Flopped The Nuts And Folded.

Playing in a live $250 freeze out tourney with 50 people and 20 now left.payout is to top 6.long story short is UTG raises to double the blinds and there are 2 decent players who call (TAG) and me with 8/6h. I am the second biggest stack of those who call.Flop : 7s5s4cUTG bets the pot. (I put him on over cards and continuation bet) Player 2 raises ALL-In (he has board covered)Player 3 thinks and thinks and CallsI fold and show nuts as UTG announces his fold UTg foldsnow I fold thinking that one of them has the Nut flush draw and the other may, MAY have trips.Everyone thinks I am crazy for folding the nuts but I am focused on making the final table and don't want to bust out in one hand when I feel I am a pretty much guaranteed to make it if I stick to smaller pots.The board paired and the first guy hit a boat. The other guy did have the flush draw (K high) My question has nothing to do with this particular result. My question is...is that a good fold in general when in a tourney???Also, I got 6th place but that does not matter here.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very, very weak tight.Playing to make the final table and playing to win are two different things.

Wow...I just ran the odds on cardplayer and you're not as ahead as one might think. At best against these two hands that you put those players on, you're only 38% to win, and the set is 35% and the flush draw is at 25%.That's an interesting fold and food for though. Personally, I jam here everytime and leave it up to the poker gods...but that's just me

Wait a second, if UTG folded how did he hit a boat?
new UTG? and yes if you fold the nutz becuase you are scared, then you are just that, a scared poker player....remember, poker is about not making mistakes over the course of time...you sir made one...if you make that call (to fold) every time, you will cost yourself moneyand agree with above, jamming is the answer...make them make the wrong decision to call as an underdog
Wow...I just ran the odds on cardplayer and you're not as ahead as one might think. At best against these two hands that you put those players on, you're only 38% to win, and the set is 35% and the flush draw is at 25%.That's an interesting fold and food for though. Personally, I jam here everytime and leave it up to the poker gods...but that's just me
Even if we're 38%, that's the absolute worst we could be. Getting over 2-1 on our money, this is automatic. Only way I fold this is if there's 7 players left, and top 6 get the same prize in a satellite.

Yeah, bad fold, but if you are playing to get sixth i guess I could make this play. But still you are at 40%, the set is at 35%, and the nut flush is at like 25%, so even though you are ahead, you will usually lose this hand. It's tough to get that good a read though.

Wait a second, if UTG folded how did he hit a boat?
so who exactly had what again? I agree with 2bthebest, if UTG folded how could he have filled up?I would have called as you are a 65% favourite against the flush and approximately a 62% favourite against the house.My math could be off correct me if I am wrong please.EDIT: I just read the odds above and apparantly I am way off. Don't listen to anything I have to say :club:

Stack sizes may have an impact, but i doubt it. If the stacks are very deep at this point then folding may be ok, but other than that it is a poor play. Folding means you are waiting for a better spot to put your money in, and you are already a favorite here. If you fold here you should have folded 68 preflop, this is the best flop you could hope for.

Even if we're 38%, that's the absolute worst we could be. Getting over 2-1 on our money, this is automatic. Only way I fold this is if there's 7 players left, and top 6 get the same prize in a satellite.
Oh don't get me wrong, I agree that this is an autocall as well and we hope for the best from the poker gods. I just thought we were more ahead than this
Stack sizes may have an impact, but i doubt it. If the stacks are very deep at this point then folding may be ok, but other than that it is a poor play. Folding means you are waiting for a better spot to put your money in, and you are already a favorite here. If you fold here you should have folded 68 preflop, this is the best flop you could hope for.
He has a point
this fold is acceptable. ASSUMING your read is dead on. assuming all comprable stack sizes OP, and OP at 38% his positive equity is so little.everyone who said this is a dumb fold must insta call with 22 when they know they are against AK cuz thats about comprable positive equity
Are you telling me that you'll fold 22 to an all in if you are 100% positive that you are up against AK preflop? Where do you play?
EXACTLY

if you are all that worried about getting to the ft why did you even call pre flop? YOu call with hands like 8 6 to hit flops like that, if not you shouldn't of even been in there.