumpy. I can forgive misdeals and plenty as long as the dealer has a pleasant demenor. Good luck and may you enjoy.

Don't miscount chips. Don't make any mistakes. Deal fast, keep the action moving. More importantly, don't misdeal hands, especially when there is a monster bad beat jackpot on the game.And most of all, shut up--don't backseat drive the game--be friendly, look like you enjoy what you are doing, and shut the fu** up. Don't be opinionated. Be professional.We pay your rent biatch! We don't pay you for your opinions. If we want opinons we'll log onto FCP. We're striving for mutual respect. If we're happy, you're happy; and we can all avoid dealer abuse situations. :D

I of course feel more than competent to opine. Also, I've played in an underground game where the dealer is essentially only earning tips.1. Be prompt and efficient with the deal and the pace of the game. i.e. move the play along, "It's $10 to you sir..." if there's a player that seems out of touch.2. Be able to disappear when necessary. If the game gets exciting, like an interesting re-raise, blend into the background. There's no need for a play by play when it's heads up unless one player doesn't know what's going on.3. Respond in kind. If the client wants to engage you, be engaging. If the player is quiet, no need to try to bring them out of their shell. 4. A good dealer collects the rake invisibly. This is what stop me from doing it, I can't keep count of the pot that quickly.5. Announce clearly. Actually, is it the dealer's responsibility to announce the winning hand? i.e. Two pair - Aces up. I have a tough time seeing what the winning hand is sometimes. Even online, when it's on the chat box, I'm a little surprised sometimes. Who had the straight flush?6. Be close to perfect dealing. If you make a mistake, be proactive and announce your error. Sometimes, I'm like, "Misdeal? where?" 7. Be professional and painfully obvious about rules issues, some players really don't know any better (me included). But that's just me.

I guess everyone has already mentioned what it takes to be a good dealer. The best place for dealers (the have been too anyway) is the Borgata. Never have I had a dealer that was mean, unfriendly, or most importantly incompetant. They are really cool people. They will only talk to you if you talk to them and it results in a good convo usually about last lasts bad beat. They are also really professional aswell. Last night this guy at my table was about 60 Jack and Cokes deep. He told us that he lives at the Borgata and has thousands of all dollars in his room safe.....blah.....blah....anyway we had an Asian dealer.....cool guy.....dealt me Aces Kings and Nines....hahaha.....so anyway this guy that was drunk was like to the Dealer whats your name......Dealer: my name is Pete......Drunk Guy: No way your name can be beat......Dealer: why because in Asian......Drunk Guy: Shouldnt you name be like Xanau (something stupid that didnt make sense). The dealer just shrugged it off and kept dealing. Very professional I dont know if i could have done that. All in all very good exepreince with the dealers at Borgota

I like my dealer to have breasts, but guys are cool too.Be yourself. If you're funny and people tend to like you, use it when appropriately. Someone said it great above, "Talk when talked to. But leave people alone if they want quiet."And have fun. Your job beats the heck out of mine.

dont try and persuade people to post their BB if they say no...happens all the time at Canterbury....."you waited an hour, you might as well play!" they sayother than that saying thank you is very important...people remember that -- not just the tipper but the other people at the table as well who will know you truly appreciate it

The best dealer I ever had was found out to be at the hockey game the night before and all he said about it was "Cloutier sucks." Later, when a player lost and stormed off, he said "Go kill yourself." It was the best night ever.

efficient dealing(at a fast pace) and a good personality. roll with the punches as they are bound to happen. other than that commnd the table dont let someone side seat deal for you. Ive noticed(myself included) that mistakes or mis counts = me or someone else side seat delaing which overall equals a shitty experiance for everyone else. Make sure you know whats happening and command the game even tho you are not playing. good luck.

Ive seen people throw their cards at dealers. Literally, flinging their cards and hitting the dealer in the face. Ive seen cute girls get cursed out for repeatedly dealing a player bad cards, because obviously dealers have control over the cards(if this one does you need to find another game, possibly even another poker room). Ive seen drunks call dealers names and insult them for no particular reason at all.I think there needs to be some sort of standard in which the players themselves conduct themselves. You got sucked out on? Ok, deal with it like an adult. If it upsets you that much, then, going out on a limb here Im guessing you are playing above your bankroll because the amount affects your mood too much for it not to.(extreme circumstances dont apply also, NL games dont apply either, those amounts are big period and one big loss is probably a significant percentage of your bankroll). Random submission to avoid boredom

i have spoken to dealers that i consider to be good, and correctly assumed to make more than average tips. they have told me that they make $50 to $75 k a year depending on whetehter or not they work the night shift or not. they all have things in common such as: speed, they deal quickly and efficiently, and keep the action moving. i estimate that they get 3-5 more hands an hour in than the average dealer. they have a personality. whether they are sarcastic, wiitty, funny, or all 3 the dealers that make the $ are not silent. they are well groomed. and maybe most importanlty, they speak perfect english. in atlantic city, there's a good chance that your dealer has been in this country less than a year. i have had dealers that spoke NO english. this just kills the pace of the game. i have nothing against immigrants, but i want a dealer that can split a pot and call a game, and a person that knows no english can't do this. if you know the games, are quick and decisive, and have a bit of flair, you will make more money than anyone playing in your game. i honestly don't know why more small time pro poker players that play live just don't deal instead. you make can make much better than average money, have health care, and no stress all while being at the same table as the grinders.

I play at home games but we normally have a dealer.My favorite one is:Quick without rushing everyoneSmiles and you get this feeling he is having a good timeWhen you have a bad beat, he smiles at you with sympathyWhen you win a big pot, he smiles at you with prideHe doesn't play favorites, if he talks, he talks to the whole groupHe makes 6 hours of play feel like an hour or two at best!Granted, I play with dealers who are not professional dealers... However, the one I described above, is now going through dealer school. I can't imagine him getting better than he is, but I am sure he will! :D

One thing that really ticks me off is fishing for tips continually.What I mean is after every freaking hand regardless of how bad their hand and plays were I have to hear "NICE HAND SIR VERY NICE HAND! NICE ONE WOW!" over and over.When a dealer is going this I usually don't tip after I win a pot. It is annoying and not very professional in my opinion.

I guess I'm surprsied to read that some people won't tip after they win a pot. Most people tip the BB or 2xBB at least. If I win a big pot, I'll give the dealer a nice tip.Remember, we're trying to make a living. I understand it can get annoying if people are fishing for tips-- but we have to. Otherwise, we don't pay rent, eat, etc.

A good dealer should always be propmt, available at most hours, always have quality goods, and have them at good prices. Most of all they should never rip you off with schwagg. :D:):):)