Thought it would interesting to share tricks/mistells for both on and offline.Mine are pretty basic but they work.Live: Counting chips behind the line. Wow does this work.Example: $2/$5 NL UTG limps, LJ: AK in MP, raise to $20 UTG: Callsflop is 757 with two hearts.UTG fires out $35. I count out chips behind the line in stacks of $10's up to $100 (looks HUGE). In my peripheral I see dude go back and look at his cards. I push in the $100, he folds. It's not a particularly exciting hand/move, but it just highlights how much free information you can get.Online: Waiting/Tanking. You want a call? Wait. Bluffing? Wait before betting.Whatever you want your opponent to think, waiting seems to do it.

It's not a particularly exciting hand/move, but it just highlights how much free information you can get.Online: Waiting/Tanking. You want a call? Wait. Bluffing? Wait before betting.Whatever you want your opponent to think, waiting seems to do it.
This does work. Sometimes I catch myself betting to fast. I know wait a little before I bet or call with the nuts. Even a hesitant call, then raise on the turn or river works as well.

There are lots but one tell that comes to mind is people who check super-fast. Most believe that to click the pre-action button for 'Check' is a sign of weakness, which I suppose it is in a lot of people. But since this is so well known a lot now do it when they hold the nuts or close to it. Obviously it's best to find out which it is first but you'll find out soon enough when he insta-checks, you bet, and he immediately raises. Dude's got teh goods.

I find one thing that is fun to mess with peoples perception of the initial bet is to be a weird amount in a tournament...say there is 1800 in the pot and you are firing at the pot put in something like 977...the different colour chips that are on the screen i find throw some people off, because it's much harder to initially calculate the money in there, and affects people calculating odds in their heads

I find one thing that is fun to mess with peoples perception of the initial bet is to be a weird amount in a tournament...say there is 1800 in the pot and you are firing at the pot put in something like 977...the different colour chips that are on the screen i find throw some people off, because it's much harder to initially calculate the money in there, and affects people calculating odds in their heads
I've done that before while bluffing with fantastic results. Those different color chips scare the_shit out of people sometimes.
I've done that before while bluffing with fantastic results. Those different color chips scare the_shit out of people sometimes.
Uh make sure you're pretty careful with that. I've seen way too many people who only bet odd numbers on semi-/bluffs and 'normal' amounts when they have something. It's almost comical how predictable this is on some people. Usually, unless I'm multi-tabling, I bet weird numbers all the time since I agree it does seem to have a psychological impact on some. Just be consistent with it. :club:
Uh make sure you're pretty careful with that. I've seen way too many people who only bet odd numbers on semi-/bluffs and 'normal' amounts when they have something. It's almost comical how predictable this is on some people. Usually, unless I'm multi-tabling, I bet weird numbers all the time since I agree it does seem to have a psychological impact on some. Just be consistent with it. :D
Trust me, I am very careful with it. :club:
Online: Waiting/Tanking. You want a call? Wait. Bluffing? Wait before betting.
Um, "if you want a call, wait." Okay. "Bluffing? Wait." Um, okay. But I thought I should wait if I want a call. When I'm bluffing I don't want a call.
Um, "if you want a call, wait." Okay. "Bluffing? Wait." Um, okay. But I thought I should wait if I want a call. When I'm bluffing I don't want a call.
I just saw that you had a post in here and wanted to tell you that you should be working on your knuckleball, not discussing poker. Your performance Tuesday night was abysmal and almost made me ashamed that I once traded a 1992 Bowman Cliff Floyd for your 1992 Donruss "The Rookies" card.
I just saw that you had a post in here and wanted to tell you that you should be working on your knuckleball, not discussing poker. Your performance Tuesday night was abysmal and almost made me ashamed that I once traded a 1992 Bowman Cliff Floyd for your 1992 Donruss "The Rookies" card.
Well everybody knows you shouldn't trade a Bowman for a Donruss.
If you play against good players, they will eventually pick up on these tendencies.
good players? comeon we're talking about online here...i'd hope if we're good enough to try and psych out other players we could pick up who the fish and sharks are at a table....and try not to make us stand out in a crowd
Thought it would interesting to share tricks/mistells for both on and offline.Mine are pretty basic but they work.Live: Counting chips behind the line. Wow does this work.Example: $2/$5 NL UTG limps, LJ: AK in MP, raise to $20 UTG: Callsflop is 757 with two hearts.UTG fires out $35. I count out chips behind the line in stacks of $10's up to $100 (looks HUGE). In my peripheral I see dude go back and look at his cards. I push in the $100, he folds.
what if the guy was looking at his cards to make sure he had the seven... now that would of been funnyoh and by the way 757 is my area code. cool huh
This does work. Sometimes I catch myself betting to fast. I know wait a little before I bet or call with the nuts. Even a hesitant call, then raise on the turn or river works as well.
Doesn't work on me.Any hesitations and I automatically get cautious. Too many people use this.And it's not usually a bluff, it's usually the nuts.
And it's not usually a bluff, it's usually the nuts.
You can almost hear the guy say out loud "Wow is he really going to bet into me? am I dreaming? do I raise or slowplay? holy shite this flop is awesome. damn how can I get the most chips. Hey Bobby come over here check this out. Wow he's actually going to bluff into me on this..."

It really depends on who's using these click tells. I know some players who intentionally take a long time to check to make you think they are going to check raise and then they fold to a flop bet. I'm not sure why they do this, because they essentially give away their hand when they try to give off hollywood tells, it's not hard to remember it.Then there are some who will actually take a while before betting when they have the goods. Personally, I just stick to the same clicking pattern, I play at the same pace all the time, so it wouldn't be possible to pick up these things. Believe it or not, clicking tells are valuable information to use online. A bet saved here or there per session adds up over time.

Stupid question:That is the actual Tim Wakefield? From Baseball?- Zach
Stupid question:That is the actual Tim Wakefield? From Baseball?- Zach
Yes, and his inability to focus on his job rather than poker is the reason why America's Team is 2-1 instead of 3-0.
First, I kinda doubt Wakefield lives in Brooklyn...And second, to address his post. Yes, what I wrote in the quote above is correct. Waiting is a multi-functional tool that seems to put doubt into your opponent's mind. I've noticed that it works in almost any situation if applied correctly.If you raise big before the flop, totally brick it... wait half the max time, then bet, they fold to the presumed "monster." If you have a monster and know that your opponent is barely interested in the pot with their TPWK, and you want them to call you on the river... take half the max time. They think you are bluffing and/or missed, every time.
First, I kinda doubt Wakefield lives in Brooklyn...And second, to address his post. Yes, what I wrote in the quote above is correct. Waiting is a multi-functional tool that seems to put doubt into your opponent's mind. I've noticed that it works in almost any situation if applied correctly.If you raise big before the flop, totally brick it... wait half the max time, then bet, they fold to the presumed "monster." If you have a monster and know that your opponent is barely interested in the pot with their TPWK, and you want them to call you on the river... take half the max time. They think you are bluffing and/or missed, every time.
But surely you can see the fallacy in your original argument - if you want a call, wait, if you want a fold, wait. It can't very well be both.
But surely you can see the fallacy in your original argument - if you want a call, wait, if you want a fold, wait. It can't very well be both.
Yes, yes I can.But that's why I posted it because it's fricken' magical.For whatever reason waiting introduces doubt into your opponent's mind. Doubt that their hand is good, doubt that my hand is good.It's situational, but waiting works both ways. But yes, I definitely see the fallacy.