Party 10/20 Players Talking Smack About Hsp On Gsn

Wow you are naive. "They are on TV so they are all unbeatable!!!"
Yeah, I don't get why so many people think this way. The players in the big game are definitely the best cash game players in the world, but I don't think that they are the best NLHE cash game players in the world, and would be beatable by many players.
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I don't get why so many people think this way. The players in the big game are definitely the best cash game players in the world, but I don't think that they are the best NLHE cash game players in the world, and would be beatable by many players.
Interestingly, in HSP season one Doyle talks about the No Limit cash game and how a lot of the players at that table didn't have enough understanding of 'how it works'. Gott love the old guy smack talking, although I am totally on his side!
Interestingly, in HSP season one Doyle talks about the No Limit cash game and how a lot of the players at that table didn't have enough understanding of 'how it works'. Gott love the old guy smack talking, although I am totally on his side!
Exactly. Players like Harman even admit to not being well versed in NLHE Cash games, and basically she said she just played tight and solid the entire time. Minimized her losses, and got about 8 hours of TV exposure, which will be worth it for her in the long run.
Like I said earlier, most of us agree on this point. Its just that the "many players" who could beat them, are most likely not playing 10/20.

The online pros are making a shitttt load of money and are seing close to a 100k hands a monthHow is this relevant at all to skill level?Just because they can make a lot of money utilizing the internet's economy of scale, and because they can take advantage of very weak players, doesn't mean they are ACTUALLY good players.The methods you use to extract money from weak players will simply not work on skilled players. What these 10/20 players have developed is an ability to beat weak players by applying a fairly basic strategy, and multiplying it by many tables.It's like talking about some basketball player who dominates the high school game. Sure, some of them have the game to make it in the NBA, but most don't.And only time will tell - if and when these people ever manage to crawl out of their multi-tabling internet hole and sit down in a live game.

The best online players are no doubt very good poker players, but very few of them have the intangibles of a live poker player. I am sure that many of them would have very basic tells on a live table, that the HSP players would chew up and spit out. But other than that matter, I believe the very best online players are very close in skill to the HSP pros, and maybe even have an edge in some games ONLINE. But I would really like to see them play live in a show, the very best online players vs. The best known poker players in the world. Have some sponsor throwdown some dough so the stakes can be level, and actually see if these players can hold up to their word on the felt.

People:It is not "clever" or "sophisticated" to call huge reraises out of position with hands that are CERTAIN to be a severe underdog to the opponent's reraising range when said player has a medium-short stack. It's just losing poker, and it can be mathematically proven. In short, it is impossible to make money in the long run in these situations because you can't make enough money when you outflop your opponent These are the kind of mistakes that the best players in the Party 10/20 NL NEVER (barring misclicks) make, but they are being made by some of the players on HSP. There is the remote possibility that "The Pros" are making these sorts of errors for image reasons, but it is much more likely to be a mistake.

The online pros are making a shitttt load of money and are seing close to a 100k hands a monthHow is this relevant at all to skill level?
It's an explanation for why they wouldnt necessarily move up to higher stakes.I'd be willing to bet that most of the name pro's in HSP would make more 4 tabling 10/20NL than they would playing 50/100NL on UB.

What I don't think has been mentioned here is that if you are playing multiple tables online - you clearly aren't really playing your opponent - you have to just have a rote strategy that works for you - i refuse to believe that guys playing 5 tables at once can recognize patterns of online playersThe live game is all about playing the players so these guys would have to make a huge adjustment - anybody playing a rote style would be as readable as a Dr Seuss book or Phil HellmuthThe thing I really find interesting about the HSP shows is that the different players definitely have different goals for sitting there Jerry Buss and Freddie Chamanara are trying to survive (which is why Matasow's call with his jack high flush though usually a no brainer was to me questionable)Antonio and Laak and Grinder and grinding looking for great starting handsDaniel is obviously looking to cause havok and make a big scoreSammy is just having a great time and playing genius fun poker